Railroad Line Forums - Promised Update...
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: Hawghead ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co Topic Next Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Page: of 24

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  06:11:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you are on the right track Andre

Håkan

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  10:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ooooo... Håkan is punny today!

Yes, hopefully I'll not get SIDE TRACKED with some other shiny thing that catches my eye.

According to the UPS assigned TRACKING number, the package is ON TRACK to be delivered later today. hopefully, the shipment won't get DERAILED and be late.

Ohhhh... that was corny... but fun!

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 08/07/2018 10:06:58 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  4:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Won’t be too long now when you have some benchwork built and track down. Then you’ll be ready to moo-ve cattle to market in your new cars.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/07/2018 :  4:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL!! Clever, there, Mikey!

Ol' Håkan and I are gonna' haf'ta get up a lot earlier to get one over on you.

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/09/2018 :  10:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Welp... the track arrived safe and sound: 126' of flex track. I may end up having to get another bundle or so, but maybe not. We'll see once things are well underway.

I reckon it's time to make some FIRM decisions on how I want to approach my bench work... and then it's a trip to the lumber yard.

OH... and I've got to go out to the (shudder!)... garage... and try to dig up my C-clamps, bench work tools, power saw, drills, etc, etc, etc. Been a loooong time. (Like before I started full time railroading some 12+ years ago!)

All fer now!

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/11/2018 :  12:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:

In between the forecast rains, I'm hoping to go get some lumber next week! Still need to dig around in the disaster zone called the "garage" and find the above mentioned items. Getting awful close to start day.

All fer now!

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/20/2018 :  10:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Received my Grandt Line order I placed back in March or April!

All items accounted for.

That's cool!

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2018 :  10:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's start day.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/20/2018 :  10:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Received my Grandt Line order I placed back in March or April!

All items accounted for.

That's cool!

Andre

Excellent!

I’m looking forward to seeing what’s next.

Mike

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/21/2018 :  08:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All in good time I suppose.

Leaving for Colorado as soon as I finish breakfast. Y'all have fun... I know we will!

Andre

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  09:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Motivation

...is often a problem for me. I've been in/around model trains since my childhood years, I've had five different layouts, each modeled using different themes (all diesel to this point) on and on, so perhaps some of my lack of motivation is "been there, done that" oriented.

I'm convinced that I will always find miniature trains entertaining to a degree. However, I have so many interests within the hobby of trains (reading, hence an extensive and eclectic train book library), scale interests (HO, V scale, even 3-rail), theme/locale (19th century Colorado vs 1960 urban/industrial in several settings vs ??) that I'm hard pressed now to pick a direction and stay with it. Too many siren calls from other aspects of theme/era/locale/etc... even scale choice!

As it sits, I'm poised to start my 5th layout with a reasonably well defined theme/era/locale, a "start here" trackplan, enough functional equipment on hand to get started (even the first batch of lumber is stacked on the floor), to take an approach, along with a theme/era/locale I've never actually followed through with before.

BUT... I can't seem to make the first cut on the lumber because I keep "second guessing" my choices.

Result? I keep pushing the layout aside and indulge in other interests.

Hm. Gut check time, perhaps.

Andre

EDIT: I've had five, instead of four, layouts.

Edited by - OK Hogger on 11/17/2018 09:04:35 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  09:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

I know the feeling of too many interests. In my case gardening, music and model railroading. I think I’m saved by my working to deadlines such as the monthly divisional NMRA bring n brag and annual challenge on this forum. I have a short attention span when modeling and when I feel like a break or need to allow glue to dry I’ll turn 90 degrees, pick up my guitar and practice a little.

My modeling really went into high gear when I picked a time and place.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  10:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike:

"Many interests" can certainly be an issue.

I also suffer from being somewhat OCD about "planning for the future". In some ways this pays off nicely: House purchased in a timely manner that allowed it being paid off long before retirement, the retirement plan itself, etc. Other times it's an albatross.

