Railroad Line Forums - Cricut Project
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 48 ]  [ Total: 48 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Cricut Project
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: o scale swsm oneills fabricating Topic Next Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast
Page: of 6

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  2:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck, i wish I had this capability when I build a couple City Classics kits.

I've completed all the rafters. I consulted with my architect friend and he agreed they didn't have to be on 2' centers. In fact since the building is 50' long spacing them at 5' would be OK for a 1950 era building. I saved a lot of time and now have a bunch of gussets left over.

I made a jig out of heavy cardstock to keep the rafters in place while I glue the stringers to them. Of course, the jig pieces were cut out with the Cricut machine. I think it will be easier, with more accurate results, to build the rafters and stringers on the jig and then glue the whole assembly to the top of the kit's cement block walls.

George

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  3:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks really good, George. I think you are right about making all the rafters and stringers with the Cricut.

Chuck

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  4:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks so sharp. Good work George.

It's only make-believe

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  08:11:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Chuck and Robert. I've started the stringers and they're going to take a while.

George

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  1:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice and skillful George.

Håkan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  7:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  8:25:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Håkan ad Carl. Hopefully I'll have an update in a couple of days.

George

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  8:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good, are you cutting purloins next?

Jim

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  10:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George - you da'Cricut Man. The trusses look great. My wife just received new Cricut machine, humm.

Does Cricut accept AutoCAD?

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 08/08/2018 10:17:36 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  11:07:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm tempted to buy a Cricut or similar machine -just to cut window glazing-.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  4:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments and encouragement.

Jim, I've been keeping the construction crew busy. The plywood is actual 1/64” thick birch plywood cut on the Cricut machine. I wish it was a lighter color wood, but that's all I could find. I've cut enough 4x8 sheets to make a stack that the workers are working from. The Cricut's accuracy is great for this. I tried to cut the wood making 6 passes with the machine's blade, but it didn't cut all the way through. It was a simple matter of making a couple light passes with a #11 blade, following the Cricut's cut lines to complete the cuts.

Frank, I use AutoSketch, which was a part of the AutoCad family. I say “was” because it's no longer supported by AutoCad. Design Space, the Cricut cutting software, is supposed to be able to take SKF files, which are the AutoSketch output. It doesn't. I have to copy and paste to Inkscape (free CAD program) and save it as an SVG file. An extra step, but no big deal.

Dave, here's my first attempt at adding window panes to a frame. That window is HO. The ones that don't look like they quite fit were glued in at an angle. They would fit if glued in correctly. I need to improve my technique. The machine is great at cutting the panes at exactly the right size, the problem is the right size is damn small!

George

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  5:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, could you use some sort of tacky "tack-it" glue on the top of a Q-Tip or even microbrush to position the windows?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  5:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, this build is looking great. These machines can sure make our life easier.

It's only make-believe

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  9:04:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Robert. I'm not sure if it's making my life easier or the machine is forcing me to do more complex things.

I've been playing with window panes this evening. Following Dave's suggestion, I used a Uhu (temporary) glue stick. It was the only thing I had that wasn't permanent. I dabbed a toothpick in to the end of the glue stick and then used that to pick up a pane of glass (0.010 clear styrene). I dabbed a little canopy cement inside the window opening and inserted the glass. I held the window frame tight against a sheet of glass on the workbench and pressed the window in place with another toothpick. It's slow, but I'm getting the hang of it and my speed will improve.

I have a total of nine windows to do. I think I have enough supplies, but if not, I'll tell Cricut to cut me some more.

George

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  11:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, I thought I was nuts. George, you're nuts. Holy smokes. Gluing in each individual window pane would really, really, really test my patience.

But, I do love how the light catches each pane, differently. Looking very nice. But, holy smokes.

Chuck

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: o scale swsm oneills fabricating Topic Next Topic: final pics of the scratch built bed and breakfast  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000