Railroad Line Forums - The Town
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 97 ]  [ Newest Member: tillerman1 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Town
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: The Depot (at Carendt)
Page: of 15

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  3:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

I have a million questions but will limit myself to just a couple.

How high are you going to have the lowest one? I guess a different way to ask that is how tall will the cassette storage unit be?

Is the superstructure holding the modules going to be a single unit with shelves? The drawing looks like the units will stack, sort of like those stackable shelf units so popular a century ago.

Mike

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/26/2016 :  2:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike.

Early days. I'll have more answers after I've done the next draft. I'll publish dimensions as well.

The outer frame will be a single structure that will house all three. The layouts will not technically stack. Each will all have its own shelf to sit upon.

More later this week. I just got back from vacation and am getting back up to speed.

Edited by - kumard on 06/26/2016 2:58:22 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  11:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I took a little time out from finishing details on The Depot to continue planning on The Town.

I have now figured out how to move trains from one module to another using the cassette and cradle system (see the last few posts on The Depot). I decided to keep the cradles external (ie not embedded with the baseboard) and provide space for the cradle when pulling modules in and out (see below).

Here's the cabinet as it currently stands:

Here are some features:

Here's the overall frame. Simple stuff. I'm a little concerned about the ability of the shelves to hold the weight and I might add additional support brackets here and there.

The remaining modules follow the original Depot module design but with some small refinements. Here's an animation showing how they will be put together.

Inside view showing a typical exit point for the track and a close up of the lighting.

Here are some dimensions:

And now for the final rendering (I know, I know, at this point I'm being Mr Sketchup Fancy Pants!):

I have enough planning out the way to get started with the benchwork for The Town.

More next week. Thanks all!

Edited by - kumard on 07/12/2016 11:55:58 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  07:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your graphics are fantastic, Kumard!

You have an fascinating concept and it's going to be interesting to follow.

George

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  10:15:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumard, sharp graphics and concept.I'm eager to see you progress on the modules.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  12:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
interesting concept.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  1:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumard,

Nice diagrams. You answered all my questions and more. It reminds me that I've been meaning to work through a Sketchup tutorial to gat started down that road. I assume there's one out there in internet-land somewhere.

Mike

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  11:36:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

I'm trying to decide which to build first: the new module or the shelf unit. But either way, the nice thing about SketchUp is that it makes it easier figuring out what materials I'll need as well as helping me draw up a set instructions (like Ikea instructions).

Michael >> I've been meaning to work through a SketchUp tutorial to get started down that road. I assume there's one out there in internet-land somewhere. >> Mike, I watched this series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA594D5BA234BC35B . You don't need books. You just have to sit with the tool for an hour each evening practicing. SketchUp has become second nature to me now just through practice although there is plenty more to learn.

SketchUp has a bunch of plugins that allow you to produce these nice renders of the SketchUp plan. Here's another render that I made of the shelf unit:

Also, I have to keep reminding myself not to get too bogged down in SketchUp. I could spend hours playing around with it and lose sight of the rest of the hobby. So no more SketchUp for a while. Next up will be some actual benchwork.

Edited by - kumard on 07/14/2016 1:23:41 PM

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  4:47:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

...Also, I have to keep reminding myself not to get too bogged down in SketchUp. I could spend hours playing around with it and lose sight of the rest of the hobby. So no more SketchUp for a while. Next up will be some actual benchwork.

I resemble that remark, a lot

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Grabnet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  8:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a wonderful project you have under way and will be a joy to follow along with you. I too really like the cassettes in use and have never seen three stack-able modules done like this. Very very creative!!!

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  9:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your modules should be strong enough that they won't flex when you pick them up and move them around. That's also strong enough that you'd only need to support them at the four corners. If your the shelf unit is strong enough that it won't collapse when someone stumbles against it, it should have no problem with the weight of three modules.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  11:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tom >> I too really like the cassettes in use and have never seen three stack-able modules done like this >> Tom, neither have I and that's what worries me!

James >> Your modules should be strong enough that they won't flex when you pick them up and move them around. >> The module design is based on The Depot module which has so far survived four years of moving back and forth from the wall to my workbench - no flexing or other problems have arisen. As long as I stick to the original design and use the same structure and lumber sizes I think the other modules will turn out very sturdy. The shelf unit is another matter - the lumber sizes being used are crucial to it being solid and safe. I might have a woodworking pal come in to advise and assist in that department.

