Railroad Line Forums - Monster Bash'
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: buc45 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Monster Bash'
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Low light shots Topic Next Topic: São Martins de Rio Valbergue
Page: of 2

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  7:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone', this is a "Monster Model works" O scale kit by 'Jimmy Simmons'. It is an Engineer's Tool Shed. On occasion I enjoy a kit. I mainly wanted to try Jimmy's, brick walls made of laser engraved wood. This is a brand new offering from MMW, and reasonably priced and a good opportunity to try his brick walls. A nice little kit, nothing too sophisticated, so I had no choice but to bash it up a bit. Photos in next post.

Ted

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  7:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the original version"

The following are the bashed version:

The basic kit does not come with any accessories, smoke stacks, signs etc. all the added items
are from the scrap box. The signs are from the internet, by Dr. Ken Jones, Ghost Signs. They are printed
on regular tracing paper, after re-sizing to scale. My process is very similar to Ralph Renzetti (CN6401)
system. with a few exceptions. I don't paint a white background under the sign, as I want them dull and not bright.
and I don't make cutouts. Here is Ralph's thread http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38442

The tops walls are JTT plastic brick sheets. The shingles are from Walt, 'Rusty Stumps'models. No paint of any
type was used. The bottom brick is a brownish basswood. I used Dr. Ben's industrial pigments,[Chicago Red] applied
dry. A coat of terracotta sporadically applied. A spray of dull coat. the next day a very light spray of A&I, mostly A.
The brownish wood was enhanced the powders. The top windows are from Ebay, don't remember the vendor off hand.
The structure is also lighted. I Still have to add outdoor lights and few more details.
Here is a close up of a lower brick wall.

I really like these wood brick walls as much as I like plaster The mortar is plain baking flour, and an additional dull coat
spray. All The green is Chartpak Markers and Pan Pastel dark green.

Thanks in advance for any questions and taking a look.

Ted

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 04/07/2017 10:56:00 PM

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  06:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice detail on the brick wall.

Bryan

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  06:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well thought out changes and additions Ted. It almost makes me want to switch scales.

Jim

rda
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  06:50:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Ted, thanks for posting.

RDA

C Laskey
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  07:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Real nice work Ted the brick's are spot on, Good Job.
Carl

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  07:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted, it looks VERY GOOD to me. A few years ago they also did those laser engraved brick sheets in 1/24
scale and I used some for a structure and really liked it. They then discontinued the 1/24 stuff, I
guess because it was too expensive in that scale.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Edited by - sgtbob on 04/09/2017 07:52:59 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  08:16:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted,

Great job with the Monster bash. (I can almost hear the song.) The brick is outstanding.

I have some of the Monster brick sheet on hand to try sometime. I wonder if your method for mortar works in HO?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  09:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted,
Super job on the "bashed" build!
The brick looks great and the weathered signs are perfect.
Way to go my friend!!
Dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  10:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! good work on the monster.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  11:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fabulous job there Ted! Great structure weathering, ghost signs, structure addition, right down to the figure sitting on the balcony. Outstanding build altogether, along with your how-to instructions.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  5:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
! Thank you! very much for your very nice comments: Bryan; Big Burley Jim; RDA, Carl C;
Mr. Santos; Michael H; Bob H; Louis and Dave G'..

I had a very difficult time last night loading the photos on the forum, I had to keep re-sizing, and re-sizing. The reason for such small pics. I guess I was lucky not to loose the post which has happened several times in the past. Not sure what the bug was, as I usually don't have any problems with sizing. Could be the Webresizer program I'v been using. Any way, if you would like to see any additional pics of the signs, just let me know. The Owl cigar sign really came out very good. That Ghost Sign website is really very cool. I have spent many hours on there and still haven't seen all the signs on there.

The flour should work as well on 1:87 SCALE Mike, as it does on 1:43/1:48. It does take to these brick sheets very well due to the recess depth of the mortar lines.

I love real plaster first. But I have ordered a good chunk of materials from MMWs for future builds. And another new kit Jimmy is offering a very nice dual entry 2 story store
structure'. It will be shipping soon. I plan on making 2 buildings out of it..

It was a very nice surprise opening the forum today and seeing the very nice comments from all you excellent model craftsmen. It is very much appreciated.

Ted

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  08:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice stuff, ted. Those signs printed on tracing paper really look painted on the walls!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  10:40:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Ted nice bash. You did a great job on the brick and mortar weathering.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  11:42:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Ted. Your flour mortar came out good. I tried that with poor results so I switched to cornstarch and got much better joints. I just spread the cornstarch with my fingers and lightly blow off the loose stuff. Dull coat applied and it all comes out.

I hope to try one of MMWs items. I have his laser cut log cabin walls set. Packed away right now but someday I'll find it.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  12:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bash & brick work is great! Who's sleeping?

Philip

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Low light shots Topic Next Topic: São Martins de Rio Valbergue  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000