Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: John R ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks
Page: of 49

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2017 :  9:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis, MY 2 cents worth is for the diamond plate'. I think since it is a converted vehicle,
the diamond plate will be more realistic, unless like Mike say's, you want that woodsy look..
I know you'll make the right decision either way'..

Ted

rda
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  02:54:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis:

By all means go with the plate.

RDA

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  1:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

I am building a late 19th Century meat packing plant:

My initial sketches:

I used Gimp to adjust perspective for getting measurements for my sketch. (See Bill Gill, I was paying attention when I saw your clinic last fall.) I also have additional views to work from.

Mike

Looking good Mike,
When I first saw your painted sides I thought it looked too long so I went back and looked at the prototypes's picture....sure enough it's a long building. How are you going to handle the back side? The outside elevator is sure going to be an interesting detail.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  2:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Looking good Mike,
When I first saw your painted sides I thought it looked too long so I went back and looked at the prototypes's picture....sure enough it's a long building. How are you going to handle the back side? The outside elevator is sure going to be an interesting detail.

Bob,

I also have this picture: http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-10-19-14/C5270.jpg

It shows half of the back side. Where the adjacent building obscures the rest I made something up based on the other side. You can see what I did in the photo of the side I worked on yesterday and posted last night.

I'm looking forward to doing that elevator and have been collecting pictures for ideas how it might have looked.

I have three photos showing the narrow street side and have to decide which version to do. I think the earliest configuration had three widows on the second floor and two on the first flanking a central door

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  2:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realize that there were more suggesting the diamond plate decking, and although I was leaning more toward the diamond pale as well, I chose to go with the wooden deck for these reasons. First, there isn’t much deck showing to get a good effect of the diamond plate look, plus I’d have to order it and maybe never use it again. Second, I have all the strip wood in the world around here. And Third, I think for my logging Railroad, during that Era, the logging area back shops would have just taken an old flatcar and made up a quick Critter out of it. So here it be. I started with a scale 6”x6” beam forming the side sills and end sills, as seen in the Anatomy of a Flat Car pictures below. Of course on the prototype, the sills were joined together with mortise and tenon joinery, figure A. This is where a hole is created in the end sill (the mortise) and a tab is left on the other piece (the tenon). The tenon slides into the mortise and the two pieces are fastened together. On my model I just butt joint the two pieces together with glue. After these sills glue, then I’ll be turning over the Critter and laying the wooden decking.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  5:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Looking good Mike,

Bob,

I also have this picture: http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-10-19-14/C5270.jpg

It shows half of the back side. Where the adjacent building obscures the rest I made something up based on the other side. You can see what I did in the photo of the side I worked on yesterday and posted last night.

I'm looking forward to doing that elevator and have been collecting pictures for ideas how it might have looked.

I have three photos showing the narrow street side and have to decide which version to do. I think the earliest configuration had three widows on the second floor and two on the first flanking a central door

Mike

I see, what neat meat project! I like the bay window on the corner end. They must of had a retail outlet there.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  07:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

I agree, that display window is neat. Here is what I believe is an earlier photo:

I am probably going to do this earlier configuration to fit my period.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  08:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jefferson Depot walls ready for assembly:

(Only the left half of the scratch-built freight door will be visible, so I didn't bother to trim the right half.)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  08:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeff,

Looks great. Assembling the completed walls is a very satisfying step, at least I find it to be.

I have always liked the look of this depot.

Mike

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  10:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike. Indeed I'm looking forward to the next few steps.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Mr Skratch
New Hire

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  11:14:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mr Skratch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
getting ready to start/wrap up the window paint...with an airbrush...which I've never done before...lol

I received the airbrush a year ago and figured I should probably use the thing. we'll see how it goes.

The addition for "Baggits Bait Beer & Ammo" is attached - I've also started a test for shingle roofing - we'll go shingles on the top and either roll roofing or metal on the bottom.

I'm still deciding on how to base this.....

*Never let your current abilities limit your vision - Mr Skratch*
Jason D. Reece, AIA - Overland Park, KS.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  11:35:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

[quote]

Rich,

Your round garage looks like a very interesting build. It'll be interesting to see how you'll fit flat doors on a round building.

Bernd

“Hey fellas... thought I'd like to enter the "From Sketch to Scratch" section, by making a three - stall roundhouse. I got the idea to do this build as a storage for, not engines....but Jordan vehicles, like an old garage of sorts... , made from an old oil tank.”
Getting on with this build… I was talking with forum member, Bernd, about making him a roundhouse for his critter engines, and actually the idea for this build started out as a joke.
I had a paper tube from packaging tape laying on my desk at work, and I thought, “what can I make using this?” Then the idea came up…a small garage for Jordan’s!

I drew two doors on the paper tube. This tube is three inches in diameter and 1 7/8" in height, about 14 feet in HO scale. Perfect for my use.

I started by drawing a three inch circle on graph paper to get it into perspective.

Adding 2 x 8 lumber to the interior.

Interior with car inside.

Outside with starting the exterior wood 2 x 8 lumber.

This is where I am this morning with the exterior waiting for more lumber to be added. I will post again later this evening when the exterior is completed. Thanks for looking in...
Rich

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  11:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Nice idea Rich, different to say the least! They always say "never say it wasn't that way", because someone always finds one out there.

Thanks - Louis - I did a search on google images, and only one garage that was round showed up.
Thanks - Michael H. - Yes, I think it is unique too. This type of structure, round as it is, could be built using brick sheets for the exterior, or stone would be nice too.
Thanks - Greg - For your expert help and foresight
Thanks - Bernd - For pushing me onward and traversing the unknown!
Rich

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  12:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Rich, that is starting to look pretty good, and again the idea is great.
Down the street from me in Newport, RI is this tower structure. not a garage as I know, but built in the early years for whatever.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  12:19:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, you too, are building a fun and unique project.
Jeff, Very sharp, she's ready to be Squared in.
Mike, the last view looks earlier to me too. The window trim seems to painted white while the "later" photos seem to show a bluff color.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000