Railroad Line Forums - Okie Logging Camp Dining room
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 126 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Okie Logging Camp Dining room
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918
Page: of 8

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2018 :  8:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy folks,

I finally made some progress on the dinning room. This has been the most difficult car/building I have scratchbuilt. Designing and building the roof so it is removable to show the interior has kicked my rear end. After making 13 roof trusses, I had to take them apart. Bad approach.

Today I started my next technique building the roof trusses with a template:

The tricky bit was to build the half roof sections, so I decided to use framing pieces covered by tar paper. Here are the frames with a sample of shingles:

The rafters were held in place with transfer adhesive.

Last but not least, I glued the two sides of the structure together.

That about it for today.

Have fun,
Mike C

Okie logging camp diner (http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50236) and Okie logging camp kitchen: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47400&whichpage=1

man7sell
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  10:56:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit man7sell's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wonderful build, looking forward to the lighting effects.

Capt. Paul Mansell
https://crookedmileriver.blogspot.com/2018/11/crooked-mile-river-logging-on30-scale.html

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/15/2018 :  11:28:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Capt. is right: excellent work. You do such interesting models with a lot of care.

Mike

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2018 :  10:03:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy,

Thanks Paul and Mike. I appreciate the moral support!

~mike

Okie logging camp diner (http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50236) and Okie logging camp kitchen: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47400&whichpage=1

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/16/2018 :  10:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great Mike.

Looking forward to the next steps.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BBLmber
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2018 :  06:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep up the great job Mike

Mark

W,L,&E

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2018 :  10:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, that's looking very good.

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2018 :  10:14:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work! Persistence win over defeat!

Philip

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2018 :  11:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just reviewed this tread. Nice Job. I like the insulation.

It's only make-believe

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2018 :  4:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy folks,

Jerry, Mark, Rick, Philip, and Robert thank you for the encouragement. Building a roof so it can be removed has really been a challenge. I need moral support frequently!

Today I applied shingles to tarpaper strips, then attached the strips to the battens. Finally, the shingle roof was added to the rafters.

It was tricky for me to figure out how to lay out the rafters so the spacing was even. It didn't seem to be a simple process, but I finally figured out how to subtract the end rafters from the count. The rafters are 3.5' apart which seems to replicate the prototype on these structures.

Here are a few shots of the process. Now I am down for a glass of Malbec before I start the other side.

Battens with tar paper applied

Shingles applied to roof assembly and test fit on dining room.

Rafters glued to batten and shingle assembly

Next up is attaching the purlin to the rafter ends and begin work on the other side.

Have fun,
Mike

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2018 :  4:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
top notch!!

the only mystery in life is...why did the kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2018 :  7:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indeed! Straight as a arrow!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2018 :  8:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/20/2018 :  11:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work Mike.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2018 :  12:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Really good job. Do I see Rusty Stumps shingles? In any case, they look perfect for a camp car.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.76 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000