Railroad Line Forums - looking for small industry construction articles
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 93 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 looking for small industry construction articles
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: RRL Crew goes Cruisin Topic Next Topic: You just lost everything, what scale do you start?  

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  3:27:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am working on a 4' x 5' L-shaped layout. Each leg of the L is only 1' wide. I am looking for construction articles of small industries, similar to the 8-ball locomotive works that was in the Oct. 1971 and Feb. 1951 RMC. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff S.

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  3:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a couple of paperback books by Model Railroader called "Space-Saving Industries for Your Layout".

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

southpier
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  7:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not sure of its original title (Dilly Manufacturing?) but the 8 Ball Locomotive Works started life as an E.L. Moore structure. check this blog for a world class assemblage or E.L. information: https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/2017/05/making-start-on-evrr.html#comment-form

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  02:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy, this is a big question. I concur that E.L. Moore's articles are a great starting reference and not to be overlooked.

But to better understand your desired search...
1) What era or time frame is your setting?
2) What area or location is the setting?
3) Any specific or general industry being modeled?
4) Are operating on the layout to the individual industries important?
5) Are you looking for plans, detailed how-to articles or painting and weathering techniques?
6) Are you interested in working with specific materials; building structures from wood or styrene only?
7) Any specific scale?

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  04:41:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

A large proportion of the scratchbuilding articles from the 50's-70's would be small or compressed industries, like the articles you've mentioned. Kalmbach would collect articles into softcover books that can still be found at train shows.

Some online businesses with relatively small footprints are oil dealerships, coal dealers, dairies, meat packers, and lumber yards. You could search the Kalmbach train magazine index for articles.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

RichBeau
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  08:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can also model just part of an industry. For example you could have a large recycling facility (aka junk yard) at a siding near the front of the layout. Most of the industry would be off-layout. A small portion (a few piles of material, some fencing, a vehicle or two, plus a small shed or office).

--Rich

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  09:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Guys. I will check out your suggestions.

Jeff S.

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  10:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

Following up on Rich's comment you can model a stockyard with only the fence nearest the track and the loading ramp being modeled. The rest of the stockyard would be where the viewer is standing.

A great small space industry at the front of the layout is a team track.

If you make one leg serving a waterfront area, you can model a wharf with the water being where the viewer is.

The advantage of a wharf and team tracks are that any kind of freight car can be placed there.

Icing platforms were vital for all railroads before mechanical reefers were brought in. Icing platforms are very narrow.

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  10:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minor correction:

The source of what E. L. Moore called The Dilly Manufacturing Company was actually a 2-page article in the February 1951 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman called Eight Ball Locomotive Works by Eric Brunger with plans by Bill Livingston.

southpier
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  7:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hah! and right you are: https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.ca/2016/09/e-l-moore-in-21st-century-dilly-behind.html

this is the last sentence in that link:

Well, if your head is spinning around after all this, donít worry, mine is too :-) One thingís for certain: Bill Livingston designed this little building and itís been quite popular for many years.†

Posted by J D Lowe at 5:20 AM
Labels: E L Moore Files, E L Moore's 21th century legacy

Edited by - southpier on 05/18/2017 7:10:02 PM

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  11:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only know about the 8 Ball Locomotive Works as I built my first one from the early article.

I have since built it in different scales.

John Allen laughed at how small our buildings are. He said to build them small and tall.

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  10:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward Jeff to some pictures of your structures after being constructed.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  11:26:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have all the EL Moore articles on PDF. If interested send me your e-mail address in a private e-mail.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
ďThose who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.Ē~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, Americaís 1st Homeland Security

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  2:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mabloodhound

I have all the EL Moore articles on PDF. If interested send me your e-mail address in a private e-mail.

Dave,

PM sent.

Jeff S.

jdlowe
New Hire

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  8:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit jdlowe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by southpier

hah! and right you are: https://30squaresofontario.blogspot.ca/2016/09/e-l-moore-in-21st-century-dilly-behind.html

this is the last sentence in that link:

Well, if your head is spinning around after all this, donít worry, mine is too :-) One thingís for certain: Bill Livingston designed this little building and itís been quite popular for many years.†

Yeap, even after all those many months since I wrote that my mind boggles at the mini-kerfuffle that erupted all those years ago about who designed the 8-Ball Loco Works and who owned it. I think it's a tribute to the design. It was quite popular in its time and still has an intriguing look to it. Thank-you for posting the link and hope you found it interesting.

Posted by J D Lowe at 5:20 AM
Labels: E L Moore Files, E L Moore's 21th century legacy

Previous Topic: RRL Crew goes Cruisin Topic Next Topic: You just lost everything, what scale do you start?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000