Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 150 ]  [ Total: 158 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry
Page: of 33

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2018 :  4:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Robert , thank you.

Mike, I never thought of it that way. Thanks.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  02:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Just catching up to your build again, and this is turning out rather nice, have you worked on the other side of the building lately? How many engines are there to fit in here? It appears that you will have a lot of space for working on equipment. I'm also anxious to see your rafter construction, as I worked at a lumber yard in my twenties making real rafters.

Rich

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2018 :  7:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Tony,

Just catching up to your build again, and this is turning out rather nice, have you worked on the other side of the building lately? How many engines are there to fit in here? It appears that you will have a lot of space for working on equipment. I'm also anxious to see your rafter construction, as I worked at a lumber yard in my twenties making real rafters.

Rich

Hi Rich. I have room for 2 loco's, 4 if they are short like the Ken Kidder's, and the car shop side. I was going to start the rafters, but needed to do some supports first, hence the center wall piece. Also, the details I am doing could really go anywhere, and there are already some details on the loco side, the center wall will accommodate some additional detail.

I had been thinking about putting in a crane of sorts like I did in the Sierra West model, but haven't made up my mind yet, still in the thinking stage. There are plenty of details I have outside in a box that I haven't added yet, as placement is everything, and I don't want to put down something and change my mind later.

So I really am making a lot as I go. Or at least it seems so. Most of the time I only have the weekend to do anything, so it goes along at a snails pace.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2018 :  08:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been painting and weathering a few extra details this weekend. I first gave everything a dark grey primer, using Vallejo paints, sprayed on thin and smooth. I love using the air brush, more so now than I used to years ago, partly because then I didn't have a very good brush and less of an understanding of how they work, plus I worked with enamels which didn't work well for me, long before I got into acrylics.

I am mixing up the details with scratchbuilt and metal castings from FSM, Sierra West and SSLtd, as well as a few others.

But since I hadn't followed up with the painted heater, I thought I'd share some here. The lighting was a little dark, so I apologize for that, I had to adjust the brightness on my XnView programme to show them better.

The weathering applied is both Rembrandt pastels and Dr. Ben's weathering powders, both applied with a small brush wetted with water. I have never used a fixative on details like these, and find they stick very well enough without it. I often use pastels to paint with, I love the 'flat' tone they give to details that is better than I can achieve with paints. I can put it on thin, or thick for rusted areas that I can't do with paint.

Some of our resident crows we have in our area. They must live within close proximity to our house, as they frequent our trees, bird baths, play on the fence posts, in the yard etc., almost all the time. We keep some water out for them, as they are the only birds that seem to need it this time of the year. A few months ago, we had a couple grooming each other on our fence. They are fun to watch.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2018 :  7:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Happy thanksgiving everyone. We are taking it easy this time around since I just had a big party this weekend for my birthday, and with some family staying overnight, I didn't get much done. But, I did get a cabinet made. I have a Sierra West casting that I thought about copying and seeing if I could improve it, or just change it a little, plus I really wanted to include some oil or grease cans rather than what was in the casting. The Sierra West one is on the right with the tool box on top.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  7:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The last weekend and this one I finally got to doing some roof construction. I am far from finishing, as I have some cross bracing and spacing to do do.....but, what I have done so far was the biggest hurdle for this model. I changed several techniques as I went along, trying to figure out the best way to proceed, and what I finally ended up with may or may not be the best, and others may do something entirely different, but it is what I came up with and seemed to work.

The best way here is to add a caption to each photo.

I started out by making a long beam and adding some cross braces to it at 1/2" intervals. These pieces were cut on the Jim Byrne's saw and then filed smooth.

They were glued in place to give me something to glue the rafters to.

Then I added it to the structure with some blocks to get it to the height I needed.

I cut all the rafters, using one as a master to cut the notch to all the others. I did this as I went rather than all at once, just in case I needed to make some adjustments.

Testing the fit, which seemed to work just fine throughout the entire structure, as it happened.

I started to add the white styrene to help in holding it up in the center, to keep it even, but it wasn't working.

So I cut up some spare plywood to the exact size I needed, but that wasn't quite right either.

So I cut those down to about 2" long, which worked very well, I just had to scoot them along as I needed it.

Then I found I needed to find a way to keep it level on the top side, as I found one side was riding higher than the other, and I had to remove it all. So a piece of strip wood seemed to do the trick for the shorter section.

Finally, coming along nicely.

Starting on the longer section.

And finished, at least for the rafters. I have the other roof section and some cross braces to do next.

Tony Burgess

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  8:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice job Tony....and hey, whatever works!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  8:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job on this Tony!

Is the roof removable??

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  9:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOW, that looks nice. Lot's of work there but it sure looks great.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  11:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony

Very impressive. It looks rather spindly at this stage.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  1:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sharp looking and very impressive

It's only make-believe

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  4:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl, thank you, sometimes a lot of trial and error is necessary.

Jerry, thank you, yes, the entire roof is designed to be removable, otherwise, why go to all this trouble?

Bernd, thanks, yes, many days of work on the roof alone.

Mike, thanks, yes, it is rather spindly, but not as much as you might thing. I have a lot of cross bracing to add.

Thank you Robert.

Tony Burgess

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/05/2018 :  9:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Just catching up on this thread. First, I too find crows fascinating to watch. We have ravens around here that cockle and cluck and they're fun to follow.

Secondly, I have to say I prefer your cabinet. Nothing against the original, but I like the clean look you've achieved.

Finally, I've never seen rafters built in place like that, but you pulled it off really nicely. Bravo.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  11:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ocalicreek

Tony,

Just catching up on this thread. First, I too find crows fascinating to watch. We have ravens around here that cockle and cluck and they're fun to follow.

Secondly, I have to say I prefer your cabinet. Nothing against the original, but I like the clean look you've achieved.

Finally, I've never seen rafters built in place like that, but you pulled it off really nicely. Bravo.

Galen

Galen, thank you. The roof was something I kept banging my head over for some time before I decided on this technique. If it didn't work, well, I could always find another.

We had put out some bird "cakes" this year on a hanging tray made for the purpose, and the woodpeckers love it, as well as the blackbirds, sparrows, and cardinals, along with a few others. We are going to get some more this weekend to help more birds enjoy without over crowding. We hung them on the gutter this year. Amazing how popular this has become, as there have been many birds on the one we have now.

Not wanting to take anything away from Brett's castings, but I do agree, the individually placed items and details make it a little better. I'm trying to use as few castings as I can on this model unless I just really can't pass one up.

Tony Burgess

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2018 :  4:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work on the rafters, Tony.

George

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000