Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  10:41:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted, it makes things easier to figure out with the wires laid out instead looking like a bird's nest.

Jerry, well my crystal ball shows beach weather at the beach so I guess weíve seen the last of your builds till winter.

Carl, we had the choice of silver or gold. The silver looked much more manly. Oh and CA.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 05/11/2018 10:42:21 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  12:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Jerry, well my crystal ball shows beach weather at the beach so I guess weíve seen the last of your builds till winter.

Not so Frank its only 72 here so that makes the beach about 62!! So there is hope for another post yet.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  2:45:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Ahh, our weather is looking good, still cool with low humidity.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 05/11/2018 2:47:11 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  3:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the bottom of one of the modules showing the buss wiring and Tortoise switch machine wiring. The buss wires are 14ga mounted in wood blocks. Weíll solder wires with plugs at the ends of the buss wires so the modules can be hooked together. Iím only powering the Tortoise buss temporarily. The track power drops have yet to be installed.

Jim is supposed to post more pictures later.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  4:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

Very neat and organized. Appears as though you learned wiring in the knob and tube days.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  6:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, it almost looks more like the hook and loop days.

I hate wires in a bird's nest and all dangling, oops I shouldn't say that after looking at Wrecker's Reef.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 05/12/2018 6:17:29 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/12/2018 :  7:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here goes another loco bash.

These Atlas 2-Rail O-scale Plymouth Switchers go pretty cheap on eBay. So I picked one up. They were made in Austria a long time ago. At least I know it ran when I applied power to the wheels. Good enough Ė get out the saw.

I went on eBay looking for switcher shells that I could cobble onto this frame. Low and behold look what I ran across. Itís an RMT EMD loco shell, never heard of it, me either. They are going kindaí cheap too. Theyíre made to look like a generic EMD locomotive only baby sized.

Well all I had to do to get it to fit onto the motor block was grind the motor portion about a 1/8Ē on each side.

I chopped the deck down to allow the shell to fit on.

Off to the band saw I went to begin the cutting process. A slice here and a nip there and presto, itís even smaller.

I sanded off the cast on grabs and the left over portion of the fan housing had to go too. Itís taped together to see where Iím at.

This should be a laugh when I get it done.

So far Iím going with this as a rear side. It may change as I go further to look more like a traditional switcher cab backside.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 05/12/2018 7:42:41 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  09:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved 503 before you chopped it up. Couldn't have stretched the chassis instead?

Mike

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  09:57:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks awesome. Where did you get the shell from, specifically? I can't find one anywhere. :(

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  10:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank,

What do you mean ďThis should be a laugh when I get it doneĒ? I am laughing already.

A very resourceful guy, you are.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  10:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, it is an odd critter isnít it.

Daniel, hope this helps. Youíll have to search UK to see if thereís any local.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=RMT+RAILROAD+DIESEL+GP+ENGINE+SHELL&_sacat=0

Mike, a malnourished GP 7 is what they look like.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 05/13/2018 10:58:37 AM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  11:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You seem to like chopping things up...

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  12:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Frank DOES like to chop things up, but they always seem to turn out well:)

Here are few more pics from our work session yesterday. I just want to go on record that I DO perform some of this work, but I am the one behind the camera most often!

Jim

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  12:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Ahh, our weather is looking good, still cool with low humidity.

SHOW OFF!!!!!!!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/13/2018 :  12:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shame, I can't see any on UK ebay. The Virginian one looks awesome. :)

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000