Railroad Line Forums - The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 The Whiskey Gap & Southern Railroad
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: What to do with it all
Page: of 27

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2018 :  11:55:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a little detour to talk about lighting. In my search for information on lighting I came across lots of information and ideas from many on these forums. I tried some from Bill at Microlumina, some grain of wheat from Micro Mark, and then some others from WeHonest via eBay. I had no experience with any of them and had no idea what size they were, how long the necks were etc. Bill was generous enough to send me a couple so I could try them out. Here is a picture of all of them so you can compare.

The first 4 next to the ruler are from WeHonest. I was hoping to use the light pole along the wharf but the 1/2" thread works out to 2 scale feet and extends way below the dock. The gooseneck and straight lamps are pretty big scale-wise and seem to stick out too far from the building wall but the hanging lamps would work fine inside an engine house or mill, just fine. The lamp at the top is from Microlumina and requires a craftsman model to sit on, I think. Using it on my building would be like throwing pearls before swine. I'm not saying this to fish for compliments but it is so fine compared to the roughness of my construction that it seems out of place. Finally the one, with the twisted wire, is the GOW bulb in a Ngineering O-scale lampshade. I was thinking of doing the Greg Shinnie method of coating the twisted wire with thick paint to make it look like tubing. The lamp shade seems to be an appropriate size and I can make it stick out as far as I want. Of course, the first ones (Microlumina and WeHonest are all LEDs, which still freaks me out a bit - I haven't figured out a wiring plan yet. The WeHonest stuff was sent with 620 ohm resistors, so I'm assuming they are sufficient. Just not sure if I should be adding resistors to each LED or ganging them into three's. I was going to use a wall wart that puts out 12V (the GOW bulbs are 12V-15V). Am I correct in thinking that I can use as many bulbs in parallel as can "fit" as long as I don't go past the complete wattage of the wall wart?

These are the Ngineering lamp shades. I just drilled a hole in the top and fed the wires through.

Thanks for looking,
Cheers,
Dave

Edited by - David Clark on 04/11/2018 12:19:34 AM

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2018 :  12:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here is the chandlery assembled but roofless. I still need to make a porch and some stairs at the front of the building. I think I will put a lean-to type roof over that door as well. The black, blank part of the sidewall abuts "Chants Import-Export" and the loading dock will extend down the back of Chant's to the baggage door on the side. I have guests using my train room as a bedroom for a couple of days so I can't show it in situ.
Comments are welcome, of course.
Cheers,
Dave

This is the front of the building.

This is the view looking from the west side. You can see the baggage door that will accept and deliver freight to the track side loading dock.

Here is the view from the end of the wharf looking west. Freight can pass through from water-side to track-side here.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2018 :  07:32:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

ďChantsĒ is looking good with the posters and just the right size support under the overhang.

Do you hear the sounds of trains running from your bedroom?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2018 :  3:50:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike. LOL. It's my mother-on-law's sister and husband - it's all been quiet down there.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  01:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After puzzling for some time over a roofing material I decided to try my hand at cedar shingles. I used sheets of cedar wrap for bbq-ing. Sliced them into 2' scale lengths, soaked them in some IA solution, then cut them into 18" long shingles, and attached them with double-sided tape. This roof goes on the bump out on the brown building. Let me know what you think.
Cheers,
Dave

Edited by - David Clark on 04/17/2018 01:23:44 AM

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2018 :  10:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been while but I got a chance to finish the roof (minus weathering and attaching) for my chandlery.
I used the cedar food wraps, weathered in IA mix. I used about 3 4"x4" sheets and had some left over. I let the different sheets soak for different periods to get different shades. The shingles are stuck down with double-sided tape. I added a piece of grey Canson Miteintes paper that I lightly sprayed with black to be a patch on the roof and the patches on the ridge.
I will make an attempt at adding some exterior lights to the building before I attach the roof.
Comments/suggestions are, of course, welcome.
Cheers,
Dave

Edited by - David Clark on 05/01/2018 2:15:32 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2018 :  10:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I think your roof is going to require new shingles soon. Individually-applied shingles look great on a model.

By the way, I was able to copy and paste the link to your image in another window to see it. I think your slash before the img tag is the wrong one.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  2:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, thanks for noticing. You were right, the "slash" was backwards.
I also got some lights put in but I haven't got them powered yet. Not sure how I'm going to get power to the dock, now that it is installed (didn't think far enough ahead - actually I didn't think I would be doing lights).
Will try for more pics tonight.
Cheers,
Dave

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  2:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 05/31/2018 :  11:33:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a while but despite a torn rotator cuff and subsequent surgery I managed to get a little hobby time in. Working with one arm is tough. Anyhow, I installed the trestle bents for the water crossing to the dock and filled in the planking for the vehicle access to the mainland. My levelling was less than ideal so it all looks a little rough.
Of course any comments are welcome.
Cheers,
Dave

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  12:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I posted my last update I realized that I promised a pic with the new lights. It's a terrible picture but.... we got lights!
Cheers,
Dave

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  08:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Dave.

Must be fun working with one hand!
But still your moving good for you.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

David Clark
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  09:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jerry. Working with one hand is S-L-O-W! I also installed some rare earth magnets under the rails after the turnouts for automatic uncoupling, but nothing much to see there.
Thanks for looking!
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  09:27:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good with lights. And I like the trestle and bridge. Itís a coming together nicely.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/01/2018 :  10:25:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's looking just great.

Page: of 27 Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: What to do with it all  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000