Railroad Line Forums - The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 64 ]  [ Total: 70 ]  [ Newest Member: SanderR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2017 "Pick One, Build One" Challenge Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: São Martins de Rio Valbergue Topic Next Topic: 2017 Pick One - Build One Challenge Final Photos
Page: of 49

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  11:32:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm going to be following Louis' build closely. I've got one or two of those cable car/trolley car stashed somewhere. I've always like that two ended car critter.

Louis you might want to make sure to leave or find room for some weight for pick up quality. They those cars are kind of light.

Edited: Ok Louis, your project is so inspiring that I just ordered two of those car kits and I'm thinking my HOn3 (eventual) layout needs a critter. I've got enough HOn30 critters to last for a while.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 01/02/2017 11:50:02 AM

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  11:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, so many great ideas!!! I'm going to enjoy following this challenge.
Dave

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  12:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

I am building a late 19th Century meat packing plant:

My initial sketches:

I used Gimp to adjust perspective for getting measurements for my sketch. (See Bill Gill, I was paying attention when I saw your clinic last fall.) I also have additional views to work from.

Mike

Mike, I like that the windows are off set on the actual structure. That is a very cool old building. Going to be a terrific build'..

Ted

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  1:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeyjey

Great prototype building, Mike!

Cheers,
Jeff.

Jeff, Thanks.

The area I am modelling has a meat packing plant with almost the same dimensions as this one. Since they were built about the same time only a few miles apart it seems a natural stand-in.

Plus, I really like this sort of classic 19th century commercial building.

- Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  2:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Mike, I like that the windows are off set on the actual structure. That is a very cool old building. Going to be a terrific build'..

Ted,

I like that also. Didn't really notice until I had adjusted the perspective to draw plans. There are other little details and irregularities that will make this look more like a craftsman kit.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  3:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After mulling over how long I wanted the sides to be, I Chose to make the cuts at the center windows so I could make the critter long enough to include a decoder and needed weight, if wanted in the future. Below are pictures of the area where cuts are to be made, and where the cut sections will be spliced together, to form the needed sides for my version of the Railcar Critter. This my just all work out fine, as I think forward on the construction process, and what yet needs to be done.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  3:26:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wall bits in various stages of construction. From top:

1) 1x10 skirting board glued to cardstock backing
2) skirting board trimmed
3) 2x3 skirting board added, and diagonal 1x3s (note that they are oversized at this point)
4) 1x3s trimmed
5) 1x12 boards and 1x2 battens (note the battens stop short of the boards to allow for a subsequent trim piece)

The cardstock plus 1x12s is thinner than the milled clapboard siding. That's going to make bracing the walls more difficult, so I'm adding two layers of 167 gsm heavyweight paper to the back of the cardstock to bring it up to the same width. I've printed the second layer with some interior wainscotting from Clever Models. (I'm not normally a huge fan of trompe l'oeil, but I think it's fine for interiors viewed through windows.)

6) interior wainscotting
7) wainscotting glued to the upper clapboard walls, with some of the trim installed

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

Edited by - jeyjey on 01/02/2017 3:28:41 PM

mark_dalrymple
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  5:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Some interesting projects going on.

Michael - that's a lovely simple looking structure - but with some very subtly and neat details that will make it look very real and quite unique. The offset window, odd shaped sign on the roof, very short covered loading dock - will make it very much a one of a kind.

Louis - an interesting looking conversion you have going on there.

Jeff - the detail in your walls looks great.

Cheers, Mark.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  7:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark_dalrymple

The offset window, odd shaped sign on the roof, very short covered loading dock - will make it very much a one of a kind.

Cheers, Mark.

I was looking at that picture again. I don't think that car will fit under that overhang. Also looks like the tracks don't go that far either. I had to study the picture several times after you mentioned that loading dock.

Bernd

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/02/2017 :  8:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I committed myself a few weeks back so away we go.

I'm going to cover all four categories, believe it or not.

The full build thread is at:

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48346

I will post pictures in this thread as well.

I built one of at least two vehicle kits that will be on the square foot diorama yesterday while at the beach.

The kit is an O scale fish cart from Train Troll. It is one fine kit! Too bad that the cart will transport something far worse smelling than fish.

My larger kit build is a Sierra West Tool Shed and the scratch build is still top secret.

morten1996
New Hire

Posted - 01/03/2017 :  07:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit morten1996's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As mentioned, I'm in with a scratchbuilding project in 1/29.
Ingalls 4S, their sole entry into diesel-locomtive market in 1946, sold to GM&O (put into service as #1900) after a demonstration tour.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/29/Ingalls_4-S.jpg

Well, the project is not strictly scratchbuildiing since I use an Aristo-Craft FA as a donator of trucks and the basic shell (sub-)structure

Frame & shell has to be stretched by app. 2.5", the nose shortened, swivelled and slightly reshaped (similar proceeding on the pilot).
The distinctive turret cab will be scratchbuilt and jacked up in comparison to the current FA-shell. Roof will be removed and substituted with the unique monitor roof (will use a roof of an old Bachmann passenger coach). The rear end will receive a kind of a vestibule and steps similar to a passenger car and a deep rear pilot.
Have to admit to pass the requirement of making a sketch rather than enlarging the (HO-)diagram found in MR's diesel locomotive cyclopedia.
I'll do the late appearance of with the simplified paint scheme.

Regards
Norman

From the shop:
http://large-scaledieselmodels.blogspot.de/

Edited by - morten1996 on 01/03/2017 07:20:58 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2017 :  12:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are some great projects posted here already! I look forward to seeing them progress thru completion.

I made some progress on my first Challenge project - the Willy's Coupe made by Sylvan.

The actual assembly of these resin models is really quite easy. It is the painting and the addition of 'glass' windows that makes the model.

Steps one and two are complete. I washed the resin castings in warm water and dish washing liquid. After drying, I spray painted the model with 'rattle can' grey primer.

Once this cures for a day or two, I will begin the final painting.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

ocalicreek
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/03/2017 :  1:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am learning so much from this challenge already! Off to a fine start, everyone!

I may be changing from off-the-shelf to sketch-to-scratch. Found a building in Most Na Soci, Slovenia, that appears to be a wholesale warehouse. I will be compressing it and placing it on a diorama - larger than square foot. But if that goes well, there may be a vehicle build (delivery truck) in there, another couple scratch builds (duplexes across the street) and perhaps even a kit build. WE'LL SEE!

Galen

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2017 :  6:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You all are off to such a wonderful start.
I'm looking forward to seeing these builds.
Mike, I know where your Swift dealer can get some Award Winning Oregon Beef from.

This will be my contribution;

This is an excellent kit. I many of your eyes, I am going to ruin it. it was designed to heavily weathered with nails hoes, missing boards from the wall and other "backwoods" effects that are really inappropriate for my little bt classy and well endowed railroad of the the 1880's. Neither will the building take the layout as laid out by George for this kit. The sand house will have the wood rack as is neighbor where the tool house is called for. The tool house will go else where in the yard. The sheds will end up in somebodies back yard in Millers Slough. The coal house crane being used some place appropriate yet to be determined. Like engines, we never have enough cranes.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/03/2017 :  7:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Yes, I will need a source for the beef, and Oregon seems a good one. Can I get some smoked? They smoke a lot of stuff in Oregon now.

Looks like you are going to deconstruct an FSM kit. Sounds like fun.

Mike

Page: of 49 Previous Topic: São Martins de Rio Valbergue Topic Next Topic: 2017 Pick One - Build One Challenge Final Photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000