Railroad Line Forums - building permits
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 64 ]  [ Total: 66 ]  [ Newest Member: petese505 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 building permits
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Caterpillar Railroad right-of-way cleaning flatcar Topic Next Topic: SOKOLS from Bar Mills  

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  07:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit kebmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i manage a couple of condo properties in a northern suburb of chicago. it's an affluent suburb, and years ago i was a letter carrier in the town. back then, "starter homes" in the town were going for $350,000-$400,000, and they were being torn down to put up mcmansions. imagine my surprise when i saw this house a few days ago:

that east wall you're looking at is less than 6', and the other end is less than 14'. howinthehell were they able to convince the town to issue a permit to build this thing? if i were a neighbor i'd be so pissed off.....

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  08:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think that's a "backdrop" building that somehow got misplaced on the 1:1 scale layout.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  08:39:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange. It doesn't allow for a very creative floor plan.

George

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  10:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, and I thought my brush track cleaning flatcar was ugly! I agree with all of you, and your statement of being pissed, that I'd be if I were the neighbor. The mansions here in Newport, RI on Bellevue Ave. would have burned it down by now.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  11:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin, I've learnt long ago to never judge a book or home by it's cover.
It does look small, but on the inside it might appear more spacious than it looks on the outside.
And it's smaller size will offer greater energy efficiency.
Perhaps the neighbour was the builder.
Maybe it's a guest house.
On a planet that's getting smaller by the day, urban intensification is better than endless urban sprawl.
Just my 2 cents worth. Okay maybe a nickels worth.

Greg Shinnie

southpier
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  12:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
checking the histerical register I was able to locate a blurb about the house:

The Northern Chicago headquarters of the renowned Micro Layouts late founder Carl Arendt was just sold at his estate settlement for 1.3 million nuggets of anthracite. The house, three levels totaling 960 square feet, contained over 18 of his most popular model railroads, 36 locomotives, and 224 pieces of rolling stock, all in HO scale. The buyer's intention is to convert the single family dwelling into a mecca for model railroaders worldwide.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  1:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That would be a more pleasant universe, Southpier.

I've seen plenty of buildings like that in other countries, but it's a mark of American zoning that this one isn't wall-to-wall with buildings on two sides of it. A lot depends on how the zoning was written - I'm thinking the minimum lot size, if there is one here, might be 0.1 acre. I can see that their setbacks are ~20 feet front and ~5 feet sides & rear. If the zoning doesn't forbid it, a building permit's gotta be issued, though I agree this one would be much easier to build if it and the two lots behind it were all owned by the developer...

(close to 20 years on our Planning Board, and yes, our town regulates lot shape; I wrote the amendment)

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  4:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a "spite-house"!
Check it out online, many more out there....

Michael Graff
"Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit"
Swedish custom model builder.
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  8:27:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talk about a 'front'! or, it could be a staircase to an underground lair (Dr. Evil), or it's just part of the corrupt political machinery in that state. How many former Governors again?

Previous Topic: Caterpillar Railroad right-of-way cleaning flatcar Topic Next Topic: SOKOLS from Bar Mills  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000