Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 89 ]  [ Total: 94 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N
Page: of 54

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  2:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like a great day indeed.

bob

It's only make-believe

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  3:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress Andre. Getting ready for folks to visit is a huge motivator. Congrats!

TomO

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/19/2019 :  8:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks fella's.

It's nice to have a layout again, and I'm looking forward to having one (at a time for now) the Fort Smith guys over to operate some trains. It's been over 20 years since I've hosted operating sessions. A plus is that the three Fort Smith guys are chewin' at the bit to get a chance to operate on the layout.

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  12:36:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ain't dead! Just havin' fun piddlin' and running some trains... even if they are those nasty ol' deseasals.

However, my steam stuff is still in the stage yards waiting for the hoped-for visit from my old friend David this Saturday. I'll know whether's he's yay/nay on that toward the end of the week.

I find myself switching out the stages with engines instead of using GHA. I'm also learning all sorts of things about the way the diesels perform on the grades. More on that some other time, perhaps.

I'm also switching and running every car that's on the layout to find the problem children as well as any joint/switch/whatever that needs attention.

I really don't like the way Shinohara handled their switch points on the last of their switches they produced. I think switches previous to the last version are superior.

Anyway... I figure I'll enjoy the fruits of my labor for a spell... then decide what to make a priority and proceed accordingly!

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 07/23/2019 12:37:40 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  12:40:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Excellent idea to methodically test your rolling stock and track work. We all do that you know (yeah, right!) You are to be commended. I hope the planned visit occurs and everything runs well. I expect it will.

Iíve noticed over the years that Shinohara changed their turnout design at the points. What is it you donít like? Iím just curious.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  4:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike:

I detest that phosphor bronze shim under the points. It sometimes prevents closure of the points as well as not making the electrical continuity it's supposed to insure making. I much prefer the previous design.

IF these switches don't shape up (or I can't figure out and apply a fix), I will probably replace those that I can with older Shinohara's. Can't easily replace the new curved switches (that have the phosphor bronze shim) though, because vintage curved switches are hard to come by.

All fer now. Sortin' many Athearn/MDC boxes full of small piddly parts that came down from the attic today.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 07/23/2019 8:42:27 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  6:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The day that I can get Peco code 70 turnouts I'm going to replace my Shinoharas. Both of them.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  7:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unavailability of Peco code 79 insulfrog turnouts is disappointing.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/23/2019 :  8:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

Yes, it would have been nice to have a prefab code 70 option besides Shinohara or (worse) Micro Engineering.

Mike:

I have Peco code 83 "Steamline" (US type) switches for my urban industrial switching layout that I will eventually be building, and they appear to be very solid units. Shame Peco didn't have the code 70 "Streamline" switch line out yet.

Ah well... I'll figure out something for the problem children. I'm in no hurry, there's only one in the upper stage that's picky (but it will only be switched by me, for the operating crew or crews will be out on the "main"), and the curved switch on the north end of Jack Fork is sort of picky.

All fer now.

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  11:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Troops!

All is set for the visit by my longest-term model railroad (and one of my best, if not the best) friend: 87 year old David McDonald.

Model trains brought us together back in about 1969, and our journey's through life's adventure has made us close friends.

Layout:

I have removed all of the diesel stuff from the main portion of the layout (retiring it to stage tracks) and placed 1880s stuff at all the industry tracks and at towns. I have a north bound staged in the South Stage, and a southbound staged in the North Stage. A helper is waiting on the engine ready track at Ozarka, and an engine simmers on the service track at Mountain Top. I'm going to run a "show" for David using my DCC Bachmann 4-4-0's. (By the way, I've learned to assign DCC engine numbers to individual engines and learned to use the "Recall" feature. More on this in a moment.) When we're done with the 25 cent tour of the layout/etc, it will be time to start the action:

* The northbound arrives at Ozarka and spots for water.

* As the northbound is watering, using the "Recall" feature, the helper will leave the engine track and go to the clearance point at the south main switch and wait for the northbound to finish watering.

* When the northbound finishes watering, (using the "Recall" feature) it will pull forward into the clear.

* The helper will come out to the main, and hook on to the rear of the northbound.

* With whistles and fanfare, the northbound will head north to do battle with The Mountain.

* At the summit town of Piney, the northbound will hold for a meet with the southbound.

* I'll activate the southbound, make the meet at Piney, then we'll continue with the southbound down the mountain to the South Stage.

* We'll return our attention to Piney, and cut off the helper.

* The northbound will complete its run to the North Stage.

* We're return to the waiting helper at Piney and run light back down to Ozarka and tie it up.

The above ought to be about an hour's worth (or longer) of operation!

SO, in advance of the above, the Hut is swept, the workbench organized... all is set! I'll leave right after lunch to go to Fort Smith and run an errand and pick up David. (I don't want him to have to drive the distance to/from Fort Smith to Poteau.)

All fer now!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  12:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have a great day, Andre! Itís always nice getting together with long-time friends.

ďRecallĒ is a wonderful thing on the hand-held. Works better than real life; my recall seems to be diminishing. Perhaps my RAM is full or needs to be defragmented.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  4:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! have fun,

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/27/2019 :  10:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We did! (Had a great day and had fun.)

Just got back from taking him home about an hour ago.

He can't stand long... so David actually being involved in a 2 hour operating session is not practical. His visits to the train room will need to keep standing time very short term. Within about 15-20 minutes, he ended up on my padded w/padded back bar stool as I ran the trains. When finished demonstrating the layout, I sat down in my workshop chair and we did a lot of visiting. Fortunately, his mind is still very sharp and he has good recall.

The wife ordered in pizza and he ate surprisingly good. We then retired to this computer room and I blew his mind with my collection of Midland Valley RR photographs. (The MV was one of his favorite regional lines.) I have MV pictures of places he'd never seen a train at, depots he'd never seen photos of, scenes, etc. The internet is amazing.

I intend to bring him down to my place every month or so. He's the primary caregiver to his failing wife (Shirley) so he can't get out much and has a lot of worrisome stress to deal with. It was good for him to be away for as long as he was away. (His daughter was there to care for Shirley.)

Great day!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2019 :  10:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Youíre a good friend, Andre. Sounds like a good time.

I had to look up the Midland Valley RR. You learn something new every day.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/30/2019 :  10:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Psst... hey buddy... wanna' see somethin'?

If you'll overlook the deseaseal, this experimental structure represents the same technique I intend to employ where possible for my 1880s theme.

This is simply manipulated photo textures printed and cut/pasted to poster board and assembled. It will serve for as long as it needs to until it gets replaced by the permanent structure.

All fer now!

Andre

Page: of 54 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000