Railroad Line Forums - Along Fever Creek
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Along Fever Creek
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop Topic Next Topic: Online shopping
Page: of 3

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/14/2017 :  12:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know of two sources on the net. I knew nothing of these until a friend showed one to me.

http://www.modelrailroadcontrolsystems.com/home/

https://www.tt-west.com/

I bought mine through TT West mainly because the site owner is local to me. Here's the manufacturer's site.

https://www.mtb-model.com/index.php?lang=en

-John

RobertT
New Hire

Posted - 10/15/2017 :  7:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking switch machines. Thanks for sharing the link

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  7:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The beginnings of a ballast deck bridge across fever creek.

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/23/2017 :  01:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The finished bridge (less track and ballast).

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/23/2017 :  07:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John,

Your bridge looks strong and sturdy. Very clean lines. Any plans to dirty it up?

Iím looking forward to watching you build while the countdown clock ticks.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/23/2017 :  1:57:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There will be some weathering added closer to final install. This bridge sits on a curve so if it seems a tad wide, that's why. The second bridge will be an offset queen post bridge. That one will be roughly twice the length of this one.

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/01/2018 :  11:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As with any layout endeavor, there are key milestones one of which is first spike. While I'm not handlaying, first rails were laid down yesterday with additional work today. Roughly half of the simple loop has rails.

ChiloquinRuss
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  3:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChiloquinRuss's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like it's going to be a fun layout. Congrats on 'first rails'! Russ

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  9:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very Nice start!

Philip

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  5:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are certainly showing me a thing or two regarding layout building. Keep posting! I need all the help i can get!

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  7:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way John, which software did you use to plan your layout?

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  08:34:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good!

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  12:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark -

I used a drawing program (visio). Just lines and arcs along with experimenting. Come down for a beer and dead rail your porter. :D

kewlbrew
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  1:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit kewlbrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've also found that the mogul is a great test loco. Because it has a fairly long wheelbase and all flanged drivers, it can detect small kinks in curves that aren't easily seen by eye. A sort of parabolic curve kink; looks smooth but has a short, too tight radius at some point. Knock wood, only one minor one so far that was easy to fix. The connie, 440, etc that I tried didn't detect the kink but the mogul did. :D

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  2:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, I like your offer! I will contact you soon.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Martin G. Jones Machine Shop Topic Next Topic: Online shopping  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.71 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000