Railroad Line Forums - SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 78 ]  [ Total: 84 ]  [ Newest Member: Deano ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: building permits Topic Next Topic: Silver plume store in HO
Page: of 20

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  7:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, the boarded up windows are excellent and add a unique look'..Great job'.

Ted in South Western, Connecticut

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  8:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Tony, the boarded up windows are excellent and add a unique look'..Great job'.

Thank you Ted. I wanted to step out of the box on this one. Glad you like what I came up with.

Now, for tonight's endeavor, I added the trim to the roof line.

First off, I painted the separate parts, a green from Reaper paints for the background on the squares, and a blue/grey from a craft paint on the rest. They did go together pretty easily, once I figured the sequence, but one thing I didn't get from reading the instructions, was to make the cove molding and 2x6 stripwood longer. They said there was plenty of length for trimming the angles, so I assumed wrongly that there was no need to make the other two pieces longer. An 1/8" would be all that was needed.

Anyway, I wanted to make some nice tight joints, so the 45 degree corners were easy, I set up my 'Woodpeckers' 45 degree angle gauge on my tru-sander to sand down the angles on 3 pieces.

The next step I took was to work out the angles needed for the other non-45 degree angles. I used the roof as a template:

The next angle I was doing was actually 71 degrees, or 19 degrees off the 90. I set my craftsman protractor to 19 degrees, and drew a line off one side of the roof 'template', moved the arm to the opposite side of the 90 to 19 degrees, and checked it off the other face, this ensured I had the right angle. As you can see, I made a mistake the first couple of times until I figured it out.

Then I set the protractor on my tru-sander and sanded the molding off the arm the same way.

To be safe, I made a test sanding on a piece of discarded plywood from the kit, then checked it to the roof template.

This shot shows the same sanding technique:

Here is a shot of me adding the first molding to the building, and checking for square on the back side:

Doing the other corners the same way, I ended up with some nice tight corners.

And the finished results, but I still have to clean up the outside corners a bit. A minor touch-up.

I hope this has been helpful to those attempting the same problems, with this kit, or any other build with odd angles.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2017 :  11:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Thank you for the information on paint colors. Also, the tutorial on angles.

You did a great job varying the windows.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  03:59:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

Thank you for the information on paint colors. Also, the tutorial on angles.

You did a great job varying the windows.

Mike

Thank you Mike. And your welcome.

Tony Burgess

jeyjey
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  05:34:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tony,

The differently-boarded-up windows do a wonderful job of giving the building a history.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Modelling the D&RGW and C&S in HOn3.

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  09:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Nice tight joints Tony. Your efforts are worth it...

Bob

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  10:57:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is such a nice build I thought I would try to buy the kit. No luck. I wrote Bar Mills and they no longer produce the kit and don't plan to make any in the future either. Tried e-Bay and Amazon but no luck...

Bob

Jeff Compton
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  4:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
I was out of town for a long weekend but now I can reply. I used a rattle can grey to prime and Apple Barrel's Sandstone craft paint for the walls, applied with an old sock. I love the pipe and am taking notes on things I can use for future builds. You are doing some amazing work and are really making your Sokol's a unique structure.
Jeff

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  4:31:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeyjey

Hi Tony,

The differently-boarded-up windows do a wonderful job of giving the building a history.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Thanks Jeff, that's exactly the look I am after. I like to think of my buildings as having several owners or one owner who due to hard times, hasn't had the cash to keep up with repairs.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  4:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by time2play

This is such a nice build I thought I would try to buy the kit. No luck. I wrote Bar Mills and they no longer produce the kit and don't plan to make any in the future either. Tried e-Bay and Amazon but no luck...

Bob

Thank you Bob. Too bad you couldn't find one. If you keep looking from time to time, one will turn up. Often when I go to eBay, I click on the "follow this search" button, and they send you emails when something comes up. Good luck.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  4:37:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doing a search in eBay, I found this historic photo. There were 2 Sokol's furniture and/or mattress companies. Nothing too spectacular, but they did exist. Here is one.

Tony Burgess

Edited by - Nelson458 on 01/30/2017 4:40:33 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  6:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Yours doesn't look at all like the photo. Maybe next time you'd better follow the instructions.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2017 :  7:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,
Just checking in on you again. Beautiful detail work, as echoed. by others.
Rich

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  04:07:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

Yours doesn't look at all like the photo. Maybe next time you'd better follow the instructions.

Mike

What instructions? I just look at the pictures.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  04:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Tony,
Just checking in on you again. Beautiful detail work, as echoed. by others.
Rich

Thanks Rich.

Tony Burgess

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: building permits Topic Next Topic: Silver plume store in HO  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000