Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: red dog ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N
Page: of 54

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  12:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the monologue Andre, It does help me.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  1:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lunch time!

Bob:

Glad it made sense... sometimes I don't, 'ya know.

Wish you guys lived closer. Once the layout's functional, I think y'all would enjoy operating in the Ozarks.

You live in Califerny, dont'cha Bob?

Where do you live, Mike?

I'm in eastern OK in town by the name of "Poteau".

OH, by the way: It has begun...

After lunch I will be measuring, cutting, and installing the turn back curve at the end of the peninsula.

Observation: The bottom level is getting darker as the top level goes in place! Won't be long and it will be time to start thinking about lighting.

All fer now!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  3:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I live on the eastern side of Los Angeles. But I warn you, I want to visit all 50 state before I die and I have four to go. Florida, Maine, Hawaii and Arkansas.
Bob

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  4:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No obvious "shortest path routing" for Bob's last 4 states!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  5:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

I'm only about 10 or so miles from the western AR state line. 26 miles south/southwest of Fort Smith, AR.

Well, here's as far as I got today. Getting ready to have a severe thunderstorm (again), so I've shut down the Hut for the night.

The shelves are only tacked in place in case I have to remove/modify/reinstall. The mismatch on the right side at the junction peninsula "blob" and shelf will be trimmed to final shape once the track alignment for that location is finalized.

Unfortunately, it's beginning to look like one more sheet of ply will be required.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  5:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Where do you live, Mike?

I'm in eastern OK in town by the name of "Poteau".

WV.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  5:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
West "By God" Virginia?

You lucky dog!

Wonderful country! Wife and I spent some of our vacation there a few years ago (2016?). We took in a lot of RR locations including riding the Cass Scenic to Bald Knob.

Your mountains are like the Ozarks... on steroids.

I think I'm jealous.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  6:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you're about 9 hours from Chama NM or 5 hours from St. Louis Mu. I'm hoping to be around Chama watching a rotary working next spring so there is a possibility I could in the neighborhood. I don't go anywhere without an invitation.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  6:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

Chama? Google Maps shows 12.5 hrs, which sounds about... maybe longer. Wife and I have come home from Chama in one shot before (long day), but when we go to/from Chama we always go via Taos, NM/Cimarron, NM so we can enjoy those mountains (and Cimmaron Canyon). The one time we came down through Santa Fe, NM, (Google Maps recommends) we bitterly regretted it and didn't save an ounce of time. (Traffic and construction.)

St. Louis is more like 6 hrs 45 min.

Invitation? Well DUH... of course you have an open invitation. By next spring the backdrops should be in, painted sky blue (at the least), and lighting installed.

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/23/2019 :  7:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't accomplish a lot today. I did get the plywood "doughnut" cut for the return loop area.

But, with the rain and all, I didn't want to carry a sheet of Homasote from the garage (where the Homasote is stored) to the Hut. I need the Homasote so I can fit a half-sheet of it on top of the doughnut and trace the doughnut's outline thereon. But not in this rain.

SO... I snapped a pic looking toward the weekend's accomplishments and called it good for the evening.

Looking like a rather sizable layout... but the actual trackplan is deceptively simple, really.

Tomorrow is supposed to be dry. That so, then I'll carry a sheet of Homasote out to the Hut and carry on.

All fer now!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/23/2019 :  7:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Looking like a rather sizable layout... but the actual trackplan is deceptively simple, really.

Andre

A fine example of Less is More.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/23/2019 :  8:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Best of luck on the weather. Your productivity has been nothing less than phenomenal.

Are you going to put lights under the upper level?

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/23/2019 :  9:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

I'll let you know how my "less is more" is working out after a few years of operation! IF too much routine is established, then I may rework some towns, add some stuff, whatever, to keep it operationally interesting to me.

Mike:

No kidding on the weather. Never had this much rain before in this region. Flash flood warnings again today in several adjoining counties. Some lives were lost in yesterday's flash flooding here locally. Serious stuff.

Productivity:

Amazing what being retired can do! Essentially, it's "how much do I want to work on it today?", instead of "how much time will I have this week that I can work on it?". At this point, I'm trying to make hay so I can reach my goal of it being 100% functional by summer's end. Before next year, I'd like to have one of my steam kits assembled with DCC/Sound installed. I'm looking at using Tsunami 2. Very impressive dynamic cut-off features. (Also can be used manually, like the excellent feature found in the the SS2 series of the PFM sound consoles.) Take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGLSNbz6BQs

Lighting:

Yes, both levels will be illuminated. I intend to use LED strip lights. More research will be needed, but at the least I want them dimmable. However, I may get those that the light can be be color "mixed" so that you can represent daylight, morning/evening sun and even night (blue). Here's an example of LED strip lighting:

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Kitchen-Christmas-Non-waterproof-Daylight/dp/B00HSF65MC

Lots still left to do. I was intending to install the backdrops and paint them blue next, but I think I may install lighting instead, THEN the backdrops and paint blue. Reason: That bottom level is getting dark as I install the top level.

Thanks you two for your interest. It makes it more fun.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/23/2019 :  10:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bob:

I'll let you know how my "less is more" is working out after a few years of operation! IF too much routine is established, then I may rework some towns, add some stuff, whatever, to keep it operationally interesting to me.

Of course, That's the nature of the Hobby. Then There is Always The 2nd layout you talked about on that other Forum.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/24/2019 :  09:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mornin' Bob!

Re: Changes/Modifications to a layout being the norm for this hobby.

So very true. Wouldn't doubt it for a moment to see refinements over the life span of this layout.

My 2nd Layout:

Ah yes, my urban industrial L-shaped shelf layout idea. It's going to happen. Just don't know "when". Once it's time to start on that layout, things won't go as turtle-like slow as this layout.

It will be nothing more than 18"-20" wide slabs of 1/2" plywood with slabs of Homasote on top. Trackwork will be much less in scope than what I'm currently building. However, it will be intense. That is, a profusion of tracks that is intentionally designed to NOT be convenient to switch. That's the whole idea, that, and to give me a place to indulge my childhood Kansas City railroad memories.

I have already experimented and I am going to be able to fit in a wye into the corner area. The wye will add a lot of operational features, especially with an industry spot on the tail track. That, in conjunction with a couple of industry spots that are directionally-oriented ("Unload This Side Only" boxcars, and TOFC) will make for some intricate switch moves.

Here's a pic of some of my experimentation. Note the wye in the corner, also note the geometry test in the left center. (Peco #5's w/Atlas 25 degree crossing.)

I would say it's safe to say that my KC urband industrial layout idea is definitely a "go"... but it will be AFTER I have a good handle on my Ozark layout.

All fer now!

Andre

Page: of 54 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: New W&N  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000