Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  6:26:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
but ran out of adhesive

Nobody got the short straw to go get some more?

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2018 :  7:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adhesive quantity.....Missed by "that" much.... to quote a certain TV spy. Looking good, Frank.
Cheers,
Dave

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  10:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted, itís a team effort. We have a cast of . . . well . . . 4 guys, 2 workers (Dave and I), 1 supervisor (Jim) and 1 assistant (Tim).

Carl, it was 2pm and we were losing interest. Actually we were tired from our big lunch at Outback, you know how old guys are. Another meeting of the ROMEOs, Retired Old Men Eating Out.

Dave, you forgot to use the Cone of Silence. Now everybody knows I screwed up.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  11:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ROMEOs, Retired Old Men Eating Out

Blahahahah!

danielb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  12:03:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Oh thanks Dan I've been looking in on yours too. Did you use a template to make your turnouts or did you just go for it?

I used Fastracks paper templates that you can print out from their website. The rest is purely eyeballed. :D

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  12:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, my story can top your story.

Wow, you-da-man. We spent around $500 buying all the stuff: template, filing tools, rail, rail cutters, wood and PCB ties and PCB tie cutting jig. It's a nice system but it's not cheap. The price of his Weller 35W soldering iron was double of online prices.

Then I made my own wood tie jigs.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/11/2018 12:25:09 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2018 :  11:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I often look longingly at the Fast Tracks products - especially the jigs - but unfortunately can't justify the expense. I tend to purchase from them all the basics such as rail, PCB ties (the redesign of these is superb by the way), and wooden ties etc. All else I have to make.

Taking a page from your book Frank I've decided to go into production line assembly and finish the turnouts wiring in a similar fashion.

Incredible workmanship on your trackwork. I wish I could make my own trackwork efforts as clean as yours.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  07:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about an update Frank!

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  10:04:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gents, I was on a 1 week vaca so my update will be tomorrow when the 4 of us meet at the Center for our Wednesday workshop. Itís funny how it works out. The less people we have the more work we get done. Saturdays we have about 7 or 8 and we donít get **** done.

Kumard, if it was me alone building these turnouts and layout Iíd be in the same situation as you, just buying the peripherals. Thanks for the comps.

Mike, youíll have to wait till Wednesday sorry.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/20/2018 10:05:06 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/20/2018 :  11:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your retired and on vacation. What's a vacation???

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  08:33:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"If your retired and on vacation. What's a vacation???"

It's what you do when you are rich and retired like Frank is!

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  6:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry and Mike, vacation is when you pay a lot of money to sleep in a crummy bed.

I used brass tube couplings. They came with ridges on both ends to secure the tubing . Tim cut one end down smooth to slide into a 5/8Ē hole drilled into the ends of the end modules. The other end had the ridges trimmed down some. This end was epoxyed into the ends of the center module.

This is the epoxyed end in place. Originally we were going to use 1/2" O.D. pipe but I changed it to 1/2" I.D. couplings.

This is the receiver hole. It has been routered out with a round-over bit. This makes it very easy to slide the male end into.

This is todayís progress. We almost finished the cork road bed but ran short of cork and adhesive, the 2 main ingredients. Another siding runs along the back about where the aluminum ruler is.

We are running the yard tracks off the end because we have high hopes to add a fourth module and increase the yard. Jimís concerned he can only get 2 or 3 cars per yard track.

We will have the ability to use 2 passing sidings.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/21/2018 6:40:08 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  7:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good Frank.

but ran short of cork and adhesive

Not again!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2018 :  10:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, seems to be just the way. Every project takes more time and material than you think at the start.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  5:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finished working on installing the turnouts today. The 2Ē foam insulation isnít the most uniform 2Ē youíll ever see so we spent about an hour and a half sanding the cork roadbed level. We had some pretty big humps and valleys to correct.

Before gluing the turnouts in place we checked alignment with others along the line. Then we checked before setting them in place and then we checked alignment after. I do not want to rip up any turnouts.

We marked the location for the Tortoise throw wire and drilled a 5/8Ē hole through the layout. Later weíll slide the Tortoise wire through the hole in the throw bar and insert it into the switch machine mounted below. Thatís the plan.

Then weíll fill in all the open areas with track. I weathered the rail with an airbrush and rust paint and then dry brushed the ties with light gray paint.

I made bus wire standoffs from scrap poplar and drilled 6 holes for bus wires; hopefully thatís enough. I figured 2 for the track power, 1 for the common switch machine wire and if able the other wire and 2 for the lighting. I plan on using 14 gauge wires stripped of insulation so itís easy to solder in the track power drops. Iíll screw them into the plywood deck underneath. The standoffs are circled in red. We laid out the track to see if we had enough. Itíll be close for now.

Hereís a sample turnout location. I donít think weíll use the long throw bar for anything so weíll cut them off later. I can't get this picture to rotate. Oh well.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 03/29/2018 5:51:41 PM

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000