Railroad Line Forums - G for Garganchua Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 G for Garganchua Scale
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Layout DEAD RIVER LUMBER Co
Page: of 17

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/26/2017 :  11:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,
I found some 3" scale rail in Oxnard CA. It is 1 1/2" tall. Perfect height. For testing I will just use wood until I can save up enough for the rail. I was going to use steel bar stock thinking it would be cheaper but the price is about the same as the aluminum rail.

Ok now for a public service announcement. MAKE SURE YOU ARE HOLDING TIGHT TO THE GRINDER WHEN TURNING IT ON!!!!......ooops, almost a Hara Kiri.

I have pretty much finished the cutting and welding for a bit. Last metal project for the engine will be the johnson bar. Remember the flywheel ring gear earlier? with a little cutting, bending, welding and JB welding I have a johnson bar. I mocked it up on scrap wood. I will be wiring and hiding micro switches for the forward and reverse switches. The knob is form a crank for something. Used one on the throttle also.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 02/27/2017 :  11:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mr. Johnson would be proud!

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  5:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Went out in the garage AKA Bill's Creative lab, to figure out how to do the tender flare. While looking at the tender something was bugging me. I went back to the drawing and realized that I had made the tender 1 inch too tall. You might say, Really? Yes it's one of those things that bug me like crocked pictures. For some reason I have a built in level and size perspective. I measured the picture and didn't take into account the base and subtract it. Well that put a damper on the evening. As I pondered how I was going to take an inch off without screwing up the level and the corners I decided I would use a level as a guide for the saw. It worked great until I got to corners were the old hand saw came out to finish. Problem solved now back to the flare. I decided to use Oak because of its strong qualities. I am going to cover with fiberglass anyway so it didn't matter about the grain. I found some 1/4" oak strips at Lowe's. First I placed a piece of 1/4 ply on the top leaving it a little long on the edges that didn't have the flare. Where the flare was going the board is in a 1/4" I glued and pin nailed (my new favorite tool) the flare at an angle using angled blocks of wood to make sure they were all the same. What to do with the corners. I was thinking of making a pattern with paper then using several layers of plastic. Then it hit me, why not make them out of resin. I found a sewing cutting pad my wife had, she won't know, What do you think?

I cut it to wrap around both inner and outer sides of the curve. Mixed up some resin and poured. What the hech, the resin is disappearing. Oh crap forgot to seal it up really good at the bottom. As I watched the resin disappear I could only imagine where it was going. finally it set enough to stop on the bottom so I finished topping it off. Once dry I went looking for the resin. It had puddled in the corner at the bottom attaching the tender to the floor. Man that stuff really sticks to wood when you don't want it. I finally got it free what a mess. On the next one I sealed up really good with hot glue, no problems. Still need to sand them off but pretty good results.

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 02/28/2017 5:37:13 PM

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/28/2017 :  10:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pure genius! I think you nailed it. Or should I say 'glued it'? Either way, it looks great.

As for the few boo-boo's, at least we know your human and make mistakes now and then!

Mark

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  07:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This was both outstanding and quite disappointing.

Your work is most outstanding as usual.

What was disappointing was that I was expecting you to say something like
"the resin ran out and puddled on the floor and it looks just like an engine part I need".

Cheers,

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Edited by - sgtbob on 03/01/2017 07:09:36 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  08:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You seem to have a flair for this sort of thing.

I enjoy watching you come up with solutions.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  09:24:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Necessity is your mother's invention. Or something like that.
Nice!

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  4:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgtbob

This was both outstanding and quite disappointing.
What was disappointing was that I was expecting you to say something like
"the resin ran out and puddled on the floor and it looks just like an engine part I need".

Now that would be funny, LOL. It is still there, who knows if I pull it out what it might be

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/01/2017 :  7:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wanted to get an idea as to where this project is headed so I went back to page 1. In somewhat disbelief I noticed the front and rear locomotive wheels weren't even connected with a side rod.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  3:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man Frank can't keep anything from you! Lol. Yes the front wheels just roll along, another weird trate to this loco. However all is not lost. I have rods to put on eventually. We are thinking of displaying at Walt's Barn in Griffith Park Los Angeles this summer. Don't want to stray to far from the real one for the Disney freaks. after that I will make the need changes to make it more believable, weights and rods. They don't even have a water hatch, mine will.

http://www.carolwood.org/barn.html

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  3:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well not much fun stuff to report this time unless you think of wiring as fun. Finished the locomotive electrical. Sound, wiring, voltage regulators, relays and sensors. And with a little bit of thought and magic, steam cocks that dump steam along with synced sound and a simplified smoke puff out of the stack. It was late at night with garage door closed, couldn't see anything but smoke. I'll post a video once I finished painting the cab and frame and it's all put back together. oh and there is a red blinking light in the gauge that tells me when the smoke fluid is low

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  5:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, looks UL approved to me. All fired up and no place to go!

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  1:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa, he's not only a mechanical genius, but an electronics wizard too? And what is that, a real fire in the fire box??? Looks good!

Mark

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/22/2017 :  10:34:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The garage is now a paint shop. The two things I really hate, body work and weight loss.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 03/23/2017 :  09:11:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ohhh, I like that insulated garage door.

Page: of 17 Topic Next Topic: Layout DEAD RIVER LUMBER Co  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000