Railroad Line Forums - The grandson layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 85 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: ida ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 The grandson layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad Topic Next Topic: How many of you recognize this?
Page: of 3

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  12:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James - That was an excellent suggestion. Thank you for taking the time to look at the design and offering suggestions. I truly appreciate it.
Rob - I really love the new design. That grade was my biggest concern and it has been eliminated. Again, I appreciate all the help you are giving me in designing this layout.
Jeff

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  12:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff,

The grade hadn't been eliminated, just the tunnel under the town. However, you have a lot more flexibility where the grade begins, and how steep it is. You still need the grade to get the lines to cross over one another.

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

TREAD: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42599

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  1:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will look for the progress

Frank The Cowboybilly

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  1:54:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank. I need to get to the building supply store for some more foam boards to complete the base so I can begin the track laying process.
Rob, I misspoke. I realize the grade is still there, should have said the grade won't be as steep. Sorry! Would it be possible to tell me the radius of the various curves? If you have them, I would appreciate it.
Jeff

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  1:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff,

How about we wait a few days to see what other input you get just in case there are other suggestions for changes. Once we are absolutely sure this is this the final plan, I will supply you with the radius, elevations and grades. It takes a bit of work to do all that, and I would rather not have to do it more than once.

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2017 :  2:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,
Sounds very reasonable to me. I wouldn't be starting on any track for at least a week or two anyway. I know this is a lot of work. I wish I lived closer, I think I owe you a libation or two! :) (At the very least!)
Jeff

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  2:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in the process of acquiring the rest of what I need to start building the base, laying and wiring track. Unless there are any more suggestions on the track plan, I am planning on going with what Rob has designed with the one change suggested by James. I am going to use the Tortoise switch machines for the turnouts and am intrigued with the Touch Toggles I saw on one of Joey Ricard's YouTube videos. Has anyone installed these on a layout and if you did, what is your opinion? Also, what are member's opinions on what to use for fascia? I will have to rent a truck to haul some foam board and would like to buy the fascia at the same time to prevent too many trips! Thanks for any suggestions or opinions.
Jeff

jburch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  3:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

Great space, Should be a lot of fun and the grandkids will love coming over to Grandpa's to "Play Trains". I have two of my own which has motivated me to get off the couch and start putting something together with the pieces I've built.

Good Luck, Looking Good

Jeff B

David Clark
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  5:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On your marks, set, ...Go!
Dave

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  5:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was exactly my motivation too Jeff!
Hopefully, later this week Dave.

jburch
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  7:54:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to watching your progress and feeding off of your motivation...

Jeff B

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  07:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Jeff,
Here's the radius/elevation diagram:

Here's the plan with a grid:

Take care,
Rob.

Rob Chant
Glace Bay, NS
CANADA

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  10:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob. Those diagrams are perfect for what I will need in the upcoming months. Thanks again for helping with this design. It will be fun to see how this layout progresses. I'm looking forward to learning a few new skills along the way.
Jeff

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  5:52:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting the initial layer of foam board down on the benchwork. I'm securing with caulk and am making sure that the foam board does not overlap one section to the other. Trying to think ahead to when it might be taken apart and hoping that what I do now will help that process. I'm also keeping a journal of the construction which might help too.
Jeff

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  7:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two things to consider at this point: First, are the table sections screwed together so nothing will shift
during construction and after? I like to use Robertson square-drive screws for joints I may want to take
apart later.

Second, consider separating the foam that's under raised track from the foam that's the base
of the lower level of track. You can build the whole upper section on a 2nd layer of foam, using something
like Woodland Scenics foam ramp formers to make the grades. But some things that are easy to do through 1"
of foam start to get difficult through 4". Like installing most commercial power switch mechanisms. I've never
tried bending foam to make a grade (done it many times with plywood) but it might be possible if done with care.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Northeast Kingdom Railroad Topic Next Topic: How many of you recognize this?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000