Railroad Line Forums - The Tenement and others - Module #6. Finale.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 The Tenement and others - Module #6. Finale.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dickens Victorian London Build Topic Next Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil
Page: of 70

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 12/25/2018 :  3:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Carl and Frank.

I took this this morning with just the natural light through the kitchen window. It's a little more "real world" and the awnings aren't so see-through.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/25/2018 :  4:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New "old" awnings look great!

Pete
in Michigan

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2018 :  05:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrell,

I wouldn't worry about bleed through, I know we all have problems trying to remember long ago
but I lived through the 1930's and 40's and as I remember it the real awnings bled through too.
In fact, when I make model awnings I print the striped materials on my computer and then flip
it over and print the undersides with the same stripes in muted colors.

In other words I print the bleed through on purpose.

Merry Christmas,

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2018 :  08:37:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Pete and Bob !!

I guess the reason I had any concern about the bleed through was that I was trying to capture the look of the prototype (fist picture I posted), the undersides are definitely a solid color. And I went through extra effort to achieve that look. I couldn't print or paint the underside because it bled through changing the color of the topside, especially the stripes. I ended up painting another piece of tissue and then laminating the two together. After all of that I wanted it to be seen, at least once.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  12:48:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I debated over doing the awnings over the TV shop. In the ever changing world of Mayberry, sometimes they were there, sometimes they were not. Sometimes they were the same pattern, sometimes different. But they were always one long awning. And so, since I didn't know what my next step was going to be, I decided to go ahead and add them. While I was trying to figure out my next step.

Before the awnings, I tarred and graveled the main roof and added a couple of handles for ease in removal.

And now I'm back to figuring out what my next step is.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  12:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your next step is to step back, pat yourself on the back and take a bow. Terrific job.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  1:15:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps a wee bit of weathering, and then call it a day! Great job Fred!

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  1:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Frank!!

Carl, I have done a wee bit of weathering. I guess it's not enough, the light washes it out. Perhaps I'll wee a little more.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  2:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For some reason the camera exaggerates the tiniest of errors but hides weathering that is in any way subtle.

Mike

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  3:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got that right, Mike!

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  10:36:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to go ahead and do the sidewalk around the shops. I have several 4'x4' sheets of styrene, actually I don't know for sure what the material is but it walks like styrene and quacks like styrene, so that's what I call it. It's .040 thick. I cut it to size and shape, roughed it up with course sandpaper, to give it texture and laminated two sheets together for thickness then carved in the joints.

As you can see the styrene is black, so I painted it with Rustoleum Smokey Beige. I masked off the center so as to not be gluing the building to paint later on.

Then it was weathered with I/A, so the light could wash it out.

The right side is abbreviated because I am almost sure I am going to build another building to place on that side, when I figure out what, and I'm expecting there to be an alley between the two.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  10:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks fabulous!

The "Next Step" is obviously to protect your investment here by putting Barney Fife on patrol....

Pete
in Michigan

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  3:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred, not a bad looking sidewalk and foundation all in one. Great idea with the styrene. I'm going to try it with some Sintra I have on hand. For the life of me, I've used all kinds of materials for sidewalks, and never thought about trying plastic.. So, again, nice going Fred'. Another very good idea from you'..thanks'

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  7:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fred,
Another winner....Fantastic job on the structure and accessories!!
dave

David Guffey

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/30/2018 :  7:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Page: of 70 Previous Topic: Dickens Victorian London Build Topic Next Topic: Hamlin Wizard Oil  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000