Railroad Line Forums - The Town
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: PMStrains ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Town
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Original Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II
Page: of 18

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  2:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today I'm starting my new model railway called 'the Town'. It will be another location on the same branch line that my other model 'The Depot' (at Carendt) is situated along.

I'll spend some time in the next couple of months fleshing out the universe that this branch line lives within - namely history, geographical, location, time period, other stations/depots/stops etc. For the moment this is what I have:

• Somewhere in the upper Midwest.

• The time period is a mixture of the late 50s, early 60s.

• The branch is over 100 miles long. It's connected to a mainline in the south-east.

• It's crossed in several places by other railroads.

• It ends in a small terminus in a small town in the north-west.

• The branch is a Soo Line branch that was taken over in some kind of merger or purchase and has never been a favorite of the administration. Its financial returns, marginal at best, are now no longer able to sustain it and it has been marked for closure within two years.

• Passenger travel ended in the early 50s but the occasional fan trip from the Soo Line Historical Society sends a steam engine up the line with eager rail fans every few years.

Here's the photo that will provide the aesthetic foundation for the model. It has been a favorite of mine for some time now. Although the picture is set in winter or early spring I'll keep the model within summertime but with the usual muted colors.
1/12/15 - With the assistance of another forum member I was able to trace the source of the image (thank you Robert Chant). As I suspected it is copyrighted. I've written to the owner to allow me to post it here but in the meantime I've removed it and have replaced it with a link to the official source.
http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=18320

Here's a sketch of the layout. It's of a simple loop but crossed by another line. The other line is the remains of a local traction company that also serviced several industries. The traction company has long gone along with its electric power and a few remaining industrial tracks are now serviced by the Soo.

I'll post more this week. I'm trying to learn a rail design program to produce a proper working diagram. I intend to start construction in March beginning with the benchwork. The size will be 72 inches with 18 inches.
http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 01/12/2016 5:29:05 PM

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  3:03:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Kumar,

I've loved the Carendt story over the months (I can almost smell the rain), but I'm REALLY looking forward to this one. I'm a small town junkie, Southern style, to be sure, but any small town is wonderful.

Steve Flanigan

robchant
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/10/2016 :  9:50:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumar,

Very nice to see the next stage begin! Sounds like you have some very interesting inspiration. However, I was very surprise to see Forest, Ontario provide the enticement. As always, I will be watching your progress.

(I wish CN had RS1s in the yellow and green scheme, it would combine my favourite loco and one of my favourite paint schemes.)

Take care,
Rob.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  12:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You sold me with the CN engine!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  08:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kumar,

Lots of scope for some great work here. And I agree, the CN locomotive makes it.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

k9wrangler
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  1:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an impressive "forest" of TV antennae in that photo

BE SAFE!!
Karl Scribner
Kentucky Southern Railway

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  2:55:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like fun.

Mike

Michael
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  3:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumar:

Always like the small towns for modelling possibilities, they "look right" on any layout.

Looking forward to your progress.

Michael

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  02:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
get on work , good idea

Frank The Cowboybilly

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  09:19:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be following along on this one too, Kumard.

George

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  1:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve Flanigan >> I've loved the Carendt story over the months (I can almost smell the rain), but I'm REALLY looking forward to this one. >> Great! It has also been really good for me to show it to others. I joined the forum three or four years ago but didn't feel confident enough to show my work until I knew I had something worthy to show - silly I know, but there you go. The forum has been a great place to get advice, feedback and also keep me working on things regularly. Anyhow now I feel confident enough start over with a new layout and show progress from the beginning. I'm looking forward to it. Hope you enjoy.

Rob Chant >> However, I was very surprise to see Forest, Ontario provide the enticement. >> I've been trying to trace the source of the photo, at least you figured out the location for me - that's a start. I have over 30,000 pictures of trains from around the world on my computer. I don't remember where this one came from. They popup on my screensaver every 30 seconds and if I want to find it I have to root through all 30,000 images. Even though the image is of a CN depot it's one of the very few that I have found (that is not from a book) that show a working train being loaded. I'm just going to use the look and feel from the photo. Many of the colors in the photo are currently being used on 'The Depot' so there will be a nice consistency between the two layouts.

Michael >>Lots of scope for some great work here. And I agree, the CN locomotive makes it. >> Agreed, although sadly I'm not going to use that scheme. I will however purchase a Soo Line RS1 (one of my favorite all time locomotives) in the original Soo dark red scheme which will somewhat match the mood of the picture.

k9wrangler >> What an impressive "forest" of TV antennae in that photo >> Good point - and one that I'm intending to replicate either on the buildings or in the backdrop. They are an essential feature for setting the location. Often I catch myself looking at telegraph poles and antennas simply because I like the pattern they make in the sky. I absolutely want them on the layout

Mike >> Looks like fun. Sure will be - hope you enjoy

Michael >> Always like the small towns for modelling possibilities, they "look right" on any layout. >> The Depot did in fact start off as an Iain Rice town-based track plan but I didn't have the confidence to scratch-build all the buildings so I adapted it for the countryside and stripped it bare of non-essential structures. Now I feel ready really tackle something more substantial and the layout will definitely have more emphasis on buildings.

Cowboybilly >> get on work , good idea >> "Will do. Thanks Cowboybilly"

George D >> I'll be following along on this one too, Kumard. Great, thanks. I'll post more progress on the planning next week

First step is the track plan in proper diagram form. As soon as I have something to show I'll put it up online.

Edited by - kumard on 01/12/2016 1:46:32 PM

Grabnet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  3:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am late to the party and agree this will be a fantastic layout and a nice build to follow along. Doc Tom

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  8:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

Michael >>Lots of scope for some great work here. And I agree, the CN locomotive makes it. >> Agreed, although sadly I'm not going to use that scheme. I will however purchase a Soo Line RS1 (one of my favorite all time locomotives) in the original Soo dark red scheme which will somewhat match the mood of the picture.

Kumar, The early Alco's are also my favorite diesels no matter what paint scheme or railroad.
Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/13/2016 :  11:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Kumard, What web site do have that shoots train pixs every 30 seconds on your screen?
That sounds pretty cool'. BTW , very nice work on your layout. The back drop is killer fantastic'.
Will be flowing along on this project as well'..

Ted

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  4:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kumar, The early Alco's are also my favorite diesels no matter what paint scheme or railroad.
Mike

Glad to hear it. What is not to like about the RS1. Just a superb piece of design: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=361260

Edited by - kumard on 01/14/2016 4:46:42 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  5:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Ted >> What web site do have that shoots train pixs every 30 seconds on your screen? >> I collected the images over the years from various sources, online mainly, and they were originally meant to be for modelling purposes but then I got carried away and before I knew it I had 30,000. I think there is probably a medical name for my collecting problem.

>> The back drop is killer fantastic >> TY! The new backdrop will be the same size except of a town roofscape (and surrounding countryside where applicable). I'm going to work on that early on and get it out the way.

Edited by - kumard on 01/14/2016 5:13:30 PM

Page: of 18 Topic Next Topic: Original Kittom Lumber Company. Volume II  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000