Railroad Line Forums - Paint...again.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 201 ]  [ Total: 202 ]  [ Newest Member: CSX4423 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Paint...again.
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 3-D Background Tenements Topic Next Topic: Ferrocarriles Mexicanos con Miles y Tom
Page: of 2

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/26/2016 :  12:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Years ago, building my 1st few FSM kits was my intro to detail part painting, among other things. I didn't prime the castings, just cleaned any flash and seams, then washed them good and let them dry.

Painting was not really a chore. Decide what lighter color to start with, open a well stirred bottle of Floquil, paint whatever called for that color, when done, close the bottle, and grab the next color. Paint straight from the bottle. I may have had some non Floquil paints on hand, but really don't remember using much of anything but the Floquil. Didn't have a pallet out, unless I was going to mix something. A couple of bottles of thinner handy for brush cleaning. That was basically it. Seemed so simple.

Now, in the past couple of years, coming back 1st to HO structure building, then a short foray into military models, and now back to structures, I have a good size, odd mix of all sorts of paints, ranging from a few tubes of oil based and water based artist paint, paints from different mfrs in the Vallejo type eyedropper bottles, up to craft paints. have distilled water, windshield washer fluid, plain water, in containers. Need to have pallets or small containers to dispense paint into, etc..

So...Is there a line of paints that would allow working like one did with the Floquil? Anyone used the Tru-Color line, or the new Scalecoat from Minute Man models?

Am I just wishful thinking?? LOL

Jim F

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/26/2016 :  1:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tru-Color does not brush well, although I understand you can special-order brushable paints. Scalecoat works a lot like the old Floquil, but is still a bit thin (for my preference) for brushing.

It's really best to prime (airbrush or spray can) before applying today's paints. None seem to cover as well as old-fashioned Floquil, and more importantly none seem to be as durable as old-fashioned Floquil (before Testors/RPM changed the formulation in response to environmental laws.)

These days I'm mostly using acrylics, including Vallejo and artist colors (Golden's Fluid Acrylics are particularly nice to work with.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

dougcoffey1950
Fireman

Posted - 06/26/2016 :  2:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit dougcoffey1950's Homepage  Send dougcoffey1950 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I sympathize Jim. I've just about lost all interest in model building without Floquil.

http://www.dougcoffey.com/html/model_railroad.html

LaRueD
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/26/2016 :  2:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Concur, Vallejo ...

Delbert

Edited by - LaRueD on 06/26/2016 2:58:30 PM

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/26/2016 :  3:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vallejo, similar brands, even the craft paints are all excellent products. But none do the job quite like the old Floquil line.

And it's as much ease of use, for me. A few good brushes, a couple of small jars of thinner for cleaning (and thinning, if needed) and the bottle of paint. Excellent coverage with one coat, usually.

No having to have palettes, several liquids for thinning, different brushes for different paints.

Oh well, so much for new and improved changes.

Jim F

SteveCuster
Section Hand

Posted - 06/26/2016 :  4:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been using the Reaper Miniatures set from SierraWest. Its water based but still has decent coverage, it comes with all the normal railroad colors and they match pretty close to the floquil/pollyS line. I also pick up some of the Apple Barrel craft paints whenever I go to Walmart, they are $1 s bottle.

-Steve

Neil M
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/27/2016 :  07:19:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about Humbrol? They don't do the railroad specific colours but are spirit based enamels so will cover well over everything. The gloss paints take a while to dry but the matt paints flash of quite fast. Unfortunately the white spirit solvent is smelly and a paint to clean up with!

I know your frustrations with the current crop of paint manufacturers. I used to use Humbrol and then switched to Polly S (acrylic and excellent for painting over bare plastic and the rest) but they stopped producing. Moving on to Vallejo I find that the paints do not stick as well or are as durable. The colours are finished can be great but it frustrates me when the paint gets scratched easily so now I frequently use Tamiya for the base colours and Vallejo for detail painting.

Built a waterfront HO layout in Ireland http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22161 but now making a start in On30 in Australia http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52273

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/27/2016 :  08:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, I looked at the SW set of Reaper paints, but decided I didn't want to but a whole set, mainly to get the 12 exclusive colors. I couldn't find a listing of all the colors, but from pictures, I would guess I have many of the non exclusive colors already, from other brands.

