Railroad Line Forums - Central Valley Model Works Stock Car
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 46 ]  [ Total: 49 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 Central Valley Model Works Stock Car
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Cad work for Shapeways Topic Next Topic: Code 88, Code 110;or dont care?  

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2016 :  07:05:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have built four of the above. I figure being a Northern Pacific Transition Era modeler, these cars should be fairly common on my layout. If you model the transition it might be a good car for you to add to your fleet, especially if you like building model kits. These are not "Shake the Box" kits, there are many small parts: grabs roof angled grabs and ladders to apply and the six parts making up the car body must be glued together. None of the assembly is that hard and you may want to replace the small plastic grabs with wire ones as the plastic ones easily break.

Overall, the kit's produce very nicely detailed stock cars. You do have to add your own trucks and of course couplers. All the underside breaking and airlines are molded with the bolsters and cross bracing details.

If you like building a little bit more complicated cars, give the Central Valley Model Works cars a try!

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/18/2016 :  07:41:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also built CVMW's Northern Pacific 41 foot Maintenance of Way Flat Car Kits. You get two car kits for the price; again, all the details are molded into these kits and the toughest part was finding a place to add the NMRA's recommended weight. One of the two cars, I wanted to be an empty, so every nook and cranny on the underside was filled with solder to get it near the recommend weight. The other I loaded up with rail from the scrap heap to get to the NMRA's recommended weight. Again, these are not difficult cars to build; but, might be a little fussy for someone new to building models. However, if you have an interest in building models I recommend these cars to anyone with an interest, take your time and I'm sure you can complete and then be able to say with pride; Yes, I built that car from a kit!

Edited by - N2626 on 01/18/2016 07:44:29 AM

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  07:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the two days this thread has been posted, 84 people have read; or, at least viewed this thread; but, no one has posted here, other than myself. I think that is wonderful exposure; however, wonder if at least one other person hasn't built either the CVMW Stock Car; or, Flat Car? Modeltrainstuff has the flat car for sale for $9.79 and remember this is for 2 car kits making the actual price $4.88 each. The stock car costs $14.25 at Central Valley; but, I paid $6.71 on Ebay. Yes, you will have to buy trucks and decals for these cars. However, with the stock cars anyway, you end up with a pretty unusual and different looking stock car!

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  10:21:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That kit is too modern for me, but it sure looks nice!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  10:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have the kit, haven't built it yet because stock cars weren't common on my prototype.

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  12:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark... I have looked at the Central Valley stock car kits more than a couple of times but the curved roof throws me off for some reason. Do you know if these were modeled after a certain prototype? I have entertained thoughts of buying a couple of these kits and trying to kit-bash a more "traditional" style (double slope, boxcar type) roof on the car, just a matter of personal preference. I have several of the Proto 2000, Mather single deck stock car kits but have not yet had the time to start any of them. Another thing is decals. Do you have a source for decals? I can find some old Champ data only decals on e-bay but they cost more than I paid for the kits. Anybody with a few thoughts or comments?

GULF COAST & WESTERN

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  07:16:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, They most certainly are modeled after a Northern Pacific Stock Car. You can see photos of them at the Northern Pacific's NPRHA website go to equipment, then Joe Caron Photos, they will be in the first 100 photos. One of the half dozen photos of these cars is JC10057 and is about half way down on the page. I would be leery of using old decals, they tend to fall apart and are brittle. The decals for both the stock & flat cars are available from the NPRHA's Company Store and they are nice decals. The round roofed stock Cars where numbered 81000 to 83749. All this information available at the NPRHA's website. The decals cost $7.50 and there are enough to decal a half dozen; or, more stock and flat cars.

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2016 :  07:51:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The purpose of this thread was to promote the products of Central Valley Model Works, plain and simple! I think they are a good company and their products are very high quality and reasonably priced. They also are a producer of what I think is important: "KITS". Since my primary interest in this hobby is building kits, I would like to see more such products!

Edited by - N2626 on 01/24/2016 10:31:16 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/24/2016 :  08:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the decal info; I ordered a set, which greatly increases the chance the kit will get built.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/24/2016 :  7:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I built the Central Valley Stock car a few years ago. It's a nice kit. As I remember I wasn't very impressed with the truck pins and converted to screws.

N2626
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  06:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Glen Haasdyk

I built the Central Valley Stock car a few years ago. It's a nice kit. As I remember I wasn't very impressed with the truck pins and converted to screws.

Glen you are correct, I feel this is a weak spot in the design of the car; however, it was something I overlooked in my review, as it was so easy to simply replace with screws, which I did on all of my CVMW Stock and flat cars.

Previous Topic: Cad work for Shapeways Topic Next Topic: Code 88, Code 110;or dont care?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000