Railroad Line Forums - HO scale rolling stock by Bill Gill
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 HO scale rolling stock by Bill Gill
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Safety chain on trucks Topic Next Topic: Have you tried any of the peeling paint techniques
Page: of 19

NP2626
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  07:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found empty flat cars to be difficult to add weight to. In particular the Central Valley Model Works 41 foot N.P. flat cars. A weight is not supplied; so, I ended up gluing a bunch of solder to the underside. Anyone have a better idea? Yes, loads would work; but, I want a couple of flat car empties to run. Sorry, couldn't come up with a pun!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  08:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NP2626, puns not required :) Your solder solution is one that others also have had success with, along with buckshot and similar weights. I have read of some cases where over time people have had problems with lead shot corroding or otherwise reacting with the glue used (water based) that caused problems. I tend to use just the steel weights that come with a kit, or if nothing is supplied, cutting one from discarded rolling stock. My layout is tiny, the trains are very short and slow. So far haven't had problems running heavier and lighter cars mixed together. Occasionally a train might be put together with the lighter cars at the rear, but not that often.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  08:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My try upgrading a factory painted Athearn bluebox boxcar as per articles by Jeff English and others in MR and other magazines. Details included new running board, door and door guides, grab irons, corner steps and brake details. The ladders were not replaced.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  09:15:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

That's a very effective upgrade. Your subtle weathering enhanced your model as well.

You've made a blue ribbon from a blue box.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  2:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Extremely realistic coloring on the car Bill'.
Blue Ribbon indeed'...

Ted

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  3:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike & Ted. I'd been given to believe that at some point all model railroaders (at least in HO scale) get the call to detail an Athearn bluebox boxcar. After years of this one whispering from its box buried on a shelf, there may some truth to that :)

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  6:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very effective upgrade of a blue box kit. Nice weathering too.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  7:08:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

I think I have one or two blue box kits I bought for conversions. I also have an MDC 50' boxcar that I started to modify; got as far as removing molded-on grabirons and stalled. That project is not whispering, it's more like calling out loudly. Then there's the Tichy boxcar, built, but needing paint for about 25 years, the F&C gondola needing to be completed, a couple of 28' boxcars painted but needing lettering. All of them calling out for attention.

It's like an Unfinished Symphony.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  11:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work on the boxcar. Your shading makes it look like the ladder is a separate piece in the photo.
I recently upgraded a BB reefer with the same upgrades but added new Canadian style ladders with attached Scripps.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  2:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike & Glenn. Glenn, the "shading" you see is really the harsh shadow from the sunlight, but even on the layout its is difficult to notice the ladder is molded in place.

By the way, Mike, these cars being posted every couple days are not being cranked out like an assembly line. They have been done, or nearly done, for a while and posted here to keep them altogether.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 07/31/2016 2:13:42 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  2:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This Ertl car was found on the clearance table at a hobby shop a few years ago. The only thing done to this double sheathed boxcar was to weather it to tone down the heavy duty tan factory weathering sprayed on the underside and a bit along the sill. This car has a removable roof. It also has doors that open. Simply lifting off the roof, or leaving the doors open and stacking short “logs” in the opening can quickly convert this boxcar into another version of a pulpwood carrying car for my layout, something to consider after the two black pulpwood cars are finished.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  7:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice find.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/31/2016 :  7:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice find, nice job, Bill!

Pete
in Michigan

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  07:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Frank and Pete

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2016 :  07:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In contrast to the MP boxcar above, the similar color of maroon paint on these B&M milk cars is much cleaner. These were detailed from Accurail reefer kits to approximate B&M milk cars in its 1800 series. Changes include: removing ice hatches and ribs from the roof, thinning the running board. Adding fascia strips on all sides below the edge of the roof, wire grab irons, Tichy corner and center steps. Frosted Mylar drafting film was used for the steel reinforcing straps on the ends (a short one is just visible on the left corner, above and left of the upper reporting markers stripe. The longer one is just below the lower grab and bottom reporting stripe), Leaf spring trucks, jack pads and conjectural brake details.

B&M milk car 1854 was the first piece of rolling stock I detailed for the NEB&W layout.

I liked it enough that I built 1852 for my layout.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 08/01/2016 07:49:03 AM

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Safety chain on trucks Topic Next Topic: Have you tried any of the peeling paint techniques  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000