Railroad Line Forums - The Tenement and other builds - The grocery
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 The Tenement and other builds - The grocery
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: On building MoW cars
Page: of 39

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  8:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Fred, now that the basements windows are in, are there 2 basement apartments down there that will be lighted with the rest of the building. Of course that's after you get the roof on...
Funny though, my local Lowes has that crown molding in stock that was discussed. I use it for cornice. Never thought for a mansard...

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  9:50:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OUTSTANDING!

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  08:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The masterpiece continues.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  11:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ted, Kebmo and Frank !!

And the reason for the cork.

Future ground cover will blend it in better but first, I think I am going to work on the downspouts. That way I am not reaching over the front yard to work on them.

And the tenement is now glued to the foundation.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  11:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred,
Great tutorial. I like using the cork for subground too, because you can make the edges irregular and chewed-up looking, like prototype ground is. Very difficult to do using other materials. Have you decided how you are planning on making the curves in the roof if you're not going to use the molding? You can refer to that manual I sent you for options.
Rich

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  12:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, I haven't totally given up on the molding idea. If I find something reasonable. If not I'll be referring to that manual and other input I have received. Right now I'm successfully avoiding the roof.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  8:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred, molding or no molding, even with out the roof'. This is one EXTRAORDINARY build'.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  10:20:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ted.

Honestly, I'm more concerned about the shingles than I am the shape of the roof.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  07:09:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred, those shingles look shiny, what do you think they were made of?

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  08:11:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they are metal shingles, Bill. They look shiny and smooth. But the upper part appears to be diamond shingles.

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  10:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I may be wrong about the shingles. If you zoom in on the little bit of roof that's showing in the close-up picture. They look like standard 3 tab asphalt shingles.

I don't know why they look shiny.

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  11:16:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Slate shingles, perhaps?

Chuck

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  11:23:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Slate shingles, perhaps?

Chuck

Good question. Wondered about that earlier, but didn't post....

Pete
in Michigan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  11:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Fred... Standard three tab.

Perhaps that is how rain has been washing down the trim paint color onto the shingles? The low direct sunlight maybe making it appear more bright.

At any rate, it's your model...decide and proceed without guilt.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  11:36:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred, The original photo you posted is by Jack Delano,
Children with adult in the tenement district, Brockton, Massachusetts, December 1940 (maybe 1939?). It can be found a bunch of places online, but when I looked for it at the Library of Congress website there was a 'No Image Available' notice for some reason.

I was trying to find a high resolution version of it to look more closely at the shingles. The best I could find isn't that good.

It does look like the shingles on the upper roof above the dormers could be diamond shaped, but that might also be an artifact from the digitalization of the photo.

Although asphalt-felt-like shingles were around in New England as early as the 1840s, I don't think the shingles on the main roof are simple three tab shingles.

Their apparent shininess may also only be the result the contrast and color being shifted in the process of digitizing the image.

They might be slate shingles. That would be appropriate for elaborate buildings like those two. And slate can match the diamond pattern on the upper roof.

Ah, you think, but the main roof is concave and slate doesn't bend. At least that's what I thought until looking online for images of slate mansard roof. I found several right away that were slate and on a concave roof similar to your photo.

The top courses of shingles in the blown up part of the photo are shorter than three tab (green arrow) and vertically aligned (yellow arrow). That's kind of unusual.

Fortunately, if you do decide the shingles are slate, yours can be made from something more flexible.

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: On building MoW cars  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000