Railroad Line Forums - Dead Rail RailPro
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 47 ]  [ Total: 50 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Dead Rail Forum
 Dead Rail RailPro
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Welcome- What are you using or thinking about Topic Next Topic: Batteries, how many mAh?  

hirailer
New Hire

Posted - 01/16/2016 :  01:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are some interesting conversations on the RailPro Users Group. Find the site at:

http://rpug.pdc.ca/index.php

Cheers
Mel

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/19/2018 :  4:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been running with RailPro since 2014 for a year on the power in the rails and since strictly by battery. I always thought the response and motor control using RailPro was superior than anything I have run. That is a subjective finding as I have no empirical proof. I have 2 consists running RailPro battery. A powered engine and the batteries in a trailing dummy for each consist.

Recently I ordered the Prothrottle from ISE that needs DCC to interface to the rails. Being on battery the last few years turns out IMO to being a bigger blessing. I am now adding feeders every 6 and installing a bus line on this layout which is different then what I ran the 1st year. What a PITA! But it is my fault, I should have installed the feeders and bus anyway when I started over.

There is a interesting discussion about the pros and cons of battery power currently running on the MRH forums and it is free and no membership needed to read. Bernd from this forum has an interesting response regarding the battery use. As I said an interesting read.

Enjoy your day
TomO

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 06/19/2018 :  7:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tloc

There is a interesting discussion about the pros and cons of battery power currently running on the MRH forums and it is free and no membership needed to read. Bernd from this forum has an interesting response regarding the battery use. As I said an interesting read.

Enjoy your day
TomO

Tom,

Yes I had a response. I'm trying darn hard not to get to vocal. I do realize everybody has a different idea about batteries. As a matter of fact I've come to the conclusion that perhaps the best way to run engines is power from the rail and control through the air, in other words radio control with rail power. The battery powered engines would be ideal if you run at shows. No worry about needing to be near a power supply or having to tape down extension cords so the public doesn't trip over them.

One thing I think that would help with battery power is to use smaller motors, such as 6volt motors with a gear ratio for torque and max prototypical speed.

There were a lot of different thoughts put out by everybody. Never considered that guys that do ops really wouldn't benefit from battery powered engines. They like to switch consists and have a large number of engines. I can see their point of view. Charging the batteries for 100 locomotives would be very cost prohibitive. There were some other points brought out that has got me to thinking of what I really want to do with my tinkering of RC/BP engines.

I do know that I'll be using the Deltang receivers for control. As for powering the models I may use a mix of battery power and rail power. I have three steamers that have Deltang receivers in them. They also have had a motor swap to six volt motors and carry a bridge rectifier and voltage regulator for six volt operation. I can run them on DC, AC, or DCC powered track due to the on board bridge rectifier and voltage regulator.

Bernd

kingstonemodelworks.com

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/19/2018 :  8:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd

I have always been interested in anything of yours. I especially pay attention whenever you write about battery.

I did the price comparison for 3 engines from start up and it was viewed as something else. I agree with you the operators of large operations, this is not for them. Small operators like me it works great for.

I have run my Scaletrains engin3 on a 9 v battery and it worked fine,
TomO

Previous Topic: Welcome- What are you using or thinking about Topic Next Topic: Batteries, how many mAh?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000