Neil, I have used Humbrol enamels in the past, liked them almost as much as Floquil. Problem is, you can't get them in the US any longer. Just the acrylic line, from what I have read.

Regarding the Vallejo (and similar), military modellers love them, but I have read wargaming folks are not as enthused, for the reason Neil mentions, durability.

Dave, if my memory is working right, at the moment, I seem to recall that I was able to use Floquil straight from the bottle in a old airbrush I had, years ago. If so, then Tru-Color really doesn't fit the bill, if one has to have both airbrush ready and brush-able bottles of the same colors.

Jim F

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/27/2016 :  4:19:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always had to thin Floquil for an airbrush, 30% thinner, 5% glaze.

dave

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 06/27/2016 :  6:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For my stuff.... I find I can cover most with rattle can auto primers, and I get the rest with craft paints I blend myself.

Jeff G
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/27/2016 :  6:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Model Railroad Hobbyist just released a PDF paint alternative chart for Floquil and Polly S. Worth checking out.

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  05:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your pallet of paints sounds like mine. But my favorite is Vallejo, mainly because I like they will paint on styrene, where others won't (not counting Floquil which I have not used in years). As for Reaper Miniatures, I have bought the entire set of Master Series HD Colors Paint Set which has 54 paints, and a case, for $130 on eBay. I don't think the 12 from Sierra West are special or different, most of us probably have them, but I did ask him if he could sell those 12 separately. I haven't used the set yet, but I am thinking they are a thicker paint which would be ideal for brush painting.

Another medium I 'paint' with is artists soft pastels. I scrape some off the stick, and use some alcohol as the binder (?) to paint with. An excellent way to color almost anything, especially wood.

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  07:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony, if if weren't for the fact that painting is my least fav hobby activity, I would most likely be more inclined to try all sorts of different techniques. But if I could trade getting a root canal done for someone, in exchange for them doing my painting, I would LOL

My dislike is also a good part of my missing the ease of the Floquil paints, as it at least simplified that aspect of modeling, for me.

Dave, you are right, it wasn't Floquil I airbrushed straight fom the bottle, now I recall, as I didn't have a airbrush back then. Might have been Modelflex, when it 1st came out, but no matter, as I hardly ever airbrush. If fact, I have a Aztek 470 that wife bought me years ago, never been used.

Jim F

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  08:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like trying out new things, but the first thing I discovered with acrylics is that I probanbly need a new air brush compressor. Mine is old and wimpy. So, I stick with ScaleCoat and my remaining supply of Floquil.

I've actually had pretty good results with rattle cans, much to my surprise. Let's just say I can screw up with an airbrush as easily as I can with a spray can. As with everything, practice is the key.

Unfortunately I've also had a lot of practice with root canals.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  09:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slightly off-topic: I've owned a half-dozen airbrushes, and currently have 3, two Iwata good quality airbrushes and a $49 job I got from TCPGlobal on eBay. But my favorite investment is a good quality, quiet, compressor. I have a Scorpion II (http://www.silentaire.com/silentaire/scorpion.asp) which is quiet enough that I can use it in my train room while my wife watches TV around the corner. Mostly I'm 'priming' with the airbrush or doing overall base coats, and the $49 airbrush works fine for that. I also have a good and relatively quiet spray booth.

dave

JimF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/28/2016 :  10:59:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I figured I would have to buy a airbrush at some point, I always seemed to find other things to buy, when I would have the cash needed, so kept putting it off. My wife bought it for me one birthday, after remembering me not long before mumbling again "I'll get it another time". She bought the Aztek on the recommendation of my friend who has one, and loves it. He does quite a bit of painting.

For a compressor, I have a Bosch unit, that came with some air tools. Bought for some home rework projects. I bought a small portable spray booth, quiet and is collapsible for storage. have used that quite a bit, for my rattle can priming work.

Jim F

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: 3-D Background Tenements Topic Next Topic: Ferrocarriles Mexicanos con Miles y Tom  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000