Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Sierra West Donkey Repair Yard:
Page: of 42

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 06/20/2019 :  10:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Michael, Robert and George. Appreciate your comments.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  12:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, long time getting this done, but then I don't do much sometimes for as much as a week or more. But, except for some details I might add to the decking, I'm done with the tank. I still have a storeage shed to do, no telling how long I'll be on that one .

So here are some updates. Hope you enjoy and get some good modeling ideas.

This is how I made the ladders. Cutting some 2x2's to length, I taped them to a note pad where I had drawn some lines for the rungs and posts. Doing more in a row makes it easier to do almost as many ladders as you need, and they will all be close enough to identical looking.

The railings, made with 3x3's and2x4's I think. The posts on the deck go through, first drilling a slightly undersize hole, then squaring it up with an exact-o for a tight fit.

The finished shots.

Tony Burgess

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  12:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As always, excellent work Tony.

Is the ball and finial a casting?

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  3:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

As always, excellent work Tony.

Is the ball and finial a casting?

Thanks Carl.

No, the finial and ball is something I made. The 'ball' is a bead my wife let me have from her crafting supply, and the needle is styrene that fit the hole just right, which was heated a little and stretched out to a point before it snapped, and then I just cut to size and painted. Thanks for asking, I had meant to show that and totally forgot.

Tony Burgess

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  4:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A fine looking water tank, Tony. That's a good tip for mass producing ladders.

George

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  5:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

A fine looking water tank, Tony. That's a good tip for mass producing ladders.

George

Thanks George.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2019 :  10:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

There are lots of details that enhance your model, such as the grab at the top of the ladder and the boxed-in weights.

The ladder-making method of yours also causes the rungs to be close to perpendicular to the posts.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/09/2019 :  11:05:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

There are lots of details that enhance your model, such as the grab at the top of the ladder and the boxed-in weights.

The ladder-making method of yours also causes the rungs to be close to perpendicular to the posts.

Mike

Thank you for your comments, Mike. Appreciated. I looked at the grab from my point of view, if I were to climb it, what would I grab on to??? So I added one for the little people. Glad you noticed. The ladder method is a first time for me, it just seemed logical. I'm going to use it more often now, even if I make more ladders than I need :-), like that will happen

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2019 :  2:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been working on finishing up the shed. I love adding distressed looks to small buildings like this. Adds so much character. I will be leaving the floor off until I add some interior details on the walls, like bottles, shelves etc.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2019 :  4:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

As usually, you come up with interesting details and different approaches to construction. All very instructive.

Hopefully the framing is robust because itís certainly not waterproof.

Mike

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2019 :  4:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent work, Tony. I really like the way that you color and texture the wood.

bandman
New Hire

Posted - 07/21/2019 :  6:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wood treatment and roof destruction is awesome. Love it.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2019 :  7:09:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, Russ and Horton, thank you. I'm not worried if it isn't water proof, Mike, it won't rain in my room

Tony Burgess

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2019 :  7:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well done Tony.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  09:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Very well done Tony.

Thank you Carl.

Tony Burgess

Page: of 42 Topic Next Topic: Sierra West Donkey Repair Yard:  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000