Railroad Line Forums - O scale 1:48 Rural Auto Repair
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: Gary Hannibal ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 O scale 1:48 Rural Auto Repair
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New York Mill - Modeled in Balsa Foam Topic Next Topic: Buckner-Rice Stovepipes and Fittings
Page: of 9

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/23/2017 :  11:11:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Xmas time is fast approaching so its time to make another railroad theme gift for my oldest son.
This build is a diorama consisting of the auto repair garage and the owners house both sitting on a sloped piece of land.
Both buildings will be weathered and in need of repair.

Concept Sketch:

Starting the build with the shingled and siding covered house. Designed the walls on Canson Illustration Art Board and cut out the profiles.

I'm getting tired so I think I'll get ready for bed...More tomorrow. I sure hope I'm not boring you guys with another one of my builds.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  12:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David, I don't think anyone will find your build boring.
ed

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  01:05:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, nothing boring about your builds!

southpier
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  05:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
foamcore?

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  06:31:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like another wonderful build starting !!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  08:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christmas in October as we get to watch another build!

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  08:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I'll be watching too.

Jim

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  08:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be following along as well.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  08:46:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Me too Dave.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  09:30:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Count me in to.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  09:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in too Dave, your builds are an inspiration to all.
Rich

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  09:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to watching this play out.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  12:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys! Glad I haven't bored you too much and I appreciate you're following along.

Southpier...not using foam core. This time I'm using Canson Illustration Art Board. It's rigid and can be cut with an exacto. Holds it's shape without bowing and accepts balsa strips in the corners for gluing the corners. A little expensive...$20 for 10 sheets but use your Micheals or Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon and it works out to $1.20 for a 9"x12" sheet. I prefer it over foam board for smaller scales.

Since the house is weathered I decided to use paper siding similar to my 1:29 scale building methods.
The first step is to paint the siding. Started with a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 gray construction paper.
Used a torn section from a sponge and dabbed Apple Barrel Antique White in a random pattern, allowing the gray paper to show through. The white will represent the peeling and vanishing white paint with the gray being the wood siding that is exposed to the elements. Allowed to dry for several hours.

Next step is to paint the shingle material siding. Im going for a weathered brown look so I started with a sheet of light brown construction paper.
First step is to thin Folk art Raw Umber Acrylic (1 paint to 10 water) Apply randomly to paper with some areas light and some darker with two coats applied. Brush in one direction so the paint represents downward streaks when cutting the shingles.

Second step is to dry brush raw umber full strength in a few areas to accent the brown. (Heavy in some areas, streaks in other areas.)

Third step is to dry brush Craftsmart Graphite in streaks just enough to show and then add a few heavier areas.

When youre satisfied with the coloring, set aside to dry.

Now its time to slit the paper. I used a Fiskar paper cutter and slit siding and shingles into 5/16 strips. The siding will be applied as is but the shingles need more work.

All of the strips of shingle material need to be cut to represent individual shingles. Take two or three pieces at a time and using a small pair of scissors cut approx. 3/16 to 1/4 slits with 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4 spacing. Vary the spacing for a random shingle width pattern. Try not to cut through the shingle strip however if you do, theyre still usable.

The next step is to randomly notch some of the shingles. I use a toe nail clipper to make the notches. Small scissors will also work.

Sounds like a lot of work however, the whole process of stripping, cutting shingle widths and notching took 60 minutes for (24) 11 long strips.

Photo of scissors and nail clippers I used. The sharp point on the scissors is important to help you see what you are doing and provide a clean cut.

Next time I'll apply siding and shingles to the
walls.

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  12:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guff there has never been anything boring about your work. Always wonderful.

I did get a kick out of you saying 1/48 is a smaller scale! I know for you it is but those of us in HO and smaller, 1/48 is huge.

Lookin.g forward to more
TomO

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  2:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
I'm subscribed. Will follow (and hopefully, learn) eagerly!
Cheers,
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/24/2017 :  5:39:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Nope. Not boring. Not at all.

So, how many scales have you modeled in?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: New York Mill - Modeled in Balsa Foam Topic Next Topic: Buckner-Rice Stovepipes and Fittings  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000