Railroad Line Forums - All Nation C&O Hopper
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: buc45 ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 All Nation C&O Hopper
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: More Traction Freight Trailers... Topic Next Topic: Ambroiding along....
Page: of 3

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  12:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I survived another adventure....

I managed to get the sides and ends together patching the broken side together 1st with a bit of Goo mixed with CA. That let me add the base casing sliding it up into place, but it was too narrow; widened it a bit with some styrene so that it fit snug -- more Goo and CA, followed by a healthy bead of JB Weld. Added the slope sheets made from some sheet styrene; ugly work, but I had already decided a load was getting installed no matter what over this interior. Added the remaining bits, a few healthy coats of black paint, some gloss, a set of decals, some dull, and then trucks and couplers - the drilling and tapping the latter was annoying since it was soft metal and then Zamac.

And now that it's done, not doing one these again!

Oh, and those shiny spots that look like paint if missing are just that - shiny spots the way the light bounced about the room apparently - when I first saw the picture on the computer I went back into my shop thinking I missed something and had to touch up the paint - wrong...

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  1:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It turned out nice, Martin. Tell me more about this Goo and CA mix? How much do you mix and what's the purpose of it?

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  4:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that is quite a save, Martin!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  5:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice save! I wiuld nit have guessed the car was made from those parts on page 1.

Chuck

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  5:46:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

It turned out nice, Martin. Tell me more about this Goo and CA mix? How much do you mix and what's the purpose of it?

Ok, it's best used with mixed materials like a white metal casting onto end grain of wood. Nothing works well when end grain of wood is involved. A smear of Goo on the porous surface and a bit of CA on the non-porous surface; put them together and you have maybe 10-15 secs before you need a scalpel or saw to get them apart - not forgiving. I use the combination quite a lot - most find Goo a problem to use and it needs a steady gentle hand to control it. I have micro tips for the CA so I have good control on that side, too.

You get a sort of instant contact cement and it's quite resilient. Been using it for several years.

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  5:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bruce & Chuck!

One thing for sure, it weighs what those parts weighed!

Way beyond NMRA standards,

But, it served its purpose - I got my fun assembling it.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  6:15:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another great build Martin'..As you are aware'
I really like your cars'..Nice work with this All Nation beauty'..

Ted

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  6:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Martin,

Sounds like you put all your skills to work on this one. It turned out really nice.

I think we all need to be sending you our basket cases. What do you say?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  8:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Martin,

Sounds like you put all your skills to work on this one. It turned out really nice.

I think we all need to be sending you our basket cases. What do you say?

Mike

Ok. Nothing smaller than O scale and I'll put them into the queue; should get to them in 10-12 years.....and of course at my full hourly rate,

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2016 :  8:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good save!

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/19/2016 :  09:33:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info on the Goo-CA.

George

CavalryTrooper25
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  5:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a prime candidate for a build job, that you don't bother to repair the cracks, etc, and make it look like it is what is left of a hopper after a wreck, and it, being a foreign road's car, is sitting by the roundhouse, or car shops, waiting for the owner to decide what they want to do about it.

IE, will they pay your railroad to fix it, will they pay to have it return shipped (on a flat car) to them for repair. Will the just write it off, and have you scrap it.......what?

Just an idea for a little scene on your layout.

Horse

CavalryTrooper25
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  5:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Never mind.

Horse

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  5:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CavalryTrooper25

Looks like a prime candidate for a build job, that you don't bother to repair the cracks, etc, and make it look like it is what is left of a hopper after a wreck, and it, being a foreign road's car, is sitting by the roundhouse, or car shops, waiting for the owner to decide what they want to do about it.

IE, will they pay your railroad to fix it, will they pay to have it return shipped (on a flat car) to them for repair. Will the just write it off, and have you scrap it.......what?

Just an idea for a little scene on your layout.

Good ideas!

I thought about getting a 2nd one of these kits last weekend while I was at the big O scale meet in Chicago; there was another of these kits but the zamac castings were far worse and decided not to bother.

Terrell
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  7:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice recovery, Martin.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: More Traction Freight Trailers... Topic Next Topic: Ambroiding along....  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000