Railroad Line Forums - HO Layout: Logging at the Turn of the 20th Century
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 270 ]  [ Total: 274 ]  [ Newest Member: DanielR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 HO Layout: Logging at the Turn of the 20th Century
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Stone Arch Viaduct / Bridge
Page: of 4

NejcRoskar
New Hire

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  7:11:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all!

As I promised in my SierraWest Twin Mills (with a little twist) topic:

http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49327&whichpage=1

...I'm opening a separate topic for the progress on my layout. But let's start at the beginning.

When I was about 10 years old, my friend showed me his toys - Mehano trains in HO scale. He had a small wooden plate with tracks in a circle nailed onto it. From that time on, I was addicted to this hobby. But interestingly enough, after seeing old photos of Slovenian narrowgauge logging railroads in Technical Museum of Slovenia, I graduately transfered my interests from regular trains to logging railroads. My first layout (well, my first model railroad that wasn't just a piece of wood with nailed tracks) was winter themed layout with standard size HO scale tracks and lots of hills, plastic houses etc.. But soon I started adding logging stuff, I remember that a first piece of logging equipment added was a water flume for log transporting, which was quite common around Pohorje (hill near my hometown Maribor). After me and my family moved from flat into house, I got my very own room for the layout (for this I'll be grateful to my parents forever). First layout in new room wasn't anything special, I was experimenting with techniques a lot (I was around 20 at that time). Then I started building my first serious layout and it took me around 5 years to finish.

Here are some photos:

There are more pictures on my Flickr and Facebook. You can follow/add me here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127175450@N04/

https://www.facebook.com/nejc.roskar.1

There were many flaws on that layout, from technical errors within structures itselves, to landscaping errors that I made, not as good weathering as I would like and last but not least - layout was practically built into the room. Maintaining was very difficult, and I couldn't move it to another place. So, believe it or not, about one month after finishing it I started to disasemble it (process that took more than a week with a whole day work). Here's how the room looked like after it was emptied:

Follow detailed progress of my work on Instagram: steam.era.layout.h0

NejcRoskar
New Hire

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  7:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to build layout consisting of 4 modules, 3 modules in the line (with logging theme) and one module (perpendicularly to the first three) with Victorian era town and some blacksmith themed houses (modeled after old Slovenian blacksmith town called Kropa).

Here are modules prior to painting:

Painted stands (I made them out of wood, but later in the future I plan to order aluminum ones in similar shape):

I wanted as realistic lighting + backdrop as possible, so I addopted the position of the lights from John de Frayssinet and his book in which he describes the effort of David Zelly to get perfect lighting. One should have 2 rows, front row with daylight lighting (temperature 5600K) and back row with warm white (I found out, that 3000K works best for me and 2700K is too low and therefore too yellow). It's best to get front row approx. 30 cm in front of the layout, if possible ofcourse. It wasn't the case with my layout, because the it is very wide. So I positioned the lights as good as I could, but position will be probably changed a bit when scenery is finished.

Here's the difference between the same tree under partly cloudy skies:

...and fully cloudy skies:

I spent A LOT of time working on backdrops. After many photo shootings (more than 15 times outside), I decided which clouds are perfect. I had to join 2 panoramas, because I needed fully cloudy skies on one part of the layout, and partialy cloudy on another. After more than 12 test prints (RGB to CMYK problems and finding perfect brightness), I finally got the clouds that I wanted, which were mounted onto alu sheets.

All those photos were taken about 3 years ago, so some things have changed. For example, everything was reprinted onto matt paper with matt clear foil over it, to reduce reflections. Also on the town module, foil was broadened because clouds were too far from the ground, as you can see.

Here's how it looks like at the moment:

...but track plan and tracks will be changed quite drastically in the next few months (there are Tillig H0e tracks on my layout at the moment, but I intend to change that because they are too big, so it doesn't look realistically). You'll see as I post more pictures of progress.

NejcRoskar
New Hire

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  7:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some pictures of rocks:

NejcRoskar
New Hire

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  7:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pictures of tram tracks being built:

...large opening in the middle is for big steam powerplant, its interior will be fully visible. Same goes for a big water driven blacksmith shop, which will be located in the right part of the town module.

It took very long time to finish all cobble streets, because I carved everything myself.
Pictures:

...that's it for today
I'll post details of the catenary and rolling stock soon.

Regards from Slovenia, Nejc

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  7:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Nejc, wow that is/was a beautiful looking layout!
I think your structures are perfectly weathered.
That castle scene looked fantastic!
I wish we could build them, as fast as we can rip them out.
Looks like your next layout will be even more impressive!
I thought I was crazy when it came to carving plaster/drywall mud streets.
Your carving work looks monumental in scale compared to anything I have tried.
And it looks incredible!
I love your LEGO TITANIC as well!
And also your night photography, is something that I also enjoy doing myself.
Keep up the great work!

Greg Shinnie

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 08/19/2017 :  10:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Nejc, Thank you for starting a new thread.
Carl and I will be watching with great anticipation. As you know, I love to hear how you got started as a young man.
You will inspire many more modelers.
As always I wish you the best.
ed (engine909)

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  5:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely beautiful work'. You are a very talented builder/artist'. Terrific layout'..

ted :<)

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2017 :  5:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nejc,
Your first serious layout was very impressive. Beautiful work!! Also loved the winter scene.
Judging from the cloudy skies and your cobblestone carving this next layout will be exceptional.
Looking forward to following your progress!
Dave

David Guffey

C Laskey
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  07:10:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nejc. Here we go again I have to burn my mill and the way your layout looks I will burn my layout also. Wonderful work just send me everything that you rip out. Carl

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  08:08:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nejc, your trackwork and cobblestone carving in your tram scene is exceptional. This looks like a thread a lot of us will be following very closely.

George

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  08:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of good work there, Nejc. Thanks for posting. I'll follow your layout too.

ed k
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  12:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nejc, I get the feeling your modeling is greatly appreciate. I made our friend Carl aware, and I see I need to console him again. I never knew a Marine that was this soft. I will regret that.
You both do wonderful modeling. And both can be very proud, not only your modeling but the kind of person you and Carl are. We look forward to more.
ed

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/22/2017 :  4:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will follow the progress , nice work

NejcRoskar
New Hire

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  5:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys!
I really appreciate your comments, from every single one of you! So nice to hear that you'll be following along...

NejcRoskar
New Hire

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  5:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I'm posting rolling stock details, but first let's see overhead (catenary) system. Electric logging railroads are extremely rare - in fact I don't know any other, except two such railroads in Slovenia. One was in Mislinja and another around Jelendol near Trži#269;.

I modeled overhead system and locomotive based on Mislinja logging railroad. Here is one picture of the real thing:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127175450@N04/36850574685/in/dateposted-public/

I made nearly 80 posts:

Locomotive:

NejcRoskar
New Hire

Posted - 08/27/2017 :  5:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are logging cars (all wheels will be replaced with RP25 in the future), I made two different types:

Logging train:

That's it for now

Edited by - NejcRoskar on 08/27/2017 5:19:11 PM

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: HTRR - Chapter 2 Topic Next Topic: Stone Arch Viaduct / Bridge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000