Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  7:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Jim welcome to the forum. Looking forward to more of your work. Nice job on those cars.

To bad frank had to come along and do graffiti on the one!!!

Yes, he sneaked up on me!

Jim

Tim Godfrey
Section Hand

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  10:49:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tim Godfrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim,

Congratulations for getting on this board and figuring out how to post pictures!! I have not been able to post any pictures and I think I have lost the instructions Frank gave me to try again.

Nice modeling.

Tim Godfrey

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2018 :  4:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I noticed this method while reading Model Railroad Hobbyist on-line magazine. I thought this would surely hold the rail at the module ends in alignment without any rail joiners. So I gave it a try.

Ahh, not real excited about the method. Itíll take a pile of ballast to cover the screws. But I admit the rail is secure. Maybe Iíll add some weeds, what do you think Bill?

So in places where I hadnít yet installed the track I decided to modify the method a bit and install the screws directly under the rail. I used the screws to adjust the height so they were right at the base of the rail. Now I could solder the rail directly on top of the screw head.

I laid the track in place and marked both sides of the rail.

I drilled a pilot hole in the center of the lines and the center of the end board and inserted the screws.

Using a screwdriver I adjusted the height until they right under the base of the rail.

I soldered the rail to the screw heads. Itís a very firm hold.

Dave Revelia showed me another method where you screw PCB ties to the end of the module and solder the track to them. But Iíd have to make various shims under the PCB ties to get them to sit right under the rail. So I came up with a cross between my Version2 and Daveís. I did a V3, I inserted the screws and adjusted the height and then soldered the PSB ties to the top of the screws and the bottoms of the rail. Now thatís a secure rail end mount. Itís always the last thing that you do that seems to be the better of the bunch.

The screws are in place and tinned. I also tinned the bottoms of the PCB ties. Then all I had to do was apply the heat to the screw head and apply more solder. Man, that's a rock solid mount.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 04/11/2018 4:44:59 PM

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2018 :  5:01:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the way to go, Frank. I put screws beneath my track as well but I didn't have PCB ties and just soldered the track straight to the screws.
Looking great!
Cheers,
Dave

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 04/11/2018 :  8:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well, the track is all laid at this point. Next step is switch machines and lots of power drops to keep it all energized. That said, just had to fire up a locomotive for the first time. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqVxyKCyd_8

Jim

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  10:56:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave that method looks like a really strong way to hold the rail in place.

Tim Godfrey
Section Hand

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  11:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tim Godfrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can clearly see in the video that as Jim plays trains, Frank is busy laying track and soldering joints for trouble free operation!!!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  11:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim at least your keeping him out of trouble!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  12:32:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank, forgive my lack of experience in this area....

So each module is a separate electrical block? Are those gaps I see over the PC ties?

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  4:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim, if only we could keep Jim on schedule with the build and away from his DCC controller.

Jerry, Iím too busy to get in trouble.

Carl, gaps schmaps, theyíre all over the place. There are gaps between modules because they need to come apart and there are gaps where the dead frogs are. So to make it run between modules weíre going to have buss connectors. To make it run between turnouts weíll have +/- drops to the +/- buss wires.

If it doesn't run after that it's Jim's fault. He should have paid more attention to what I was doing wrong.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 04/12/2018 4:32:48 PM

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  09:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK, we got the Tortoise turnout machines installed yesterday. Now beginning the fun of wiring up 14 DPDT switches to control them. Man, I wish we had ordered larger switches!

Download Attachment: O Scale Layout DPDT Switches Wired.jpg
179.83 KB

Jim

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  12:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With the track installed weíve moved on to the turnout control panels. I copied the track plan, cut it into 3 parts and reduced it to fit onto the panels. The panels are 5" x 10".

Dave had sheets of plastic with a brushed silver coating on one side when the laser cuts them it leaves the black background.

On the back side of the panel I glued 2 PCB tie strips to act as bus bars for the DPDT common wiring. Two wires will go to the main wiring under the layout to power the strips.

Next came mounting and connecting the DPDT switches to the panel which Jim prewired for me.

Wednesday Dave and I cut the angle brackets to mount the panels to the layout. When the panels are mounted to the layout modules weíll connect the wires to the Tortoise machines.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 05/10/2018 12:13:45 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  9:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is some very nice clean wiring work, Frank'

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/10/2018 :  11:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Frank.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/11/2018 :  07:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That plastic with a brushed silver coating is nice looking stuff.

Which adhesive did you use to attach the solder PCB tie strips to the wood back?

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000