Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: krasche53 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry
Page: of 33

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  8:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, I love your work. Wow what detail in those shelf support. Looks good. But, I got'ta say. Wood should be stored outside in the material yard.

It's only make-believe

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  9:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Just catching up. All those tools! I can hear someone saying, "Now where did I put that..." Most of them seem to be in a logical place, but a few seem to be "in use", that is, laid somewhere they aren't stored. Don't know if that was an intentional choice, but it works - don't change it!

I have no opinion on the wood...I leave that to other folks with more knowledge. I am learning so much watching folks on this forum.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  10:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Tony,

Its looking good but, you spent all that time trying to make 45 or 30 angle bracing for the shelves, even though they were going to be hidden, which is commendable.
But then you went and loaded the shelves up with bare uncoloured stripwood, with rough cut ends.
Come on, I know you can do better than that... dont rush it.

Karl.A

That's funny, but the wood is supposed to be fresh lumber to repair an upcoming car, after all, it is a engine and car shop. The ends are rough cut from the mill, the final size will be cut to length when replacing bad boards on the car.

Would that make sense, or do you still think they should still be weathered or colored a bit???

Yes, obviously, as you know, I understand that it's a car repair shop, and the fresh wood is to repair the decking.

Unfortunately, strip wood doesn't look like fresh cut lumber, it looks like strip wood. It needs some attention.

Real lumber still has colour variations, knots, etc, it only takes a little time for an improved look.
That little extra effort I think will be worth it for your model.

Does that make sense ?

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/05/2018 10:48:45 PM

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  7:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for your comments.

Karl,
I can see the difference. It does need at least some colour. But holy cow, Karl, the detail you have is incredible. I don't think I have any where that number of parts. And mine are too far spaced apart. But I do intend to add more, just haven't gotten there yet.

But, I can see some changes will have to be made. And I think I know just what I need to do. The gears in the noggin are now working.

Thanks for posting. And your support and help.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Edited by - Nelson458 on 08/06/2018 7:54:50 PM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  11:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl A,
I look back from time to time at your modeling and I must say I am truly inspired by all of your excellent details.

And Tony, your modeling is also an inspiration, as one can look closer at each individual piece and reflect the admiration and finesse with which you put into it all.

Rich

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2018 :  3:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Karl,
I hope you don't mind, but I am going to take a page out of your book to somewhat copy your flat car. So far, I have the wood cut and getting ready to size it all in to build the frame. The trucks are not what I wanted, but didn't have anything else handy, so I might change them around one day. Hate to make an order for just one small item.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2018 :  5:25:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

That's going to be an interesting little model and a very appropriate detail. I like your drawing. If I can make one small suggestion, I think in general the body bolsters and beams for trussrods should overlap the side sills such that the ends are flush with the outside edges of the side sills; the bolsters and truss rods should support the complete underframe. You drew them that way in the plan but not the perspective. I'm guessing you intend to do that (???) but thought I would say something just in case . . .

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2018 :  5:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tony,
Those cars are the amazing SierraWest O scale logging disconnects.

All of the exquisite metal detail parts are from Brett's kit, I just replaced the resin frame with strip wood.
(simply because I wanted them more weathered/decrepid than the originals)

The car is obviously stripped down for redecking, no brakes etc, The parts lying/strewn between
the rails are some of the actual remaining kit parts needed to build the car back up into a full unit.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 08/12/2018 10:27:05 PM

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2018 :  7:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, I wasn't planning on truss rods, it is only a shorty car, and not sure there is room for that anyway. I had thought of it, but decided against it. HOWEVER, there are going to be truss tie rod bolts on the ends, so I will look into doing something like that only with short beams.

Karl, That is what I am building mine from, an HO scale car from his set of backwoods cars. Mine is only about .20" longer. Here is half the frame built up, needing to add the thicker part of the beams.

I have used woodworkers glue, Titebond II which sets so fast I was able to sand the assembly within minutes of gluing up.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/12/2018 :  9:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I misinterpreted your drawing. In any case a car this short with such a heavy frame wouldn’t have truss rods. There’s probably not enough room to fit them anyway.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 08/12/2018 11:09:42 PM

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  07:28:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Karl A.

Now that is some detail. WOW!!! very well done.

Karl S.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/13/2018 :  4:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike, your totally forgiven. I even thought, after your comment about having it along the outside, a double truss just slightly apart, but, I think that would be overkill for such a short car.

Karl, I agree, it really is.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 08/13/2018 4:44:13 PM

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  6:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tony,
I finally found some pictures of Bill Michaels incredible HO scale "new wood" …
his colouring and detailing is just superb, unfortunately, you'll need
to scroll quite a ways down this page to see it...

www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/323/the-loco-and-service-shops-scratchbuilt-in-o-scale/p4

but its the best I've ever seen.

I hope it helps you and gives ideas.

Karl.A

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  08:32:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UKGuy

Tony,
I finally found some pictures of Bill Michaels incredible HO scale "new wood" …
his colouring and detailing is just superb, unfortunately, you'll need
to scroll quite a ways down this page to see it...

www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/323/the-loco-and-service-shops-scratchbuilt-in-o-scale/p4

but its the best I've ever seen.

I hope it helps you and gives ideas.

Karl.A

Karl,

I realize that you posted the above thread for Tony, but after viewing the "article", for (which I had never read before), it was enlightening to realize that I have incorporated similar ideas into my modeling as of late. What I'm referring to is the comments made by Bill regarding seeing depth into pictures, beyond what is normally seen at first glance. I keep a file on pictures I find that I will someday use to add certain details to a model. Also I go back countless times to vizualize what I may have missed looking at the pictures the first time.
Thanks for sharing that.

Rich

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 08/20/2018 :  5:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been doing a little bit here and there yesterday, only time I had last week to get any modeling done. Summer stuff needed to be done before the heavy rains we got on Sunday. Even had a couple of power outages for about a second or two, just enough that we had to reset the clocks.

Anyway, I took an idea from Karl (thank you for your posts, Karl) and am building a 2 truck shorty flat car which is really run down and being re-furbished. I am not sure what to put in the side with the siding, maybe some benches (?) or oil drum on a platform, or something. I'm liking the oil drum idea.

The concept here is they have started tearing down the old planking, and already started with the new (knots included) planking, to speed things up some. I want to add some distressed areas on the center beam representing torn out nails, etc.

So, thoughts are always welcome. Crossing my fingers that Karl will approve

Tony Burgess

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000