Railroad Line Forums - Help with z scale track
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Help with z scale track
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary leftovers build. Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash  

bostonjim
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/24/2017 :  09:45:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, fellow z-scalers. I have some questions about the various track and track-making kits on the market. I am finally ready to lay track on a 2'x2' module. It will have 6 turnouts, 3 left and 3 right. Currently I have Marklin turnouts, but have 6 Peter Wright turnouts that I would like to use in their place. They will have to be wired. I have purchased Micro-Mark switch machines to power them. The problem is I have never done this before. How do I begin? I have also seen a product by Fast Track that allows you to build your own turnouts. Has anybody had any experience using it. Can I also get a quick description of the various turnouts, i.e. No. 5, No.6, etc..How do they differ? What is the Marklin turnout No. equivalent? Any turnouts that I may build will have to have the same footprint. Peco flex-track in z. Is it compatible with other z track? How can it be made compatible, if possible? My strengths are with the modeling aspect and not with the technical part of making everything operate. I'd appreciate any advice or tips. I have posted, previously a photo of the module I am talking about. It is under "Z-scale photos" Thanks, Jim in Boston

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2017 :  12:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never worked with Z so can't be of any help but hopefully someone else here can.

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/24/2017 :  3:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 'frog number' is the angle at the frog, expressed as 'one in five' (#5), 'one in eight' (#8) etc. The 'Micro Mark Switch Tender' appears to be a stall-motor type, but I've never worked with them. It appears to need a slot in the roadbed to bring the throw wire up to a hole in the throw bar. If I knew anyone in Mass. working in Z scale, I'd be happy to introduce you, but the best I can do is a half-dozen N scale modelers. My own layout is maybe 40 miles from you, but it's HO. PM if you want to talk directly.

ldk59
New Hire

Posted - 05/21/2017 :  8:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,
You might try heading over to the TrainBoard forums, there seems to be a fairly active Z scale contingent over there.

http://www.trainboard.com/highball/index.php?forums/z-scale.113/

Previous Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary leftovers build. Topic Next Topic: DPM Corner Apothecary - (another) Kitbash  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000