Railroad Line Forums - YA3DP
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 232 ]  [ Total: 235 ]  [ Newest Member: alcashj94 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 YA3DP
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: In-ko-pah RR: New project Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the White house. Finale.
Page: of 8

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  1:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
Nice mechanism work! I end up doing a lot of this kind of stuff at work. Part of the fun
is figuring out what mechanism will address the problem, and then building it.

Scott

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  2:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

You guys might end up being right. I was more concerned about mounting the 3 mm pivot blocks closer to the top of the doors and having the pb wire droop into the engine path. Still have ability to change if needed.

Jim

Not only the ability to change, but the willingness to do it when it's called for.

George

Fly Army

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2021 :  4:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, thanks for checking it out.

George, I'm on it! By moving the pivot point away from the hinges, it will be an easier push-pull for those servo wires. The overall 'throw' distance will multiply, but I thinkI've got enough movement to make that work. So, I've already exercised the option and came up with 'Franks Bracket'. The nubs will face the back of the door, and it will glue on to the existing bracket. If it flys, I'll clip off the original wings, and give it more width clearance entering the stalls.

On the printer right now.

Thanks Frank & George!

Jim

Take the red pill

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  5:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it was back to the drawing board. While the flexing of the servo pushwires was greatly reduced with Frank1, the doors wouldn't open wide enough to let the engine in. So, it was time to rethink and redraw a solution. The 3mm pivot cube just wouldn't allow enough movement. so Jimslot1 was created to work with Franksbracket1. Still not enough to get the doors open wide enough. So, Franksbracket2 was built with a wider stance, but it had to reach further down into the opening. Jimslot2 was drawn and printed. By offseting the far end throw point. It easily opens and closes the doorway with a lot less drag in both directions.

The new setup will take some rework on the front doors again.

Stampcollecting was boring!

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 01/14/2021 6:27:20 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/14/2021 :  6:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Jim, if it was easy I'd have one of those Frankenstein brackets. After all it's one of those YA3DPs.

Frank

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2021 :  01:25:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work Jim. Nice to be able to have operating doors. Very ingenious.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2021 :  10:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, you're right as usual.

Rob,

Thanks, the open/close mechanism has become quite a hassle. I used 'Bondic' glue to attach the fittings to the doors, and it offers almost no adhesion. Very disappointed in wasting money on it. Plus of course more rework time. Thanks for following along.

Jim

Take the red pill

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/16/2021 :  2:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jim,
You do a great job on the mechanical movement parts. It would be nice to have your ability. Keep up the good work!

David Guffey

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: In-ko-pah RR: New project Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house-the White house. Finale.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000