Railroad Line Forums - Corps of Canadian Railway Troops – Europe 1918
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 191 ]  [ Total: 196 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Corps of Canadian Railway Troops – Europe 1918
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch Topic Next Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing
Page: of 51

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  12:45:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  9:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you LarryC, Michael, Cody, Frank, Rick, Jerry, and Philip.
Every wonder what 5,00 broken 1/48 bricks looks like? Not even a full Spice jar. I guess I need a lot more for the destroyed town module.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2020 :  08:38:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2020 :  3:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe you can smash and screen part of a real brick for some additional rubble.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2020 :  7:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Maybe you can smash and screen part of a real brick for some additional rubble.

Sure, now you suggest that! It's all just practice.

James, that is what I thought.

Edited by - BigLars on 08/19/2020 7:53:35 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2020 :  8:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Sure, now you suggest that!" Big Lars
You should hear the list of ideas I come up with for my own projects AFTER they're 'done' :)
but you can still used the screened real brick for the bottom layer(s) and sprinkle your bricks on top and maybe not have to cast another complete batch...

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2020 :  8:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

"Sure, now you suggest that!" Big Lars
You should hear the list of ideas I come up with for my own projects AFTER they're 'done' :)
but you can still used the screened real brick for the bottom layer(s) and sprinkle your bricks on top and maybe not have to cast another complete batch...

Bill,
I will give it a try, I still will need more castings. I have a few thousand more made in different colors. The process does not take long other than the time to dry. I can make 500 hundred in a batch.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2020 :  9:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you painting those bricks? looks terrific!

Philip

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/19/2020 :  9:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good time to take up drinking. Or maybe MORE drinking!!!

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2020 :  9:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

Are you painting those bricks? looks terrific!

Philip

I added craft paint to the plaster on this lot. It was suggested I put mortar on them. I am going to try to spray the mold with grey paint, let it dry and then add colored plaster next. I have to keep experimenting.

quote:
Originally posted by brucet

Good time to take up drinking. Or maybe MORE drinking!!!

Way too late...

Edited by - BigLars on 08/19/2020 9:59:11 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2020 :  07:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonder if for the mortar you could put a (test) batch of bricks in a small jar and add a tiny sprinkle of a dry gray tile grout.
Shake the jar gently to get some of the dry grout powder to cling to parts of the bricks, pour them out on a nonporous
surface and gently mist with water to set the grout?

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2020 :  10:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As Bill suggested screening brick is a great idea. I can send you a piece of soft red brick that was made in the good ole days. It is almost like chalk but a bit harder and was laid with soft mortar. Not sure, it may have been a fire brick.....

Philip

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2020 :  3:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for the suggestions and support.

I also had this one emailed to me.

Larry,
I don’t think when you got the “tour” of the railroad, I stopped at any of the buildings where I laid up either stone or brick facades. I saw on the latest posting that the subject of mortar came up. Go to your favorite big box store and go to the ceramic tile section, they have containers of a latex type grout that works very well. It comes premixed and various sizes, the smallest container should do you. I spread a bit of it on the backing wall with a 3/16” wide blade and on the ends just like laying real brick. You can usually do a few rows at a time then you need to let it set up. You might want to draw a few parallel lines as a guide to try and keep things somewhat level. Also, don’t forget you need lintels over the doors and windows. I don’t know what you used to make them but a pair of ceramic tile “nippers” are good for cutting them.
Best wishes, stay healthy, stay safe and hopefully will see you on Zoom Sept. 12th
Steve

I will try out the suggestions soon.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  12:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just acquired this Baldwin 4-6-0 from Greece. I hope it makes it safely. It will require a new stack and a couple of other small details to make it all work out. It was built from a Wrightlines white metal kit which are extremely hard to track down.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  1:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Page: of 51 Previous Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch Topic Next Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000