Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Traintinker ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks
Page: of 49

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  07:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Norman, thank you.

I enjoyed your new photos.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  10:34:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic modeling guys and gals!

Philip

Edited by - Philip on 03/10/2017 10:35:50 AM

David Clark
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  12:41:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hadn't checked in for a while but everyone's builds are looking great! Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Dave

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  1:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!!
First class models, each unique and well made.
Thanks for sharing your work.
Dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  1:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I got a little done. I cut out the interior walls for the guard shack portion of the shed. Here's a picture;

So you see I use copies of the kits template as patterns to cut out the window and door openings. The upper right wall is the interior dividing wall. I found a picture of the backside of a lath and plaster wall on the WEB and played with it in Gimp until I got something I can use. I left some the backing on this piece until I add the wall studs and then I will trim it off.

Now I will return to the instructions to continue this build until I need these pieces.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  6:35:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice, Bob. I like what you did with the lath and plaster.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  8:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The photo of the Swift meat packing plant shows a bin at one end, so of course it's a necessary detail:

No idea what it was used for. Maybe not something to think about too hard.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  11:38:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike and my curiosity is being checked by my hatred of the discussing so I don't want to know what's in the bin ether. I've toured a couple of meat plants in my time.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  2:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike - that could be an offal thing to think about. Did you use leftover bits and pieces to assemble it?

Galen

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  6:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It could be just a waste wood or garbage bin. Health regs would probably have something to say about throwing anything biological in there.

I finished my Gern Wholesaler today:

I added the roofing , some details and the 'Office' sign to it. If and when I add lighting I'll add some viewblocks to the interior.

The tar and gravel roof is Woodland Scenics fine gray ballast, held in place with white glue. The hatch came from DPM's modular roof kit and the other two vents were some 3/32" styrene tubing.
and when you do some kitbashing, there's always extra parts left over

I'll just stash those away for a future project.
Of course now that I have a Gern Facility, I'll need some transportation:

I have a pair of Magnuson 56' Ford tractor units in my collection. I'm trying to find a short trailer, like Athearn's 24', to add to it. I used to have some, but now I can't seem to find them

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  8:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,Galen, Glen, I agree, probably not biological. The bin is not small, roughly 6 - 7' wide, deep, and high. I think a coal bin in snowy New York State would be covered.

Glen. Your building's roof looks very nice.

Mike

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  10:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent modeling from everyone. Some great inspiration and ideas. Glen, I agree with Mike. That is one good looking roof!
Jeff

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  6:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still great work going on here. And I'm still picking up plenty of good ideas to help with my modelling.
I always get something useful out of the challenge's.

Glen, most impressed with you finished structure. Very realistic.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  6:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm almost done. The actual structure is now complete. Just need to add some roof top detail, and signage to finish it off.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  11:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, Rob, Great looking buildings'..Nice work'.
Mike, research is required to find out exactly what that box is for'..

Ted

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: Martins homegrown trees, bushes n weeds Topic Next Topic: Bleeker Street - the other side of the tracks  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000