Railroad Line Forums - Loco shed, scratchbuild
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: john.l.schooff@gmail.com ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Car shop (resized images) Topic Next Topic: French Crew for German  Locomotive (BR-75)
Page: of 39

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2018 :  3:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice !!

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2018 :  5:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool. I've seen the kit at my LHS but balked at buying it since sometimes manufacturers put together packages that seem too specialized and are often nothing that I can't reproduce with what I already have on hand. Maybe I'l re-visit the idea. Thanks for showing it.
Cheers,
Dave

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/17/2018 :  5:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice rust effect, Tony. Thanks for the info.

George

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  05:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terrell, David and George, thank you.

And you are welcome.

Thought for Today: The bad news is time flies. The good news is we're the pilot. ~ Michael Althsuler

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  06:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not one for pushing a product or supplier, seller etc., but Scale Hobbyist at
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/

has it for $32.39. If you look up the paint set, they list the individual paints and numbers. If you have some of the paints already, you would only need to buy what you need to save even more. I did some calculating, and buying all the items except the two brushes individually, it will cost just $25.51 plus shipping. The brushes are not anything too special (I don't think, just a soft sable), a small round and a small flat. I had bought mine off Amazon only because I had a gift certificate. Just thought I'd let you know, since I like doing research. If one goes this route, I can give some instruction, but pretty much what I showed here is all you'd need. As for the initial two greys, even my enamel paint which is close to the lighter grey worked. What surprised me more than anything was the clear orange as a final rust color. but it works. I prefer to spackle the 3-D effect, leaving a little of the painted on beneath, rather than just do the entire piece.

Hope this helps.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2018 :  06:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On a similar topic, I also have other dry pigments from Vallejo, and have not used them yet because I was not too sure how to, but one can mix them with other wet mediums to produce additional effects, but now I have used this rust pigment, I can see some new possibilities, like flaking concrete, for one.

Now you 'all have got me thinking. Thanks

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  6:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm working on finishing the other 3 doors, or 6, if you count each individually. I decided, since these were going to be left open pretty much all the time, I'm not going to go through the painful process of building my own brass operating hinges. The other sets were great, but not only time consuming, may never actually be used, but, it was a fun experiment.

I've yet to put bracing on the inside of the door, and hinges and handles. I was anxious to spray paint my caboose on another post. Going between two projects.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  09:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, boy! Now that I have finished my caboose and gondola for the forums challenge, I'm back in the swing of building more of the shed. I put the scenery down first, and the floor had to be touched up a little as the water/glue had released some boards, but all is now well.

I started with gluing together 2 walls before adding them to the shed floor, starting out with the smaller front and smaller side, then the longest piece, followed by the last 2 or 3. I checked everything for square as I went, and again afterwards, and it all looks perfect. So I am happy about that. Should make the roofing a little easier to do.

So here it is:

Tony Burgess

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  10:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, it is so great to finally see this come together. While I have enjoyed your detail shots of the hinges, pit, etc to see it as a whole makes it so much better. It isn't even finished I am already just looking over the pictures, as I would a masterpiece. The downside is that I want more and I keep looking for more detail! Where's the electrical outlets? rags? bubble gum wrappers? I know you won't disappoint!!
Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing.
Cheers,
Dave

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  11:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark

Tony, it is so great to finally see this come together. While I have enjoyed your detail shots of the hinges, pit, etc to see it as a whole makes it so much better. It isn't even finished I am already just looking over the pictures, as I would a masterpiece. The downside is that I want more and I keep looking for more detail! Where's the electrical outlets? rags? bubble gum wrappers? I know you won't disappoint!!
Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing.
Cheers,
Dave

Thank you so much, Dave. By the way, how big are the bubble gum wrappers in 1940's HO scale

Tony Burgess

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  4:12:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

By the way, how big are the bubble gum wrappers in 1940's HO scale

I'm not sure but did they have "Bazooka Joe"s back then?
Cheers,
Dave

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  6:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking structure....do the bolts holding the hinges come through or are they lag bolts?

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  8:09:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark

quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

By the way, how big are the bubble gum wrappers in 1940's HO scale

I'm not sure but did they have "Bazooka Joe"s back then?
Cheers,
Dave

Dave, Bazooka bubble gum was first marketed shortly after World War II in the U.S. by the Topps Company of Brooklyn, New York. The gum was packaged in a red, white, and blue color scheme. Beginning in 1953, Topps changed the packaging to include small comic strips with the gum, featuring the character "Bazooka Joe". There are 75 different "Bazooka Joe" comic-strip wrappers to collect. So not in the 1940's, apparently.

The first flavored chewing gum was created in the 1860s by John Colgan, a Louisville, Kentucky pharmacist. But chewing gum in many forms has existed since the Neolithic period. 6,000-year-old chewing gum made from birch bark tar, with tooth imprints, has been found in Kierikki in Finland.

I look these things up. Sorry, just a thing with me.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 04/13/2018 8:26:13 PM

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  8:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

Great looking structure....do the bolts holding the hinges come through or are they lag bolts?

Karl, Let's pretend they are lag bolts. Actually, in the Machinery's Handbook, the obsolescent term "lag bolt" has been replaced by "lag screw", but in the minds of many tradesmen, they are "bolts", simply because they are large, with hex or square heads.

But to be honest, I didn't want to go to the trouble of doing them in the inside as well, although they did poke through because of the sprue length. I just sanded them flush.

Tony Burgess

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  8:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Tony. Your coloring came out perfect.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Car shop (resized images) Topic Next Topic: French Crew for German  Locomotive (BR-75)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000