Railroad Line Forums - SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: LongHornCaddy2 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SOKOL'S from Bar Mills
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: building permits Topic Next Topic: Fire-Damaged Engine House
Page: of 20

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  4:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said on face; That's a great wagon.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2017 :  3:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, thank you.

Sorry I haven't had the time to post anything, after working in the yard when I get some time, I' beat. But I took a couple of days off, and had some time to catch up. So here are some pictures of the "getting closer to complete" model.

Up first is the SOKOLS sign. The one supplied with the kit, and there's nothing wrong with it, is just too small for where it would have gone, at least now. So I remembered I had some lettering I salvaged from an office clear-out some 20 years ago. (I knew I would use them some day)

But I wanted your opinion too. The supplied sign I think I will use it on the side of the building, around the right side where the 2 other large bay doors are located. The larger one I am thinking of will be made to fit on the roof, either behind the large shed, or off the side on the roof over the opposite side of the smaller one.

Thoughts?

The next set of pictures show what I have done so far. I still have the overhanging covers to add (and the sign) and more detail both to the ground cover, and some trucks and people.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  4:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was getting ready to add the overhang supports, only to find that the outside supports are open, the center ones are solid. My thought is: If they are cutting the frames, why not do them all, how much more time could it take?

So in the end, I decided to make my own, but I also made them larger and change the design slightly, doing so also made it easier to construct. The part that fits in the wall is 1/16" square stripwood, the rest is 3x6 and some 1x4 stripwood.

The remaining smaller overhangs were left as is, and there were 10 slots for the remaining 3 overhangs, but only 9 open frame pieces, with several solid ones. Well, I didn't want to make just one, so I had to use a solid one over the rear door. Again, why not just make one more of them open??? No sense!

This shot shows how much more overhang these supports give. The ones in the kit came about 1/8" short of the docks edge.

Tony Burgess

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  6:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why indeed? Your supports are mush better.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  7:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, I like your sign better for the spot you have in mind'
Your supports are better also'...Kit builders love short cuts'..
Who lives in the cottage on the roof???? Your cobble stone path
is excellent'..

Ted

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  7:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

You're overthinking the overhang thing. Just follow the instructions. What's wrong with you? So what if it doesn't make sense?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  6:02:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, thanks, I think so too.

Ted, thank you. The sign will be about the same size, but I have ordered better looking letters. They are laser cut wood letters, and I only ordered the 6 letters I need. The shipping cost 2 times the cost of the letters! It is what it is...and as for the cottage, last time I checked, it was the gardener. But he doesn't make it down all that much.

Mike, what can I say? Life sometimes doesn't make sense. Each kit has a new set of surprises as to what is in them or not. It's all in what you make of them. (And yes, I know your trying to make me laugh, ok, you succeeded)

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  2:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I received some letters I ordered, a few days ago. Only needed 6. They are 1/2" high, and seemed just the right size for what I wanted. I also put the sign on the front of the building, and not the back as the kit would have you do. I got these letters because the original sign was really too small. I also added some lights, a footboard and a couple of cats and a few birds. There is a St. Bernard on the ground keeping an eye on the cats.

Thought for Today: A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Tony Burgess

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  7:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

That's fantastic Tony. It's always a treat watching your builds...

Bob

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  8:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by time2play

That's fantastic Tony. It's always a treat watching your builds...

Bob

Thank you Bob. That means a lot to me.

Tony Burgess

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  8:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Very impressive. I particularly like the ladder and animal life.

You're having having a lot of fun with this kit, aren't you? Of course, you always seem to enjoy doing the details.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  08:18:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well done Tony.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  4:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

Very impressive. I particularly like the ladder and animal life.

You're having having a lot of fun with this kit, aren't you? Of course, you always seem to enjoy doing the details.

Mike

Thanks Mike, yes, I am having fun, but at this point, so close to the end, I usually want to get it finished, and that is my downfall, as I often skip some details, and never get back to it. But yes, I do enjoy that part.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  4:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Well done Tony.

Thank you Carl. Appreciate that. When I get it finished, I'll take it outside in some shady sun and get a few good pictures. These last few days have been extremely windy. Not good for model photography.

Tony Burgess

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 04/22/2017 :  5:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am putting together an Autocar chassis and will add my own bed later, to be used on Sokol's as the plumber, needing to fix the outside leaky pipe. I bought this kit off eBay many years ago, possibly cheap, as it had already been started, but the guy didn't deburr his parts before gluing, and looked pretty bad, so I had to "unglue" the parts, file the them down and re-assemble. So far so good, except, the cab seemed a bit short. My other kits from SSLtd has similar sized cabs, but not a one piece casting. So to match the drawing, I added some .03 x .06" styrene to the bottom. I have these painted now, a field green, and am waiting for them to dry.

Tony Burgess

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: building permits Topic Next Topic: Fire-Damaged Engine House  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000