Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 53

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  5:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's A lot done. And it's all looking good.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  6:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mr. Bob!

Ramblings:

I'm really liking my 1880s stuff. I also think it flatters the layout. Namely, smaller trains, trains ran slower then, etc, making the layout seem larger. And, of course, there's the visual interest aspect: Small, rustic towns, trackside commodities to be loaded, and such as that.

Case in point: Delaney, AR around TOC19...

This n' that:

* My feeder wire came in today! This means Friday I can finish up the track work in advance of starting to install the shelves for the top level.

* The Old MR Codgers Get Together is tomorrow. While in Fort Smith, I hope to get enough L-brackets to finish the upper level.

All fer now. Off to church.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  9:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Do you have maps for any of these old Ozark towns?

I like the looks of these places also. I think once Iíve finished with my city of Auburn NY for a while, I might build a little country town at the other end of my layout.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  9:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I meant to ask where you buy things like feeder wire.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/19/2019 :  10:03:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike!

Maps. Well, I thought I had one of Winslow that was back when the turntable was still there, but I can't find it. That's part of the blessings/cursed thing about modeling the Ozarks:

Blessings - Its history is quite obscure, therefore few know much about it, so there's not much heard from the historical nitpickers. Also, few model it, thus the field is pretty much wide open.

Cursed - The Ozarks was a very depressed region, and cameras were a luxury most mountain folk simply couldn't afford, so there's little historic photographic record of the railroading scene and its towns. (Compared to, say, Colorado, or the Pennsy RR, or on and on.) There was also very few good maps that were made of the towns and such early on.

As for wire:

I purchased off eBay. Seems to be the most painless way online. Here's the link that I purchased from:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173286125438

I recalled incorrectly, thinking I had purchased two 100' spools. I purchased 100' total: One each (black/red) 50'. I think I have enough to finish the layout with some leftover.

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  4:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The two yard spurs I forgot are finalized and powered/tested. So to, the longish Rock Spur. All essential L-brackets are installed for the top level, and tomorrow morning I go get two pieces of plywood and start installing the top level shelving:

Ain't I sumpthin?

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  5:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me. I know you shared your track plan with us but I couldn't read it on my monitor. So what goes above the staging? Really smart of you to have all that access above the staging.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  5:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Your L-brackets appear to be on the level.

Very neatly done.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  7:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob:

The restrictions on image size here (small) makes the track plan hard to read.

Above the staging? You mean the top level or what are the L-brackets for above the current staging?

Above the current staging will be the "north" end of the layout and that stage area will essentially be identical to the "south" stage. There will be a total of 14 through trains possible. (Each stage area has 7 tracks.) May be overkill, but my last layout didn't have enough staging.

I have yet to decide whether to install backdrops behind the stage areas, painted sky blue at the least, or scenic backgrounds thereon at the most. Jury's still deliberating that idea. If I decide to NOT have scenic background (either sky or land), then the area above the top stage could have shelves installed for additional storage. However, I hope to keep storage below the layout and I sort of like the idea of sky and land scenes on the stage backdrops. We shall see.

Mike:

Thanks on both counts. As for level/neat: OCD, remember?

L-brackets: I developed a method for making sure my L-brackets were at the same height and level. The chalk line helps tremendously during installation, and a small level atop the bracket during installation insures they're not canted to one side.

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  9:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to show the quarry/rock spur that I laid, too...

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  10:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, How Much staging was not enough?

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/21/2019 :  11:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob:

My previous layout had reverse closed loop staging. (Closed loop: Switches on each end of each stage track.) There was a total of four tracks: Innermost track being Track 1, then Track 2, and so forth. As I recall it, the longest track (outside track, Track 4)) could accommodate a train longer than the layout's "standard" pass track length (I think the pass track length was 9' on that layout?). Track 3 could fit a standard pass length train, but tracks 1 and 2 could not.

So, the first problem was the stage tracks were very inconsistent in length, which handicapped their usefulness.

