Railroad Line Forums - Das Boot, a 1/35 scale WWII U-Boat diorama
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 Das Boot, a 1/35 scale WWII U-Boat diorama
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Aero Bermuda, by WIllys
Page: of 19

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2018 :  12:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update Dave. Looking forward to it.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

drevelia
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/21/2019 :  09:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit drevelia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know it been a long time since my last post to this thread but here are a few things I've been working on.

The Arado 196 A float plane is my first model plane build since my childhood days. (It was Frank's idea to add the plane to the diorama)

I'm procrastinating on building out the U-boat by focusing on some of the multitude of diorama details
Dave

[

drevelia
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/21/2019 :  10:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit drevelia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I forgot to note that I added a couple of figures to Frank Palmer's beautiful Tugboat build

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2019 :  10:22:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work Dave.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/21/2019 :  10:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, those pieces look incredible!

Greg Shinnie

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2019 :  11:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Just WOW!

Pete
in Michigan

halrey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/21/2019 :  11:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice Dave!

Hal

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2019 :  12:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work with the extra details Dave. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Rich

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2019 :  1:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave outstanding modeling!

Thanks for sharing the pictures and the updates.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/01/2019 :  12:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

der kran teil zwei

To bring you up-to-date on DAS BOOT where I left off 2 years ago. Yikes that was a long time ago. But as you know I havent been twiddling my fingers, but Dave has been goofing off on this project. I completed the redesign of the boom in July of 2017.

Since Dave did a restart on Das Boot I thought Id go back to work on the crane. This is the way it is on the box.

I was wondering how the operator could see what the heck he was doing. Besides it scales only just over 6 high at the front and 9 at the rear. And it was on a stationary base. Not very practical. So I started making my modifications. I turned it around, cut openings for windows. It seems a lot of old dock cranes had structural looking windows.

I found this one on display in Spain. This design looked good so I began to make a similar one.

This is how it looks turned around and with windows.

This is the redesign of the rolling base. It will straddle the RR line underneath. The unloading of torpedoes to the subs will be much easier.

Besides the required pieces I made a few extras and Im still missing a few other parts. A straddle crane wasnt built in a day.

The 2 A-Frames, 3 cross beams, 6 wheels and 2 of the 4 base frames are partially built. They still need to be wrapped with 3/16 wide bands to complete the steel I-Beam look.

Wrapping the A frame with the 3/6 wide 1/64 plywood. The outside bend was simple, I just kept rubbing the plywood till it wrapped around the curve. The inside bend was different. I wet the 2 areas to be curved, wrapped them around a dowel and heated it with a hair dryer till the bend was stiff.

A few clamps were used in the process of gluing the pieces together.

Setting the I beams in place.

After building the truck for the crane to ride on I decided to redesign it and build 2 new ones.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2019 :  12:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Busy have you been, Mister Palmer! Looking good it is!

Pete
in Michigan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2019 :  1:10:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice!

I am confused, did you make these- or are they parts from the kit again?

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2019 :  2:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dave and Frank...What a team! Two of today's best model builders.
Beautiful job on all of the diorama pieces!

David Guffey

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/01/2019 :  8:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Frank you lived up to your I'll take this easy kit and make it a masterpiece!!

Great to see you back at it.

Jerry

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/02/2019 :  11:14:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pete are you going Yoda on us, predicate before the subject? Thanks I appreciate.

Carl, this is one of those Frankenstein Kits. I draw the parts in Cadd and Dave cuts them on the laser.

I have another drawing for an almost equal pile of parts waiting to be cut on Wednesday. Good Lord willing and Dorien stays away.

Thanks a lot Dave.

Jerry happy to see you back from the beach. Im guessing the beach is out this coming weekend. Thanks

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/02/2019 11:20:46 AM

Page: of 19 Topic Next Topic: Aero Bermuda, by WIllys  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000