In the case of my upcoming HO 19th century Colorado layout, such futuristic thinking is an albatross in that I have begun to have nagging doubts about the tiny size of the equipment, the large amount of tedious work ahead (which will require continued dexterity and good eyesight), as well as increasing trepidation concerning the needed skills to paint a "good 'enuf" (for me) representation of Colorado on the backdrop as well as the ability to create convincing (to me) Colorado-type scenery. (The Colorado backdrop/scenery portion of the layout building will be new territory for me.)

Quite recently I've even tossed around the idea of changing scales/themes to something that I'm confident would extend the range of the required dexterity/eyesight for a notably longer period. (Think: Traditional sized O scale 3-rail within an urban/industrial setting.)

However, after deliberating that option for a while, I've decided to at least make an effort on my long-hoped-for 19th century theme. (I've wanted to try TOC19 for better than three decades, but always wienie'd out and didn't have the balls to follow through, including one false start in Sn3 right at two decades ago.) So, I think I owe to myself to at TRY to get something up, with at least a minimum portion of it up to the functional stage (so I can try some switching with this tiny stuff) to genuinely see if modeling my HO 19th century Colorado theme can be long term for me. Frankly, once underway, I should know within a couple years, which should still allow sufficient time for a total shift of "givens n' druthers" if this theme/scale proves to not be my forte'.

But, that brings me back to the trepidation I have of painting Colorado and creating Colorado scenery. Between the two, I think the painting part is the greater concern. However, I HAVE come up with a plan of attack:

Next time I'm in Fort Smith, AR, (which, according to our plans, will be later today) I intend to swing by Hobby Lobby and purchase a large blank canvas, and upon that start trying to paint Colorado this winter season. IF my attempts don't pass muster with me... then I will seriously consider making a change.

So, that's my story an' I'm stickin' to it.

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 11/17/2018 10:16:13 AM

Mark B
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  11:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre-
It sounds like you are bit apprehensive about doing the back drop. I just did about 30 feet of it on Masonite. Did the blue sky thing first but the hills/valleys/trees just weren't looking good. This was in August. Did it again at the end of August, better but still not getting the look I was wanting. In September I went the Narrow Gauge Convention in Minneapolis. I was amazed at the back drops on the modular setups they had there. When you saw them at a distance you thought they were very detailed. Upon closer inspection the hills and forests were just variations of the greens and browns or reds of the surrounding earth. Not much was detailed in the foreground but your eye was drawn to the horizon. I re-did my back ground again. This time it was much better, but I was still trying to detail too many individual trees and rock outcroppings. Did it the 4th time with even less detailing and now I really like it. So don't give up on a backdrop, don't try to make it super realistic, let your models on the layout be the focal point and it will come together just fine.
Mark B.

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/17/2018 :  12:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mark for the encouragement.

I too, will need to paint about 30'-35' of backdrop.

Yup, you are KEY-rect about some apprehension on my part concerning the backdrop. Fortunately, I will not be after "photographic reality" in the painting thereof, instead I'll be going for more of a surreal ("funky-fantastic") approach, that is, a very fanciful interpretation of what Colorado means to me. So, I do have some "latitude" in regards to "realistic".

Within that false start with TOC19 Sn3 modeling I referenced above, I actually made ONE attempt to paint "fanciful" Colorado on a piece of Masonite. It turned out "fair".

However, I think I can improve upon it. The picture below has been posted in this thread before, but for the sake of convenience I shall repost again here.

Below is what I ended up with after my first attempt back in the late 1990s or early 2000s:

Provided at this stage in life (nigh 20 years older) I can at least reproduce the same basic level of result as depicted, I see several things I can do to improve the effort:

* MUCH less symmetry than is represented in the first range of the mountains. (More like what is found on the background range.)

* More contour and terrain irregularities needs to be represented.

* Need to tackle getting some forestation on the mountains and tree lines onto the mountains, as well as some representations of rock outcroppings.

* Need to tweak my coloration selections.

* Need to learn to paint acceptable foreground and distant spruce and aspen trees and groves.

I hope to make me some color mix charts along the way for any color mixes that seem "good 'enuf".

So... as you can see, much experimental painting is ahead of me.

All fer now!

Andre

Edited by - OK Hogger on 11/17/2018 12:40:16 PM

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co Topic Next Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000