Railroad Line Forums - SL&N construction blog
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 88 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Tunnel liner
Page: of 39

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  9:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I don't thinkI've seen more than a bazillion of those little brooks with rocks in them hurrying down toward the sea in the area you're modeling, so you may be on to something....

But Mike is the Professional, so I'd go with his version!

Pete
in Michigan

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2019 :  10:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Did you put a coat of urethane or some type of moisture barrier on that MDF?

Jim

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2019 :  5:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been rocking out in the mill valley

And I did some test fits of the backdrop on the MDF/hardboard mounts.

Once the rest of the scenery is in place, I'll go back over the rocks with pigments or Pan Pastels.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2019 :  5:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well if this was a western prototype I would expect to see some rocks that were rolling but it's not so I'm eager to see how you develop the eastern scene. It's looking good so far. You got a good random rock placement.
Bob

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 08/15/2019 5:56:30 PM

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2019 :  7:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very believable scene Dave. Looks great.

TomO

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2019 :  2:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the weekend I added a few more rock castings then covered the plaster cloth with Sculptamold. Today I painted the rock castings the primer color (dark grey), and then painted the streambed with a craft color "green black". That already gives the look of a streambed, but once it's dry I'll go back over it with regular black to fill in/even out the color.

Then I'll add the scenic base for the stream. On the hills, I'll paint the "dirt" a relatively dark color to more resemble weatherd rock. Then I'll plan sparse bushes, etc, to give the sense of some steep slopes with little ground cover.

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2019 :  2:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks good

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2019 :  09:01:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still at it, slowly working on scenery in the mill stream. Pictures maybe late today.

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2019 :  1:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, don't rush it. But you're not writing in stone either. I don't like it can be redone easily. It not like a building g or a car.

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2019 :  09:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Work-in-progress...

After I touch up the black paint, I think I'll put a layer of gloss medium down. That way, if I don't like it, it'll be easy to paint over. When that's thoroughly dry, I can consider the Magic Water.

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2019 :  09:51:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Dave!

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2019 :  1:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been following along to get some ideas for scenery. Looking good Dave.

Bernd

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2019 :  7:23:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I took a bottle of gloss medium and carefully poured it in the stream bed. My thought is "this will test to make sure the bed is waterproof, will help me see a bit more where the waterline will be, and will be a good base for some transparent color." That turned out to be an excellent idea! First thing I realized was that the very front of the stream was lower than I thought. That's because the medium came right up and then over the edge. So I quickly added a barrier. That barrier wasn't totally waterproof, but gloss medium is A Lot easier to clean up off the floor than Magic Water or EnviroTex, etc. Additionally, the bed wasn't quite as level as I thought, so the left edge is higher than the right edge. That'll be OK when I put 1/4" or more of the Magic Water into the stream.

Anyway, that'll dry tomorrow and I can touch up/color the bed (with that black-green color I tried before.). I can also replan the waterline, and paint higher than that (some places I didn't have the water foundation color anywhere near high enough...)

I also got a box of "shrubberies" from Scenic Express (mostly the great looking Martin Welberg stuff.) I went for more late summer/fall colors, because the soil on those steep slopes won't be very good, so any plants there will probably be stressed. Plus it won't be very dense, so it's worth paying for the best looking individual plants.

dave

Edited by - deemery on 08/28/2019 7:41:35 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/28/2019 :  7:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Iím looking forward to seeing the shrubberies. I have a need myself.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/28/2019 :  8:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent progress, Dave!

But you're gonna need to find a Shrubber, and I think they come dear, so be careful!

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: Tunnel liner  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000