Railroad Line Forums - O-Scale Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 149 ]  [ Total: 158 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 O-Scale Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 39

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  8:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Frank,

You couldn't find room for the entire turnout to be on land instead of on the float? It looks like the points are already on the float bridge anyway.

Take care,
Rob.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  9:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking the same thing as Rob. Having two 40' on one side and two 50' on the opposite side would make the float list to one side unless the 50' were lighter. If you had a switch on land you could load the float as two parallel lines. I'm not sure which is prototypical or how much it matters to you. I wouldn't care one way or the other and if someone brought it up, I would cuff them on the side of the head :-)
Cheers,
Dave

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  9:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the HO scale plastic car float from Walthers follows the New York Harbor standard: one track from the float bridge goes directly onto the float, the other splits into two with the points of the turnout on the bridge (or on land before the hinge of the float bridge) and the frog on the carfloat.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2018 :  1:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob, David and James Ė thanks for the suggestions. I was following the New York Harbor Carfloat/Transfer Bridge style in my jammed area.

http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/developmenttransferbridge.html

I donít have room for much of anything. The carfloat idea happened last couple of weeks idea. It would have been nice if Iíd thought of it before I installed turnout #13 to Robís plan. I diverted from Robís plan to add another run-around with turnouts 13 and 14. The transfer bridge will be a shorty for sure. I designed the points to be on the bridge.

I think Iím in for a revamp of the area. In other words a tear out and re-do.

This is the plan I was going by. Humm, I just noticed they are using an off-set "Y", one leg longer than the other. I'll take a look tomorrow to see if that's a possibility.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 06/08/2018 2:00:40 PM

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2018 :  5:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,
you could go to a single track barge or maybe try this track arrangement. Using just the single track into a double, of course. I found it on pinterest- what a time vampire that can be!
Cheers,
Dave

Edited by - David Clark on 06/08/2018 5:56:42 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  08:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David, I have the same photo in my float collection. Ah yes pintrest - you can get lost in there. I found this one there too. That transfer bridge is a piece of work. They have to use 3 flat cars to keep the loco off the bridge.

This is in Vancouver, BC.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 06/09/2018 08:25:49 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  08:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am not sure about Vancouver, BC for that last photo - looks more like the CPR car/train ferry operation on/near Lake Okanagan, BC. Either way, I think the yellow machine between the tracks at the near end is a winch to get cars on and off the float at locations where there was no locomotive.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  09:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is Rosebery, near Nelson BC, in the interior. The tracks run into the water and the transfer bridge sits on 3 or 4 sets of rail car trucks and it is moved back or forward depending on water level. There is also a photo of a diesel going on and the track is a few inches below water. I believe it was in use until early '80's. The tracks of the transfer bridge are tapered to a point, making it much like a ramp up from the track on the ground. You can find the drawing for it at the Canadian Pacific Historical Association site.
I love the ricketiness of the structure and thought it would be perfect for my On30 line.
As far as getting cars off and on, I've seen pictures of locomotives on the float so I'm thinking the whole train went over - albeit a small one.
Cheers,
Dave

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  4:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We added more locos and rolling stock today to get a sense for what the capacity of the railroad will be in practicality. The videos yo see here are with 20 pieces of rolling stock and 3 locomotives. Still room to work. I had the camera in my hand so I recruited operators so I could film. A few of them were a little aggressive on their quick starts but they will get get the feel of the throttles soon enough. I reprogrammed the CVs to take out all the momentum, but I think I will add some back:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh9gNlYWTEk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-6KaRaFX6Y

Jim

Tampa Jim
Section Hand

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  4:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tampa Jim's Homepage  Send Tampa Jim an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention that we have officially named the railroad - Lakeshore Industrial Railway. Frank will have "LSIR" on the side of his small switcher project soon!

Jim

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  4:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guys I stand corrected it's on Lake Slocan, Rosebery, BC. David I guess I can't fool a local.

Iím going to have to build a wedge piece for the end of the module. itíll be easier than removing and replacing the turnout. With 2 Ė 50í, 1 Ė 40í and a 1 Ė 38í itís tight. I designed the width from 2 parallel tracks and I didnít consider the curvature effect of the turnout taking up so much room. It will be a very short bridge controlled by overhead cables. I sure like the one at Rosebery but I donít know if Jim will let me get away with that one.

This week Iíll concentrate on the weld construction on the carfloat. Dave has suggested 2 methods. One is using putty rolled into thin snakes and using a round dowel to push down making the weld lines. The other is using styrene strips soaked in glue and the round dowel method again. Experimentation first.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 06/09/2018 4:14:23 PM

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  5:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, you could make a groove along the weld line and put a piece of thin dowel in it and then make your weld impressions. I favour the putty method, however.
It's all looking good!
Cheers,
Dave

shortliner
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  10:32:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I solved the problem of the turnout, by having three parallel tracks on the float and using the tug to warp the whole float/barge sideways to align the tracks. on my collapsible ferry layout - the photos seem to have disappeared on here (they were in the internatonal shoebox challenge thread) but they can till be seen here http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29306&start=0&hilit=ingleferry+wharf

Edited by - shortliner on 06/10/2018 10:41:42 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  12:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave, I played around with the .040 half-round styrene strips yesterday and I didnít like that method. Iíll give the putty method a go. My other challenge is going to be mounting the track to the float. I was planning on using Atlas flex track for the straight runs but the plastic ties do not take to any glue I have.

Jack, thatís one way to get around the turnout problem. Weíre going to use the float as another switching problem. How to get them off without tipping the float.

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  10:13:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
.....My other challenge is going to be mounting the track to the float. I was planning on using Atlas flex track for the straight runs but the plastic ties do not take to any glue I have.

Even your Gorilla Glue? How 'bout No More Nails? I put that sh*t on everything!
Cheers,
Dave

Page: of 39 Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000