Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry
Page: of 33

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  8:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave S

Nelson,

Great project. I am attempting to do a scratch built structure in 1/48th scale and this workbench will be perfect in the wood shop. Thanks for the idea and inspiration

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ

Your welcome, my friend.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  9:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you never cease to amaze tony. you should make molds and sell castings of these amazing details you fabricate.

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  9:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[don't you love it when some wise guy tells you what you should do?]

if you suck at playing the trumpet...that's probably why.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  4:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kevin, you never cease to make me laugh

However, I have made castings before, many of them are walls for my own structures, and some of resin castings, only because I had some material left over and needed to use it up. But I can't sell those for copyright reasons. But I never thought of selling my own, maybe it's the hassle of it all, what to charge, how many should I do, and with Shapeways coming out with some really nice stuff, I can't compete. But t hanks for the thought.

At one time I scratchbuilt some WWII wooden hoppers from the N&W RR. The N&WHS wanted me to do a bunch and sell them, after I added up my cost alone, it wasn't worth the cost, so they cancelled the idea.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 04/18/2018 4:34:38 PM

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2018 :  11:17:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I not only have a second bench built, slightly smaller, but as far as the top is concerned, I'm done (I still have the legs to do, and a fair scattering of some woodworking tools).

Tony Burgess

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2018 :  2:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
uhh... detail galore...

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2018 :  4:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hon3_rr

uhh... detail galore...

Thanks Kris

Tony Burgess

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  9:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
You are a surprise for sure! I get it, isn't that nickel one of those dinner plate size nickels?
Rich

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  08:20:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had to go back and see what scale you are working in. HO? Correct?

I'm impressed with those work benches. Now if you start using them for making furniture in HO scale, that'll blow my mind, what little there is left of it.

Nice work Tony. I'm truly impressed with the detail and old look you achieved.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  2:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
excellent details!

It's only make-believe

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  4:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Tony,
You are a surprise for sure! I get it, isn't that nickel one of those dinner plate size nickels?
Rich

OK, game up, what gave it away????

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/24/2018 :  4:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

I had to go back and see what scale you are working in. HO? Correct?

I'm impressed with those work benches. Now if you start using them for making furniture in HO scale, that'll blow my mind, what little there is left of it.

Nice work Tony. I'm truly impressed with the detail and old look you achieved.

Bernd

Thank you Bernd, yes it is indeed HO, and although I will be making some small planes and other tools, I don't think I'll be making any furniture with them any time soon. They are more for re-building wood sided freight cars, so.....maaaaybe???

I did, however, use a miniature chisel and plane in some cases to size the wood in. I bought those from Veritas. Go to http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50110 to see them. They are a charm to use.

Robert, thank you.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2018 :  4:36:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, except for some tools, I have finished the benches, which includes the legs. I had to replace the handle on the front vice on the smaller bench, apparently the styrene I used was not strong enough, so I replaced it with a brass one. The sequence I used to build the legs is explained in the photos, the end result looks like legs I would build if it were a real bench. It took a little thought, and some patience, but I did a pretty decent job, I think.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2018 :  6:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

I think with these masterpieces you’ve graduated from apprentice to master.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Dave S
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/30/2018 :  7:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Slick method for making scale mortises for tenons. Titebond II, a woodworkers best friend!

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ

Page: of 33 Previous Topic: Back to basics.... Topic Next Topic: SierraWest and J.E. Mortons Brass & Iron Foundry  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000