Second issue was there were only four tracks, and for any continuous run provision (when I felt like just running a train), you lost the inside track (Track 1) so it could function as a reverse loop. Therefore, it only actually had three useful tracks. That said, maxed out I could handle 4 trains per direction, but not without a lot of finagling.

The configuration and stage track capacities of my previous layout meant that I was limited in my ability to run through trains. I purposed at that time, that if I returned to a layout that can accommodate "through trains", then I wanted to improve my design so I could represent a line with a fair amount of through traffic. The issue became that the layout had sufficient originating/terminating traffic to/from the stages that additional through trains really weren't able to be accommodated.

The stage design for my current layout can hold 7 trains, most stage tracks can handle a standard pass track length train (10'), with a couple of the tracks at 9'. (I think. Going on memory here.) The reverse loop for a continuous run option is separate from the stage tracks, so no loss of stage capacity when I want to chase my caboose. (Meaning all trains in staging can remain there without having to be removed/relocated/etc.)

SO, the difference being:

* Old design resulted in three tracks at each stage being "useable" (the inside track being used for continuous running), but weren't consistent in length, was taxed handling the traffic originating/terminating ON-LAYOUT thus couldn't handle any additional through trains.

* This design results in 7 tracks at each stage, with length being more consistent, and a separate reverse loop for continuous running. There will be sufficient stage tracks to not only handle on-layout originating/terminating traffic, but also some through trains.

Adequate stage capacity becomes more important if one wants to simulate through traffic, then the question becomes "how much" through traffic does one want to be able to accommodate? I felt that the potential for 14 trains a day was "in the ball park" for my diesel era. (Remember, this current layout design was ORIGINALLY designed for DIESEL operation, circa early 1960s). The prototype KCS had something like 20 trains per day, so seeing as my line was not to be as "successful" as the competitor KCS, then I felt that the potential to have 14 trains a day would suffice. Or... so I hope! I would rather have a track or two too many than not enough.

Typed you a novel trying to explain it. Hope I didn't put you to sleep.

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  12:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting until I'm sleepy. Big day tomorrow. I'll be hittin' the ground running and after a quick breakfast/etc, I'll be off to the lumber yard to get two sheets of 1/2" A/C. Sawdust time again!

Was out there tonight running an engine (UP #119, and also one of my ATSF 4-4-0's) and once again, had the thought that my 1880s era just might get the most attention for a while. It sure is neat. It's going to be even better once the all the track is laid and 100% functional and I can start actually doing some meaningful "operation".

I expect before the end of summer, that I will also have my second NCE Pro-R system purchased. This will give me the ability to host a friend over for some operation. With the 4 DCC/Sound equipped steam engines I have on hand (Bachmann NT 4-4-0's) I can at least have some operation. (The operational schemes with more through traffic will have to wait until I have more DCC/Sound equipped engines ready to go as well as more rolling stock.) Fun times ahead!

Structure idea:

I think I can make this cardboard buildings idea work. Here's a screen picture of a V scale (virtual scale) structure I created in a 3D CAD program for use on one of my V scale routes.

The cool thing is: The textures can likely be repurposed and printed out, then cut/pasted/assembled via cardboard into a structure that's appropriate for the 1880s.

Okay, need to start thinking in terms of prepping for bed.

Hope y'all are having as much fun with your theme/layout as I am!

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  09:40:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thereís your lumber yard, Andre.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/22/2019 :  09:52:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mornin' Mikey!

Yup, I think this print-out structure idea is just a matter of piddling n' figurin' it out, then doing it. All in good time.

As fer now...

Got the structures off the benchwork, rolling stock is all packed away, NCE/DCC system in unplugged and back inside the house... I think I'm ready to go purchase three (count 'em, THREE) sheets of A/C 1/2" ply. I remembered that only two sheets won't get me to the stage area. I want ALL plywood in place when this sawdust session is finished, so three sheets it will be.

Sort of dreading making another mess... but very much looking forward to having the benchwork/Homasote in place.

Tally HO! Off to the lumber yard!

Andre

Page: of 53 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000