Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: lumberfan ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: banta modelworks hillside water tower kitbash Topic Next Topic: Tellynott corner module
Page: of 33

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  08:04:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, Tony. Now I'm totally impressed with your model building skills. Mortise and tenon joints in HO scale. Mind completely blown away. Just fantastic.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  7:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike and Dave, thank you, actually I HAD used Titebond II on these benches. I think I'll be using it more often, I like it. (I use it on my 1:1 builds, but hadn't on the models until now.)

Bernd, Thank you, I was wondering what it would take to win you over .

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  8:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

Tony,

You won me over a long time ago. I'm always impressed with your work as I am with all the other modelers on this forum. Great talent amongst the group.

Bernd

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 05/02/2018 :  3:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

Tony,

You won me over a long time ago. I'm always impressed with your work as I am with all the other modelers on this forum. Great talent amongst the group.

Bernd

Thank you. And your right, there is talent beyond my capabilities, that's for sure.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2018 :  1:25:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It took me a few days to figure out how to make the hand planes to go on my scratchbuilt HO scale benches for my engine and car shop. Luckily, I have some old ones I use and collect to replicate. I started out with some strips of the same tight grained mahogany I used for the bench tops, and sanded them down to the height of a scale 3.5 to 4", but smaller, (actual .030") on the width, as I was going to use some shavings from the wood side blanks for the plane sides. This bought it to the 3" or so width when finished. The shavings were left wider so as to be able to sand down when glued up. The plane blade is heavy duty aluminium foil, just the right scale for a 1/8" blade. I glued some extra shavings on the foil and cut to size, then glued in the slots. The handle was made from HO scale 1 x 4 styrene strip, carved with a file and sharp knife to get the contour, then painted a darker brown color (Vallejo paints) as it was handled a lot with dirty hands. I threw a few shavings of fresh wood in there for decoration.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2018 :  1:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a reality check, this picture is twice the actual size of the model bench.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 05/05/2018 1:52:13 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2018 :  1:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony, you are a master at scratching HO scale details!

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2018 :  1:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Tony, you are a master at scratching HO scale details!

Thank you Carl. Appreciate that.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2018 :  6:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Your work is plane amazing!

I have picked up several wood molding planes over the years. One I used regularly is a simple beading plane.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2018 :  6:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truly amazing details. Now how about that bowl of Mars candy bars?? LOL
Rich

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2018 :  8:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike and Rich, thank you.

You still thinking about those candy bars? You might need to get a few, Rich :-). Thanks for calling today. We left just afterwards to go to the lake. Just got back.

Mike, I have quite a few older planes, many are molding planes, some I don't use, no need for it, I just like having them hang around in the shop.

Tony Burgess

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2018 :  08:00:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Words fail me Tony. Great work.

Bernd

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/06/2018 :  08:28:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, your work is better than museum quality. Just outstanding!

Jim

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2018 :  12:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd and Jim, thank you very much.

Tony Burgess

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/06/2018 :  1:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is impressive!

Bryan

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: banta modelworks hillside water tower kitbash Topic Next Topic: Tellynott corner module  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000