Railroad Line Forums - An Old Man Contemplates an Old Man's Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 192 ]  [ Total: 195 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 An Old Man Contemplates an Old Man's Layout
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Caz Coal & Wood Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918
Page: of 21

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  2:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bashing A Scenic Pasture Fence

A pasture for horses has been in the works on the layout for quite a some time. As fences are temporary structures, I consider them to be a part of my old nemesis, layout scenery. However, a properly fenced pasture will allow a rather large chunk of the layout to not need detailed scenery, just some weeds around the edges and a couple of horses, which for me is a good tradeoff.

In my tinplate days effective use was made of large, cast iron sectional fence, so I had a good idea of what was needed, just somewhat smaller in size and made in molded plastic. The completed fence will need to be relatively low in height and have an open look to it, so the trains running behind it can still be seen. A pig-in-a-poke pandemic purchase that met this criteria was the Woodland Scenics A3001 Log Fence.

The kit has eight interconnecting pieces that have a gnarled appearance and they are already weathered to a nice grey color with a good bit of molded on details. The kit makes four feet of fence that is one inch tall, which is chest high for an O-scale horse. As real horses like to rub against such fences, the molded pieces are oriented so that all of the supporting fence posts are located on the outside of the pasture, leaving a flat surface on the inside.

One piece of the fence has a narrow gate at its end, while a separate piece has a wide gate in its middle. For the highly visible front section of the fence, these two pieces had to be bashed together to fit the space available. As the plastic is somewhat soft as well as flexible, I used my flush cutting pliers and a small file, instead of my trusty razer saw. The rest of the pieces were bashed as needed to make a squarish pasture, the rear of which abuts the railroad track at the back of the layout.

Posing the horses in the pasture should be a simple thing, but I wanted to include something a bit unusual. On a pre-pandemic drive through Amish country, I saw standing in a field, a Pushmi-Pullyo from "The Story of Doctor Dolittle." Upon closer examination, it was two mules standing side by side, but they were facing in opposite directions. When one mule flicked its tail, not only did it chase the flies from its own posterior, it also kept the flies off of its companion's face. The same thing was happening at the other end. Posing two model horses in the same way adds some prototypical interest to the otherwise plain, fenced pasture scene.

Edited by - Dan on 03/05/2021 04:10:17 AM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  4:36:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the scene. It's a winner.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/04/2021 :  1:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob,

I am starting to get a grip on this layout scenery thing. There are so many new products that make it easy.

All the best.

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  4:36:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An Organic Bumping Post

An HO scale bumping post, installed at the far end of the factory spur to engage the car mounted Kadee couplers, takes up too much spur space and it creates a hard stop for approaching cuts of cars, which are hidden from view behind the factory building until the last second. Although the maximum coupling speed is a prototypical 4 mph, hard hits on the bumping post would create derailments back up the curving factory spur.

Furthermore, the somewhat shorter Atlas code 83 clip-on bumping posts are not prototypical. They are a smaller version of the Atlas code 100 bumper tracks, which, to me, look pretty awful. A trimmed down code 83 bumping post was positioned to be hidden behind the outhouse structure at the right front of the layout. While this, visually, worked well, that occasional hard hit was still a problem.

At a long ago train show, I bought several packs of premade O-scale cattails to plant around the proposed rock rimmed spring. There were a few left over, so their "tails" were trimmed off, making them generic. These were then planted at the very end of the factory spur, after removing the clip-on bumping post. A gap was left between the plants so the car mounted Kadee couplers would slide between them, allowing the end sills of the cars to engage the plants, thus every possible fraction of an inch of the factory spur can be used.

On a hard hit, the flexing of the semi-rigid plants, with their stalks buried deep into the pink layout foam, will bring a slow moving cut of cars to a controlled stop, with the loco drivers slipping. When the shoving loco backs off, the cars are still on the track and the plants return to their previous shape.

Parts of the generic green plants, poking out from behind the side of the outhouse, helps to visually soften this part of the industrial scene.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2021 :  6:41:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Clever!

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 03/11/2021 6:42:37 PM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  04:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting idea.

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/12/2021 :  5:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael and Rick,

While the body is falling apart, the brain is still functioning.

All the best

Edited by - Dan on 03/12/2021 5:58:34 PM

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/05/2021 :  11:47:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After an amazing 42 days in the limbo sustained by the USPS, the SoundTraxx Econami that I ordered on back February 18 finally showed up. The proposed delayed delivery of St. Pactrick's Day was just a pipedream.

Although I will miss the hands on work on the layout, I am glad that it is almost over as I cannot take much more of these delays. GRRRRR!

When I retired I promised myself that I would not become a grumpy old man, but this is really pushing my limits. I thought model railroading was supposed to be fun.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/06/2021 :  2:34:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan great looking pasture scene and I like the two horses together. The use of the plants to slow down the cars was brilliant! I've had times where it takes forever to get something via USPS and then other times the order is here in three to five days from order to door. I think it all depends on where you order from. When I stop having fun then I walk away for a few days.

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/07/2021 :  8:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys,

I was just grousing...blowing off steam and venting my spleen. I guess I could have ended it with an appropriate emoji.

I did get both of my Covis vaccinations, so I don't have that specter looking over my shoulder. It is the only time in my life where being elderly with underlying medical conditions was actually an advantage.

All the best to everyone.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2021 :  04:25:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan, venting is OK sometimes.

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/11/2021 :  05:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I attended a real face-to-face, shoulder-to-shoulder model train show -- the first in over a year. The group that puts on the big shows at the state fairgrounds, two acres of trains under one roof, also put this one together. As the fairgrounds is now a state run Covid vaccination site, the show had to be smaller. Nevertheless it was four big conference/reception rooms and two hallways at a nearby hotel.

As usual these days, one had to preregister for a time slot and wear a mask. Although there was plenty of room, with wide one-way aisles, social distancing was sometimes fudged a bit. It is the nature of the beast and no one seemed to mind. Good people having a good time and it was all about model trains.

With cars from surrounding states in the parking lot and the usual quick moving line at the entrance when the show opened, it was a touch of normalcy.

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: Caz Coal & Wood Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000