Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: rsmokingus ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2018 :  09:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stairs and railing sure added interest to the tower structure and the weathering looks great.
Dave

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/26/2018 :  5:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice tower! What brand kit is that ?

Tim Godfrey
Section Hand

Posted - 11/26/2018 :  6:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tim Godfrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It started out as a Korber kit. I replaced the wood angle with styrene angle and the floral wire with brass wire. Also replaced the wooden dowel with a styrene tube. I made new footings out of styrene and a wooden footing for the delivery pipe. I bought the ladder and cage from Plastistruct. Dave wanted to have graffiti on the tank so he designed a walkway and railing which he cut on the laser. Dave then striped the legs, did lots of weathering and made custom brackets to hold the ladder at the right angle.
By the way the picture of the water tank in the before state is Korber’s catalog picture. I would never bring a built model to The Center that clean!! The guys get on me for not dirtying up my models enough as it is.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  03:28:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim,

Your tank turned out very nice indeed. It’s encouraging to see a kit used so well. Some things one just doesn’t to have to build from scratch.

Mike

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  8:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Here it is from another angle.

that tower and shot is spot on'. Looks completely realistic'..

Tim Godfrey
Section Hand

Posted - 11/27/2018 :  11:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tim Godfrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, thanks. I usualy start with kits that I can modify, sometimes beyond recognition.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2018 :  06:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Godfrey

Mike, thanks. I usualy start with kits that I can modify, sometimes beyond recognition.

That’s a smart way to go.

Tim Godfrey
Section Hand

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  12:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tim Godfrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted,

Thanks for the kind words.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  07:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job on that tower Tim.

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  2:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I started making the storage container for the distillery. I’ll actually get double the number of tanks because it’ll sit next to the mirror. I certainly wouldn’t want to make a second one after the past several days of head scratching and rebuilding.

I wanted a set of spiral steps because it looks more realistic. But I had trouble calculating the length of the spiral stair risers for the tank. For the first try I made them the same length and angle. WRONG!

I found a spiral staircase calculator on line and after playing with it I realized just how simple it really was. It is simply 2 right triangles. One with the base length of the inner riser and one with the length of the outer riser. I drew the tank circle and then added the steps going around based on a scale 9 inches of tread and rise. That meant I would need 43 steps for my desired height. The steps would be 3/4" wideso the radius of the inner riser would be 2” or the radius of the 4” PVC pipe and the radius of the outer riser would be plus 3/4" or 2-3/4”. A little trigonometry and I’m done. A squared + B squared = C squared, the square root of C squared was the length of the riser. Ah my old surveying days back at work.

I wanted a landing half way up so the weary hiker would have a rest area. So I just added a half inch to the outer base length.

I drew the risers in cad and Dave cut them on the laser. They’re made from 1/64” laser board. I made 2 sets for the inner and outer and glued them together to get a thicker piece. I also added an outer piece.

Dave made me a soldering jig for the hand railings. Boy was that nice.

I thought the easier way to assemble the steps would be to glue each tread to the outer riser and glue the assembly to the inner one on the tank. I rolled the risers and the wire handrails to conform to the tank.

Here’s the inner riser on the tank.

And the completed outer and steps added.

The hand rail has been added and the sample walkway is just for testing.

I’m using a 3” PVC pipe cap for the dome. I added styrene strips to make up the 1/8” difference in diameter.

Ok we’re getting closer to the proposed finished look with a walk way from the tower to the tank.

I added pieces of .010" styrene around the 4" PVC pipe to resemble sheets of steel welded together.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 11/29/2018 2:09:44 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  3:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Isn’t math wonderful? You just find the right formula, plug in some numbers, and voila! the answer pops out. And the model looks so good and you look so smart. Of course the secret is knowing such a formula exists and finding it, not always easy. And then you have to attach all those steps. Well done, Frank.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  6:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Incredible work! Great job Frank and Dave !

my old surveying days back at work. I certainly think so!

Ok, now start selling that railing jig!

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  6:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive Frank!
Dave

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  6:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! I'm fully impressed. Have to get back to FL soon for a look see.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2018 :  7:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, math is a great tool. I sure was glad my calculator had all those survey programs in there.

Thanks Carl. The jig sure makes it easy to keep everything in perfect alignment.

Thanks Dave.

Come on down Larry. Gonna’ be cold in them there mountains soon.

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000