Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 195 ]  [ Total: 197 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Sliding door reefers? Topic Next Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks
Page: of 68

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  05:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Do you have a picture of what you have in mind?

Do you want small and simple?

Are you looking for a kit that could be cut down for some of your towns?

Mike

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  08:48:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike!

Thanks for your input. I was hoping those that have built far more Link n' Pin structures than I have would weigh in. You ask some interesting questions.

Pictures:

I think have some pictures somewhere on my hard drives that may help to illustrate. Later on (see below) I'll see what I can dig up.

Small and simple:

Yes, I think the depots would need to be wooden and simple (not ornate, or brick, as could be the case back east), but I'm not too sure how small "small" needs to be. Again, hopefully I can turn up some pics already on my hard drives. IF I have to scan, the resultant pics will suck big time. My "new" scanner is awful. Far less than my worn scanner it replaced.

Kits:

I don't mind kit-bashing in order to get what I need. Could be that some of the surplus depot kits I have on hand from my ill-fated Ozark layout "dual era" concept could be pressed into use via kit bashing? Hm.

Plan of attack:

I have a bunch of "yard work" piddly to get accomplished today, but perhaps after that's behind me I can take some time to go through my hard drive folders to see if I can turn up examples, and failing that, attempt to scan some pics from my multitude of Colorado RR books to illustrate.

All fer now.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  09:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Donít you have some of these?

American Model Builders has a lot of depots from simple to elaborate.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  09:33:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the source for that oil scene photo: https://digital.librarycompany.org/islandora/object/digitool%3A101450?solr_nav%5Bid%5D=4d6f868b6fe76befedd0&solr_nav%5Bpage%5D=0&solr_nav%5Boffset%5D=22 It's tagged as "Circa 1875" and I think we'd agree with that date.

Looking closely at the photo: (1) the stock car definitely has PRR markings. (2) I can't make out the lettering on the tank cars, but the left one has that characteristic horseshoe-shaped PRR brake staff holder. (3) there's some interesting detail on the nearer still, particularly firebox doors like on a brick kiln. (4) I still have no clue what that double door brick building on the left was used for. It does have a strange 'thingie' on a shaft on the roof with some supports. Wonder if that was a gas flare. If so, that building might be an oil pipeline pump house.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 04/03/2021 09:51:16 AM

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  09:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

Yes, I do have a few of those. Such a kit was in my mind when you posed the question. (My "Hm." response.) I've considered bashing one down some before to use as a LnP era depot, but I fear removing the cast-on conduit and electric meter box, though.

"American Model Builders":

Taking a quick look, I see some offerings that have promise. This one, for example, could be used at the small town of Avalanche (sans ginger bread trim):

Dave:

Yup. Linked it above in my post concerning same. That's really a cool picture. Good deal on the 1875 era being "likely". Now, to figure out if I want to justify using one of those super-neat looking tank cars on my Colorado 1880s theme.

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 04/03/2021 09:48:14 AM

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  3:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Andre,

Donít you have some of these?

American Model Builders has a lot of depots from simple to elaborate.

Mike

Yup. See my round of replies to your first posting of this.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  3:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't temporary track have temporary Stations? Like a converted boxcar.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Gloucesterman
New Hire

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  4:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,

If you are looking for some small, generic stations based on late 19th century prototypes, check out the line of kits offered by HRM: https://hrmlasermodels.com/ This is a one man operation run by D. Scott Peterson based in Wisconsin. He makes beautiful, well designed laser kits that deserve to be better known.

Frank

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  4:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Y'all!

Rob:

The above Lake Jct would be used at the west tunnel town of Avalanche. For the switchbacks, up at the summit of "Moccasin Pass" (w/pass track) I intend to use a small log structure. Would seem to me that a reltively new railroad wouldn't have old and disposable cars just yet?

Frank:

That "Knowlton" depot shows some promise!

All fer now. Going for a spin on one of my vintage enduro (vinduro) bikes.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  7:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I removed that redundant post. It was an oops.

Youíre getting some useful suggestions.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  8:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll second the recommendation for Scott Peterson's kit. I really liked his small coaling tower!

dave

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  8:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

Indeed I'm getting some good suggestions. Instead of wondering what I can use... I'll be overwhelmed with choices!

Dave:

HRM models - I didn't look at the prices. I'm afraid to!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2021 :  9:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More ideas.

Log station in Colorado:

Portable station:

Kit: https://www.interactionhobbies.com/HO-Scale-Kit-Portable-Train-Station-CPR-Standard_p_118.html

Glen Haasdyk's model from the kit: http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53481

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/04/2021 :  12:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

seem to me that a reltively new railroad wouldn't have old and disposable cars just yet?

not disposed, just on temporary assignment.
And HMR's price are not that bad.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 04/04/2021 01:28:09 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/04/2021 :  12:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oil tank car loading... Too bad we can't see the full lettering on the dome: https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47e2-5816-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99

dave

Page: of 68 Previous Topic: Sliding door reefers? Topic Next Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000