Railroad Line Forums - G for Garganchua Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: dancemark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Large Scale Model Railroad Forum
 G for Garganchua Scale
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Saw Mill Project
Page: of 20

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/01/2016 :  11:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I realize that this is probably not the place to post this however, it is a model train build just not your typical large scale build. I haven't posted in a while due to the fact that I now have three grand daughters all born in the past year. The oldest now 1 loves to ride the Thomas the tank engine ride on train. If any of you are not familiar with this it is all plastic and runs around a circle of track powered by a motor the size of one in some of my F scale engines. Anyway I was working in my office when I looked over at the shelf and saw my Disney model of the Natures Wonderland engine display. Then it hit me, I could make that, it's a very simple design and I could build it like the original that was powered by the tender. My son has a huge and I mean HUGE back yard so he and his brothers and I decided we would build a ride on train for the kids. Something a little more realistic. Not being able to build a live steam (as of yet)this will be made with odds and ends readily available. Might need a little machining but very little. Will need to be fairly light unlike a real one to be able to be pushed and pull one car. Most construction will be of wood, cardboard tubes misc things that I can find to give the impression of a real little engine.
I started searching the internet and found a guy that had built something similar but kind of stopped when he got to the wheels. He had some great ideas so I will probably use some in the building of mine.
Here is a picture of the loco I am going to build. This will take awhile but I promise I'll post as fast as I come up with parts and pieces as I go.

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  12:09:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  10:45:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be interesting to follow! Please take lots of pictures of your build as I'm interested in seeing what you do.

Mark

Dave Silvernail
Section Hand

Posted - 10/02/2016 :  11:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, what gauge track are you planning for this endeavor?

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  1:20:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave,
I am going to use 15 in gauge for the track.
Now a question, what does a cup holder, cardboard tube, three brass screws, a copper and brass fitting, clear plastic, a ice cream jar and a printed piece of photo paper have in common? any one?

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/08/2016 :  1:45:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No steam engine is complete without a pressure gauge.

Next question, what does several No parking signs, mat board, an 8 oz mixing bowl, misc plastic junk, a key, and clear plexiglas have in common? Just wait and see.

Dave Silvernail
Section Hand

Posted - 10/09/2016 :  12:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I can see you are having way too much fun with this build. Dave.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  01:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I got to the photo of the gauge, I thought it was the real thing! I had to scroll back and look at the first photo again. Amazing work!

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  6:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ray, Ok now to the answer of the last question.The answer is a head light. being the obsessive compulsive person I am, I didn't take pics while I was building it. However it was pretty simple. It's just a box with a hole in it and a fancy top. I started with some 1/8 inch thick mat board. The ideas was to make a mock up then build with wood. Once I had the mock up I decided it would be just as good if I veneered plastic to it. Turned out to be lite but extremely strong. With some UV paint I think it will be just fine.

I found a miniature hurricane lamp that I will modify for use as the light. It's coming later this week.

Edited by - Mudhenbill on 10/12/2016 12:30:12 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  7:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does your wife know you invaded her kitchen and made off with one of her mixing bowls?

Mudhenbill
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  12:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mudhenbill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shhhhhhhh, it's a secret. Besides she has plenty more. I give it at least a month before she figures it out

Guff
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  09:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work...I am impressed with your ingenuity!
Dave

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  3:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very cool stuff! I do love the mixing bowl headlight! It looks awesome!

Mark

Dave Silvernail
Section Hand

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  6:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, how are you planning to power this engine?

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 10/12/2016 :  11:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, that headlight looks great!

This is for a ride-on train for kids, correct? I'm wondering how well these materials (mat board, etc) will hold up to that kind of use? Kids can be pretty rough.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/13/2016 :  06:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit sgtbob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fantastic modeling and use of "found" objects. They look great but are they kid-proof?

I'm following along with great interest.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102&whichpage=1
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38921
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45371
http://www.freewebs.com/santmod/

Page: of 20 Topic Next Topic: Saw Mill Project  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000