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  01:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

Tom >>...The shelf unit is another matter - the lumber sizes being used are crucial to it being solid and safe. I might have a woodworking pal come in to advise and assist in that department.

I agree. The shelf unit has over 3 times the load of a module.

I suggest you consider a Plan B as a backup in case the three-shelf version is impractical. It would double the size of your footprint, but how about two 2-shelf units? If at the same height, you could bridge the two units with a cassette. Double the footprint, but reduce the load by 1/3rd.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  1:47:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob >> I suggest you consider a Plan B as a backup in case the three-shelf version is impractical. >> Bob, no space. That's the problem otherwise I would lay them down side by side. The biggest issue is operation. The upper module may be too high and the lower one too low for regular operation. The shelves may end up being just storage racks and when I'm ready to 'play' I'll have to move each module to the middle shelf - not an easy task. I will most probably starting building the new module first and then once the woodwork is finished I'll have a better feel for the practicalities of the whole set up.

Edited by - kumard on 08/14/2016 11:49:44 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/24/2016 :  11:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Benchwork has begun!!

After completing the design of the cassette system for the Depot I felt I could now move ahead with the benchwork on The Town. Things have gone slower than anticipated and that's been down to mostly me not being happy with the track plan for The Town. However I do remember being unhappy with the track plan for The Depot at various times but I stuck with it and made the best of it and I believe that worked out just fine. Sometimes making the best of a situation creates its own fun challenges and so with a certain amount of faith I am pressing ahead.

I added some new elements to the plan to hopefully make things a bit more interesting.

Thumbing through my traction books recently I noticed some of the incredibly sharp curves of traction trackwork. Within just a few feet tracks would often make a 90 degree turn off a road and into some kind of yard situated perpendicular to the roadway. I really wanted to model that feature.

I also wanted to have a roadway with storefronts that would fade into the distance. There were scenes taken from one of my favorite books: Trains of the Upper Midwest by Marvin Nielsen that inspired me. In particular a scene of a roadway buildings fading into the distance but cut in half by a train appearing from the left hand side out from behind those same buildings.

Here's my first attempt to incorporate these two ideas into the plan:

This change of course brought its own issues, one being that I had a piece of trackwork that sliced a turnout in half:

So to make my life a little easier I got rid of the turnout at that point and turned that track into a long siding for a coal delivery installation. I made other changes to the carbarn area as well to make room for the road and here is the result:

The basic plan:

The basic plan with notes:

The areas marked with question marks are still being worked out. I want some trees in the layout - properly made trees - not the simplistic background trees of the Depot. I suspect some of those areas will be filled with trees.

I am also not sure what the backdrop is going to look like. I'll study more books and pictures to get some kind of assemblage together. It will probably end up being some kind of collage created in Photoshop. I'll tackle that later rather than sooner.

I'm often asked what the purpose of the cutout well is. It has no real purpose other than being a presentation feature. I first saw the concept on an Tasmanian layout featured on the Micro Layouts website. I thought it was a great presentation device. Here's a picture I found of it:

The makers took the idea much further and had cut out areas either side of the baseboard. For me the cutout well allows me to view trains close to the edge of the baseboard as I think they look really good when up against the edge. It also softens the look of a rigid rectangular design and helps emphasize the flow of the trackwork.

Anyhow it was time to get started with the benchwork.

Here's a much more accurate drawing of what I am trying to build:

The first part is the base. I'll get to the backdrop next week.

Step 1. Lumber

The first time I ever entered a lumber yard was when I was building The Depot. I now know my way around the yard pretty well. The local lumber yard did most of the cutting for me.

Step 2. Base

The base lower level came first. Very straightforward. I used screws to assemble it. The beams are pine 3.5 inches by 0.75 inch.

I like to make plastic jigs to help me keep the spacing consistent across the all beams.

Step 3. Cutout Well

I traced the outline onto the board and then used a jigsaw to cut it out.

Step 4. Board elevation

I used some struts to raise the main board above the outer beams.

I made some more jigs to help me locate the screw holes to secure the board on the struts. Here's the finished article. I'll add the sides next week when I am building the backdrop

I added the plan back to the board and eventually it will be glued down.

So that's the point I'm at. Next week I'll build the backdrop.

Thanks all!

Edited by - kumard on 08/01/2016 3:30:45 PM

Page: of 15 Topic Next Topic: The Depot (at Carendt)  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000