Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 137 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy
Page: of 53

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/09/2019 :  9:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

Yes, the grade(s) is one of the main reasons I went to the trouble to make sure everything is level.

I'd have to look at my notes, but I think the grade will be about 2.8% to reach the summit (upper level), all 57' of it. Not enough to limit the actual pulling ability of my diesels, but ought to play hay with the steam engines... which is EXACTLY what I want: Actual tonnage limitations for the steam engines.

In all, I'm pleased with what I've come up (for my themes, trackplan, etc) with and how it's shaping up.

Bob:

I'll just go ahead and post the 1024 pixels wide version here. I have a larger version, (1954 pixels wide) but I think at least this will help you to visualize where I'm headed.

A few thoughts about trackplans and such...

Historically, I'm typically hesitant to make my trackplans public.

You see, IMHO, a track plan is a very personal thing. It has ONE goal: To please ME, thus my reticence to post 'em to all and sundry. Instead, I typically share them among my (small) circle of long-time model railroading friends.

For you see, the way I have it figured, what pleases ME and what I'M "okay" with... will likely NOT be what pleases SOMEONE ELSE and and thus SOMEONE ELSE won't be "okay" with it... so often it becomes a discussion point.

That said, below is a photo of the basic plan I'm working from to build the lower level. I've allowed for some track placements at scenes to be open for development upon arriving at that location with the track. I will also be implementing long, flowing curves into scenes as I can which (to me) is easier done in place than on paper.

So, it's a "working copy", and the main purpose of my track plan is insure the essential elements will fit as I mentally envisioned, and what (and how) I will have to construct it in order to accomplish same. Many of the little nuts and bolts of the towns (what spur is where and where it runs where/etc) I've left open and I will decide as needed.

OH... and also, I didn't draw the lines with high-definition in mind... they were lightly traced to allow for easy erasure and re-configuring if needed, thus some of the pencil lines may appear very faint, if at all. Lastly, many of the features I've penciled-in will be changed once I'm there and envision a better way of doing something visually. This plan is just a working copy and NOT a detailed blueprint.

All that said, here 'tis...

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  11:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW...

I consider y'all as part of my "small" circle of online TOC19 railroading friends. That so, I will gladly field any questions or explain my reasoning for doing something on the trackplan the way I did it. Typically, though demented as I am, there are methods to my my madness.

This morning:

Coffee break for now, but I've been moving the junk from one side of the Hut to the other. NOT fun, but necessary in order to proceed with the benchwork.

TIP OF THE DAY: IF you're going to build a layout, do NOT clutter the room with stuff in storage!!! Definitely a negative factor in regards to the fun of creating a layout.

All fer now!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  1:43:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre,
I like your track plan. I see track plans as guild lines. The reality is often very different. I like the long stretches of natural scenery in your track plans. So often the natural scenery quickly becomes developed (kind'a reflecting reality), I takes a lot of discipline to keep that from happening. But your plan gives hope.

Bob

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  5:08:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an update! Sorry being so absent from the forum. I have run a small train meet and it took a lot of my time which together with the forum not being so cell phone friendly (read my clumsy fingers having a hard time typing on miniscule phones) have left me off the forum somewhat.

I must say I love the benchwork. Looking very professional. L-girder is nice to work with and using good grade lumber also helps. I did my benchwork in the same way. Liked the versatility of the L-girder very much.

And those speaker one could say Rocks! Great to have some music flowing when building. I have of late started a strange trend with having a movie running on my cell when at the workbench. Don't see much but one can follow along hearing the plot.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  8:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Thank you for posting your track plan. I’ll probably study it many times as you build.

Like Håkan, I frequently listen to music when building models. It seems to get my creative juices flowing.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/11/2019 :  9:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Done out in the Hut for today. Didn't make a lot of visible progress... but I did make progress. Tomorrow's progress ought to more visible.

Bob:

Glad you like the plan. Historically, I would detail a plan down to an 1/8" and not deviate much from said plan. However, with this one I decided to just get the essentials figured out, and leave some places open for interpretation once I arrive with the track. So, this plan, more than any of my others, is being used as a guideline rather than a detailed construction guide.

As for avoiding clutter:

The pass track town along the right wall will get a team track, and maybe a small spur for a small industry, but that's about it. It will definitely be a small community of little consequence "out in the mountains". (I don't foresee much more than a general store or two, and maybe a couple of visible dwellings.)

There may also be a spur with an unobtrusive industry of some sort (tie loading or something) along the right side of the peninsula, but again, it will be very low key and blend in well with the scenery so as not to stand out.

Also, if you'll look along the bottom wall, right side, there is a "major" industry that is planned, but it will be reached via the long spur and will be a separate scene from the main layout. The shelf for it will only be a few inches wide, for I will try to portray the bulk of the industry on the backdrop to avoid "structure clutter" in the mountains. It may just remain a single track as drawn, but I may add a short spur as well once I start seeing the scene in real life.

Håkan:

I've been busy.

Hope your meet went well.

Thanks for the kind words on my benchwork. I enjoy building benchwork, and I typically like the challenge afforded by more complex construction. In retrospect, I guess I've done a lot of benchwork/layout construction. More so than I typically tend to think/recall off hand. I usually think in terms of this being my 4th or 5th layout... but that's only personal layouts and doesn't include those I've contracted to build as well as built for friends.

Counting all those, I've built benchwork/trackwork/etc for about 15-18 layouts, the most complex being a G-scale overhead room-to-room layout.

