Railroad Line Forums - Keeping Track of the Desparado Line
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 69 ]  [ Total: 71 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Keeping Track of the Desparado Line
Previous Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Maine Highlands Topic Next Topic: DPM Pawn Shop
Page: of 3

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2017 :  11:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice presentation Aran'...Great methods for scenery'.. And it looks good'...

Ted in South Western, Connecticut

otiscnj
Section Hand

Posted - 03/08/2017 :  12:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking city, and layout! Nice assortment of equipment. Like the trackplan.

Bindlestiff
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  2:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The goal here is to document as much as I can the current status of the DESPRR in an effort to force myself to finish the durn thing. I wanna get past going down into the train room and looking around at twenty almost finished projects. I admire the people who can squeeze out finished work almost like toothpaste. I work at things for awhile and abandon them when the muse evaporates or moves on. Still though, progress must be made.

Here's pair that no longer have a place on the roster but are a little too nice to part with.

They're both Bachmann consolidations, smooth runners. good pullers but need sound systems and are a little too small for the main line.

Ballasting track is a rite of passage for serious model railroaders. I mean you get your track working quite smoothly, you glue down the ballast and now the train bumps along those pesky little pieces stuck to the inside of the rails. it happens and its a horror if a person used water proof glue or thought they were clever by sticking their track down with caulking and throwing ballast into it while still wet. I've learned to approach these things with a lot more caution.

Here the track is at the rear of the 30" wide bench work and at a elevation of 55". I've made both the structures and the rear scenery demountable. So all I got to do is fit in the missing ties at the joints and paint the track before ballasting. Oh yeah, I better clean off the blue drips from painting the back drop.

Aran Sendan

Bindlestiff
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  11:58:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes the 1:! world intrudes on my model world. Besides just how interesting can ballasting be. So I read the books and the articles and spread my ballast neatly and got it just right. Then I sprayed it with diluted mat medium and it all floated around and washed dowm the slopes and stuck the turnout points. Argh! argh!! argh!!!. Well I don't do it that way anymore.

For one thing I only use non-water resistant glue. I tend to rework things so like to be able to remove and re-use track components. I also found that if i first applied a bead of glue along the shoulder of the road bed and immediately added ballast to it, when I ballasted and smoothed out the center of the track that the ballast would stay in place. I also learned the necessity of a wetting agent. I use the same alcohol that I use for the A&I weathering mix. I spray this on and immediately run a bead of thinned white glue along each inside of the track.

This is after the glue has soaked in but before it dried. Its a challenge for me not to mess with it before it dries. I was the kid who went for one cookie now instead of two cookies later. I mean can you really trust people wearing white lab coats messing with your mind?

After the ballast dries I scrape off the paint from the top of the rails with a single edge razor blade. I then scrub the track with a little wire brush to knock off any stray ballast. A little water and an old tooth brush will remove anything thats really wrong.

After vacuuming I put back the structures and the rear scenery.

Someday I hope to put this Rivarossi Hiesler into operation on the Hellegon Branch

Aran Sendan

Bindlestiff
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  12:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This cute little NW2 from Broadway is a dead ringer for a restored engine on the Niles Canyon Railway. Its a section of the Southern Pacific that ran between Sunol and Fremont in the San Francisco Bay Area. It's being resurrected by a great group of volunteers who enjoy lifting the many, many heavy objects needed to make it all work. And a fun ride for us more casual enthusiasts.

My Broadway model is a bit finicky over dead frogs (the only kind that I have) and some day I hope to get a keep alive installed in it.

It should be obvious by now, dear reader, that I occasionally stress about having undertaken a little more than I'm comfortable with. Supposed to be good for the soul.

An Intermountain F7 in the "cigar band livery". Its kind of lonely without a "B" unit and has developed a habit of dropping off its parts - the skirts, a number bezel. We were given a Cockatoo that got very lonely when his owner passed. He had begun to pull out his feathers and squawked incessantly. The hope was that he'd adapt but didn't. We were lucky to place him in the care of a lady who specialized in healing neurotic birds. My F7 is confined to his box until a suitable partner can be arranged for.

Aran Sendan

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Maine Highlands Topic Next Topic: DPM Pawn Shop  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000