That G scale layout I designed and built within a large pediatric dental facility. The configuration of the layout demanded that I design, build, and install, several large suspended bridges overhead. (I ended up fabricating through truss bridges.) I also had to design/install self-cleaning track cleaners and wheel cleaners. (The equipment ran 8-9 hours per day.)

Building that layout was a great challenge and I enjoyed it tremendously. It also paid very well! ($3500, and that was back in the mid-1990s!) Looking back, I so wish I would have thought to take pictures, but that was back in the film days and I wasn't very good taking film pictures. Also, I guess at the time I didn't think mementos of such stuff like that could be important to me later in life.

The sound system:

Being a musician, it should come as no surprise that I'm a music lover. Typically, that system is tuned to an oldies station and it is ALWAYS on if I'm out there working. Sometimes, though, I play CD's through it.

Mike:

You're welcome on the track plan. It's not very legible (many of the pencil lines are faint), but it is what it is.

And yup on the music!

All fer now.

Andre

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/13/2019 :  3:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I almost have the basic benchwork in place now for the lower level. Still need to think a bit more on how I want to do the horseshoe curve area in the corner. Down to three 8' sticks of 1 x 2's.

I think I'm going to go ride my dual sport motorcycle tomorrow (IF the weather forecast holds), so not much more progress until Friday.

Here's what I've got as of a few minutes ago:

All fer now!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2019 :  5:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andre, Wow! Man that really looks good. It looks like even the screws are evenly spaced. I'm not showing a close-up of my bench-work. I'm embarrassed to.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/13/2019 :  7:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob said:

Andre, Wow! Man that really looks good.

Well, thank 'ya, thank'ya vury much.

It looks like even the screws are evenly spaced.

LOL! Being somewhat OCD will do that for a feller! It's easy: Just become anal about crooked pictures and such, the rest of it will will follow right along.

I'm not showing a close-up of my bench-work. I'm embarrassed to.

And this from a guy that learns to use CAD programs by the dozen, can design his own CAD locomotive, get it printed, and assembled, etc. NO way I can do that at this stage of my modeling development!

So, nah, I don't think there's a need for you to tuck your head, Bob!

All fer now.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2019 :  7:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

It looks like your proclivity for detailed planning is paying off. You’re getting benchwork built with real efficiency. And it looks good too. You have earned a day off, if only so you can come back with fresh eyes and deservedly admire your work.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  1:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike!

Thanks again for your kind words in regards to my benchwork efforts. I enjoy benchwork, but as you can see, I tend to get obsessed about it!

All:

Spending yesterday on my dual sport motorcycle out in "my" mountains made for a good day, and a needed break from my OCD about layout construction. ("My" mountains = First rode these in 1972 or so, and ridden regularly since '79, so I sort of feel like these are "my" mountains!) It was much c-c-colder than forecast, but I adapted and did fine.

A few pics:

See that ridge in the distance? I'll hook a left (west) ahead at a T jct and ride west to the AR/OK state line, then head north and get on that ridge. I will then ride east the complete length of the access road, the west end of which is WAY off screen to the left, and the east end WAY off the screen to the right.

Once finished with lunch at Judy's Cafe in Waldron, AR (delish hamburgers), it was back to the ridge and head west back to my drop off point off the mountain range and ride back to my pick up truck. The above pic is one of my stops along the ridge to take in the vista that's screen left.

In all, it was an excellent outing and like I said, a refreshing (and needed) break from my "driven" attitude I get about projects.

As for the layout:

This morning, I cut up the remaining 1x2's and was in the process of installing them when I decided to make a run for the lumber yard before lunch and get some more 1x2's. That I've done, and I now have 20 more 8' sticks waiting to be cut and installed as needed. At the least, I hope to get the framework for the horseshoe curve installed today.

All fer now!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  2:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your mountains. It looks like a place a man could find his soul and get a quiet, restful feeling.
Another thing that stands out in your bench-work is that you seem to but the better quality lumber instead of the 1x2 furring sticks.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  3:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob:

The mountains I live in, and near, are certainly NOT as spectacular as the Sierra's or the Rockies... but I'm SO glad we live in them. We are fortunate that we (wife and I) live in the ONLY pretty (to us) region of Oklahoma.

Wood:

Well, funny you should mention that. I've been purchasing off a local ma & pa dealer. I've been purchasing White Fir 1x2 trim. Very precise wood, well worth the premium price. Alas, I've purchased all they had on hand over the past couple weeks, so they diverted me to their other regional store (about 20 minutes from me). That's where this batch of wood came from. Unfortunately, it is NOT the same wood, even though I took a receipt from their Poteau store that gives the stock #. It is wider by 1/4".

SO... I've got the "new" wood reloaded into the truck and getting ready to leave for Pocola to see what's happened. I may be in deep doo-doo, for I need the same dimensioned lumber to seamlessly tie into the existing benchwork. This sucks.

Off on my way back to Pocola.

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  3:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like fun. I assume you were in the Ouachitas.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2019 :  4:01:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Hi Bob:

e it is NOT the same wood, .... It is wider by 1/4".
SO... I may be in deep doo-doo, for I need the same dimensioned lumber to seamlessly tie into the existing benchwork.
Andre

Andre, Might I suggest, just make the adjustment when you add your risers. Mark the larger lumber so you can tell it at a glance.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 53 Previous Topic: Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR Topic Next Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000